postdoc hours NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrG1980

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is my first post. Thanks in advance. I completed my PsyD in school psych from Fairleigh Dickinson in May. Now I am looking to fulfill postdoc hours in a part-time capacity. My ultimate goal is private practice. I worked as a school psych for 6 years and do not want to fulfill postdoc in the schools. I am considering either a university setting nearby (Westchester County), or joining a private practice. My questions are around the hours required for part-time. The minimum requirement per week is 16 hours. I am concerned about maintaining consistency in a setting. For example, I was offered a position teaching 2 courses at a university for the fall... but what if I don't get the same opportunity in the spring? The NY licensing site says you must be consistently employed. If I should have a semester where I cannot secure a position teaching at least 6 semester hours (the minimum requirement), will I have to start all over again? How much lag time can occur?

I tried to call the board but every question I asked was answered in such a vague fashion, it was hard to really know the answer. Something was mentioned about a limited permit. Is this necessary in any setting or only a private practice?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

this is my first post. Thanks in advance. I completed my PsyD in school psych from Fairleigh Dickinson in May. Now I am looking to fulfill postdoc hours in a part-time capacity. My ultimate goal is private practice. I worked as a school psych for 6 years and do not want to fulfill postdoc in the schools. I am considering either a university setting nearby (Westchester County), or joining a private practice. My questions are around the hours required for part-time. The minimum requirement per week is 16 hours. I am concerned about maintaining consistency in a setting. For example, I was offered a position teaching 2 courses at a university for the fall... but what if I don't get the same opportunity in the spring? The NY licensing site says you must be consistently employed. If I should have a semester where I cannot secure a position teaching at least 6 semester hours (the minimum requirement), will I have to start all over again? How much lag time can occur?

I tried to call the board but every question I asked was answered in such a vague fashion, it was hard to really know the answer. Something was mentioned about a limited permit. Is this necessary in any setting or only a private practice?

Thanks in advance.
The limited permit is required for all people accruing hours towards licensure.

The hours you are accruing have to be clinical hours... something like part-time teaching would not qualify.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile