Postdoc Advice Late in the Training Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrAnonymous45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many of the goals on the remediation plan appear quite unobtainable. My supervisors have certainly set the bar high. Without getting into specifics I've ran their plan by past supervisors in this area of the field as well as colleagues and they are quite shocked at what is being demanded. I fear that I will be unsuccessful with this plan as it sits now and we will likely be moving toward dismissal before I finish my 12 months.

How often have you been checking in with your postdoc supervisors to assess your progress toward your goals? Did you discuss the feasibility of the plan with your supervisors at the time?

If I were in your shoes I would have the same concerns. I think you probably want to contact a training director level person at your post doc to ask these questions, or, if you don't think you'd be comfortable with that / able to do that, someone through APPIC. I do think in general, if it comes down to it, you would be in a better position moving forward having resigned versus having been let go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Building on what MamaPhD said, when you were placed on the remediation plan did you discuss what the goals were going to be, what steps you needed to take on a weekly basis, and what supports are needed/available to help you accomplish it?

How often have you been checking in with your postdoc supervisors to assess your progress toward your goals? Did you discuss the feasibility of the plan with your supervisors at the time?

x

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I would have the same concerns. I think you probably want to contact a training director level person at your post doc to ask these questions, or, if you don't think you'd be comfortable with that / able to do that, someone through APPIC. I do think in general, if it comes down to it, you would be in a better position moving forward having resigned versus having been let go.

x

Last edited:
Building on what MamaPhD said, when you were placed on the remediation plan did you discuss what the goals were going to be, what steps you needed to take on a weekly basis, and what supports are needed/available to help you accomplish it?

x

Last edited:
Is there anyone at your program who is supportive, someone who might be something of an advocate for you? As much as possible, now is the time to seek advice from people who are at least sympathetic to your situation. However, talking to the training director and laying out your goals, your feedback so far, and gaps in your understanding of your progress would be useful. As difficult as it might be to seek it out, this is the worst time for vague, non-actionable feedback. They are holding you accountable, but this really works both ways. Don't give them an easy out on the home stretch.

By the way, are the "unattainable" goals related to clinical practice or research? I know you don't want to divulge too many details but it's hard to get a sense of what you're up against. There's unattainable in the sense of "I can't do this working 40-45 hours/week" and there's the truly impossible. Maybe this lies somewhere in between?

Reactions: 1 user