Post your Chance threads here 2017-2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC206R

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured this would be a good time for you pre-dents applying this year. When asking those "chance me" questions, it would be great if you provide GPA( sgpa, BCP, etc), DAT scores, volunteering hours, any significant ECs, credit card numbers.

If you don't have DAT scores, it's hard for us to "chance" you. Keep that in mind. And I kid about CC numbers. Don't do that. Best of luck to you all this cycle!

-DC206R DDS '21

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I can't believe it's already that time again :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only fitting you start the new one bro.

Reactions: 1 user
CA resident
oGPA 3.3x sGPA 3.1x
DAT: 24AA 22TS
150 shadowing hours
100+ volunteering hours
Work as a tutor for my school for the last 2 years about 10 hours a week

Any suggestions on which schools are good matches?

CA resident
oGPA 3.3x sGPA 3.1x
DAT: 24AA 22TS
150 shadowing hours
100+ volunteering hours
Work as a tutor for my school for the last 2 years about 10 hours a week

Any suggestions on which schools are good matches?
UOP for sure. UCD is a huge feeder school for them too.

- Ohio resident (from Appalachian area), white male
- GPA: 4.0
- 21 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT
- 115 shadowing hours
- 120 community service hours
- some research, published a paper
- Tutor, general chemistry review session leader
- few club experiences or leadership
- no direct evidence of good hand skills except good hand-eye and good at video games
- okay to decent letters of recommendation

Applying to: Ohio State, Pitt, Marquette, probably Iowa, and maybe Louisville

Illinois Resident
GPA 3.7o 3.5 bcp
DAT 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
Shadow ~ 100
Volunteering ~ 150
ECs: Philanthropy Chair at Service Frat 1 year, member 3 years. Misc fundraisers, classroom volunteer, campus ministry, sports teams in non-leadership roles
Work: Dental Sterilization Tech, Nanny, Tutor

School List:
SIU and UIC (in-state applicant)
Marquette
BU
Tufts
NE
UConn

Illinois Resident
oGPA 3.7 bcp 3.55
DAT: 19 AA/ 19 Ts/ 20 PAT (No scores below 17)
Shadow: 200 hours (general practice + pediatric dentist practice + Community dental clinic)
Volunteer: 80+ hours at Food pantry, Daily soup kitchen, and public library
Leadership: Dance coordinator for organization at school for two semesters(50 hours) and organic chemistry supplemental instructor(still have this position) for a year (10 hours every week)
Research: 800 hours of biochemistry research and 40 hours of kinesiology research
Work:Over 1000 hours of patient care as an Optometric Technician, restaurant server, and dental clinic front desk receptionist starting next week.
I also have strong letter of recommendations written by professors, research PI, and dentist that know me very well.

Dental School list:
SIU(Resident)
UIC(Resident)
Marquette
Louisville
Touro
LECOM
Case Western
Meharry
West Virginia
Western University
VCU

What schools should I take out or add in?

Last edited:
Illinois Resident
GPA 3.7 bcp 3.55
DAT: 19 AA/ 19 Ts/ 20 PAT
Shadow: 200 hours (general practice + pediatric dentist practice + Community dental clinic)
Volunteer: 80+ hours at Food pantry, Daily soup kitchen, and public library
Leadership: Dance coordinator for organization at school for two semesters(50 hours) and organic chemistry supplemental instructor(still have this position) for a year (10 hours every week)
Research: 800 hours of biochemistry research and 40 hours of kinesiology research
Work:Over 1000 hours of patient care as an Optometric Technician, Restaurant server, and dental clinic front desk starting next week.

Dental School list:
SIU(Resident)
UIC(Resident)
Marquette
Louisville
Touro
LECOM
Case Western
Meharry
West Virginia
Western University
VCU

What schools should I take out or add in?

Take out WVU and add Pitt and Maryland (OOS friendly). If you're applying to LECOM, might want to add Nova Southeastern too.

- Ohio resident (from Appalachian area), white male
- GPA: 4.0
- 21 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT
- 115 shadowing hours
- 120 community service hours
- some research, published a paper
- Tutor, general chemistry review session leader
- few club experiences or leadership
- no direct evidence of good hand skills except good hand-eye and good at video games
- okay to decent letters of recommendation

Applying to: Ohio State, Pitt, Marquette, probably Iowa, and maybe Louisville
No Case Western?

Sounds good! Thank you!:) I thought WVU was oos friendly? Are they not?

