PostBacc or MS - Career Changer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedDesigner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS Industrial Design
Background in Biomaterials Technology, 1 semester of Physics, and 1 semester of Calc
No Bio or chem, no labs.
GPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.75 (only includes Engineering (3 credits), Biomaterials Technology (3credits), Environmental Science (3 credits), and Physics (3 credits) - Am I calculating this correctly?)

Considering MD/DO or PhD.
I want to do research (most likely clinical) but I am also interested in the application of medicine and working with patients. I have a year of work experience in med tech and start an integrative medicine fellowship next month where I will get to shadow doctors. I also plan to volunteer this year.

I am planning to apply for fall of 2018 and I am trying to decide between a MS or Post-bacc program. I thought an MS would be a better way to go because then I can decide if the MD or PhD is the route I want to go and I can get more research experience. Unfortunately, I'm worried I won't be able to get all the credits I'll need to get into Med School. Another option could be to take some of the courses at night this coming spring and summer at a community college.

The post baccs I have been looking at are
DC: (I live in DC now and would prefer not to move again)
George Washington University
Georgetown University - Or their MS in BioTechnology
American University

MD:
John Hopkins University - Or MS in Biomedical Engineering
University of Maryland (Science at Night cert)

Illinois (I'm from Chicago suburbs):
Northwestern University - Or MS in BioTechnology or Biomedical Engineering
Loyola University

CA: (could be nice to live on the west coast and much cheaper but cost of living is higher. The moving costs + cost of living probably wouldn't out weigh the price of staying and going to a school like Georgetown)
UCLA
San Francisco State
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State San Marcos

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? All is welcome and appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't taken any pre-req yet so post bacc will be your best option.
You haven't taken MCAT either.
There are lot of school they offer post bacc or take some classes at CC or 4 years state university.
No matter you go MD or DO route you have to have pre-reqs, MCAT, EC and shadowing.

@dial1010usa Thank you! This makes sense and is what I figured would need to be done.
Just to make sure, pre-reqs have to be included in my undergrad GPA? They wouldn't be able to have been done during an MS (if that's even possible)

Just to make sure, pre-reqs have to be included in my undergrad GPA? They wouldn't be able to have been done during an MS (if that's even possible)[/QUOTE]

Yes, your pre-reqs will be added to your uGPA as long as those are not done via masters program. Master/smp gpa will be considered separate as a graduate degree. Spend time and money on DIY post bacc.