Poster presentation vs job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GlitteringGold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be starting a PhD program in the fall, but I'm not quite sure what would be the best use of my time during the summer. Currently I work in a research lab with a graduate student, and he told me I could come up with a question that fits within our current project and produce a first author poster. The research isn't quite the same line of research that I plan to pursue in graduate school, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to prepare a poster at this point. I also have the opportunity to work part time to bring in some extra money - which would be helpful before taking on student loans. Unfortunately I don't have time to pursue both options, any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you can't do both? You can throw a poster together in well under 10 hours total time. When you get good at it and just need one to secure funding for a conference, you can usually throw it together in less than an hour.

Are you sure you can't do both? You can throw a poster together in well under 10 hours total time. When you get good at it and just need one to secure funding for a conference, you can usually throw it together in less than an hour.
I left out some details about the project - at this point we are still doing data collection from participants, so I wouldn't be doing data analysis until the summer, that is, if we finish collecting data before I leave for school. My lab schedule is structured and set, so I would have to choose to continue with data collection in hopes that we'll finish before I leave, or take the job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, that changes things. If the project looked like it could net you a publication/manuscript as a 2nd or 3rd author, I'd go with that. If it's just a poster, I'd be considering the job, if I had to make a choice. I did both in my year off, although was quite busy and usually out in 60-70 hour weeks.

Reactions: 1 users