Take out WVU and add Pitt and Maryland (OOS friendly). If you're applying to LECOM, might want to add Nova Southeastern too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good! Thank you!:) I thought WVU was oos friendly? Are they not?

They might be just because of the sheer lack of people who apply from West Virginia, but their class size is also very small, not sure if it's really worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida Resident
21AA/20TS/19PAT/26RC/17QR
3.2 uGPA( 3.6 GPA in last 60 credits of undergrad) 4.0Masters GPA, 3.4sGPA

I have taken virtually all of the recommended classes (Histology, Molecular and Cell biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology, human anatomy and physiology 1&2 etc. with A's in all of them)

Shadowing: 250+ hours between 2 generals, plus multiple specialties (Perio,OMFS,Endo)
Volunteering: 100 hours (roughly) assisting the band and drumline program at my high school
Research: 6 months of Prostate cancer research with no publications.
Work experience: I've worked as a waiter at Olive Garden for the past 4 years, and trained new employees at multiple positions.

Tufts
Nova
LECOM
UF
Temple
Creighton
Tuoro
BU
NYU
VCU
Indiana

CA resident
70+ cc units
(GPAs with +/-): BPC 3.68, cGPA: 3.68, nsGPA: 3.80, other science 3.63
Shadowing: 100hrs shadowing + 100 hrs volunteering in the same office (does this count as shadowing? my dentist wrote that I did 100hrs of volunteering with him on top of shadowing in his LOR)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS
EC: 300-400 hrs of volunteering, dance team... no leadership and no research
Work: medical assistant, dental assistant (more receptionist work), tutor, housemaid, restaurant work

Suggestions on what schools to add/ remove? Mostly remove though... I'd like to stay in the west coast

Western
UOP
USC
UCLA
UCSF <-- probably removing because I have zero research experience but I'm instate so idk
UNLV
OHSU
Midwestern-AZ
Roseman
Utah
Denver
Michigan
NYU
Touro
Upenn
Pitts

Arizona resident
DAT: 20AA, 20TS & 20PAT
GPA: 3.77oGPA/ 3.62sGPA
Shadow: 100 hours
Volunteer: 500 hours
EC: 1 semester of cadaver dissection, Club founder and president, HOSA fundraise committee member
Work: Enrollment counselor/tour guide at my school--about 20 hours a week all 3 years of school
Manual Dexterity: Played Cello & I sketch/paint (don't know if this matters LOL)
URM

Midwestern
ASDOH
University of Kentucky
Meharry
University of Louisville
Tufts
Creighton
Nova
OHSU
Temple
Marquette
Pittsburg

Thinking about adding UConn or UPenn for giggles.

I would add Columbia if you want

CA resident
70+ cc units
(GPAs with +/-): BPC 3.68, cGPA: 3.68, nsGPA: 3.80, other science 3.63
Shadowing: 100hrs shadowing + 100 hrs volunteering in the same office (does this count as shadowing? my dentist wrote that I did 100hrs of volunteering with him on top of shadowing in his LOR)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS
EC: 300-400 hrs of volunteering, dance team... no leadership and no research
Work: medical assistant, dental assistant (more receptionist work), tutor, housemaid, restaurant work

Suggestions on what schools to add/ remove? Mostly remove though... I'd like to stay in the west coast

Western
UOP
USC
UCLA
UCSF <-- probably removing because I have zero research experience but I'm instate so idk
UNLV
OHSU
Midwestern-AZ
Roseman
Utah
Denver
Michigan
NYU
Touro
Upenn
Pitts
Solid list and terrific stats. I would get rid of NYU, Utah, Roseman, MWU, and maybe Colorado. I'm not super familiar with UCSF, but you gotta apply since you're a CA res!

Edit: Pitt requires no more than 1/3 required and general credits be completed at a CC

Last edited:
Canadian, Toronto resident
3.74 culmulative GPA
DAT 20 AA 20 TS 19 PAT
100 + shadowing hours
100 hours research volunteering

Hey y'all normally just read on here but thought I'd post just for a reference in case it can help anyone.
Residence: RI
GPA: 3.9 sGPA: 3.85
DAT: 22AA, 21TS
Research:500+hours
Shadowing: 125ish hours
Volunteering/Leadership:150ish hours
School List: UConn, Stony Brook, Pitt, Penn, Columbia, Harvard, BU, Michigan, UCLA, Maryland, Rutgers, UNC
If any of y'all have suggestions for schools to add or remove from my list I'm all ears!
Stay blessed and good luck to everyone applying.

Last edited:
Hey y'all normally just read on here but thought I'd post just for a reference in case it can help anyone.
School List: UConn, Stony Brook, Pitt, Penn, Columbia, Harvard, BU, Michigan, UCLA, Maryland, Rutgers, UNC
If any of y'all have suggestions for schools to add or remove from my list I'm all ears!
Are you a NJ resident?

oGPA - 3.2
sGPA - 3.1
(3.85 oGPA for my past three years)
19 AA / 19 TS / 24 PAT
200+ Shadowing (40 hours at Dental School)
500 + Volunteering

Resident - MO

Applying to UMKC, MOSDOH, ASDOH, OK, IU.

Residence: RI

Add UCSF!!

Any specific schools that really like seeing undergrad research?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Although I'm trying to get better, I feel that I have poor interview skills, so I'm hoping that my stats/app make up for it. Curious if there are any schools that I should add or remove (I like research, but I'm not too keen on pursuing it as a career. I'd much rather keep it a hobby/EC, if that makes sense).

Cumulative GPA: 3.76
BCP GPA: 3.76
Science GPA: 3.70
Non-Science GPA: 3.94

DAT: 25 AA / 25 TS / 21PAT

Shadowing/volunteering:
200 shadowing hours (dental-related, +3 hrs/week on-going)
200 shadowing hours (other health)
200 volunteering hours (dental-related, +3 hrs/week on-going)
700 volunteering hours (other)

Work/research:
700 hours in undergraduate lab (one publication currently undergoing peer review)
1200 hours as research assistant (full-time post-bachelor's, +60 hrs/week on-going, no publications)

Resident: CA

Schools:
Arizona
Colorado
Columbia
Harvard
Indiana
Loma Linda
Michigan
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Oregon
SIU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UIC
UNLV
UOP
USC
UW
Utah
Western

Although I'm trying to get better, I feel that I have poor interview skills, so I'm hoping that my stats/app make up for it. Curious if there are any schools that I should add or remove (I like research, but I'm not too keen on pursuing it as a career. I'd much rather keep it a hobby/EC, if that makes sense).

Shadowing/volunteering:

Work/research:
700 hours in undergraduate lab (one publication currently undergoing peer review)
1200 hours as research assistant (full-time post-bachelor's, +60 hrs/week on-going, no publications)

Schools:
Arizona
Colorado
Columbia
Harvard
Indiana
Loma Linda
Michigan
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Oregon
SIU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UIC
UNLV
UOP
USC
UW
Utah
Western
Take SIU off. Not OOS friendly at all! I believe 98% of their class is made up of IL residents.

Reactions: 2 users

Shadowing/volunteering:

Work/research:

Schools:
Arizona
Colorado
Columbia
Harvard
Indiana
Loma Linda
Michigan
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Oregon
SIU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UIC
UNLV
UOP
USC
UW
Utah
Western
What alginate said. Take off all 3 IL schools. Super expensive and UIC + SIU not OOS friendly

Hi. This is my third time applying. I have 300 credits so far but I have a strong upward trend. My past 100 units have a 3.6 ~ average. However, my most recent 30-40 units have been a 4.0. I've been mostly taking these units as a post-bacc in a formal program. Yes, I understand there's diminishing returns for each additional unit, but i'm hoping that a strong upward trend will be noticed. At this point, I'm just wondering how I can differentiate myself from the crowd. I have a strong persistent interest in research but I have no publications. I also don't have a really strong leadership experience to talk about besides my data team leader experience. Currently, I'm residing in the bay area, so I'm looking at volunteering at UCSF - I have no clue how difficult it would be to get a position. Otherwise, I will be moving back to SoCal soon.

CA resident
Cum. GPA. 3.25
Sci. GPA : 3.21
DAT: 22 AA/21 TS/ 24 RC

-200 hours of dental assisting
-30 hours as a research assistant in an emergency room of a hospital.
-Tutor for a non profit for a year (once a week).
-Certification as a DA for California.
-Lab tech for roughly a year in a genetics lab.
-Student team leader for about a year in another genetics lab before that.

I received an interview for Touro last year but was rejected immediately due to my low GPA. Before that, I received an interview for NYU but was put on the waiting list because I applied late (October-November).

I'm applying to:
  1. Western
  2. UOP
  3. UCSF
  4. NYU
  5. Roseman
  6. Rutgers
  7. Tufts
  8. Temple
  9. Boston
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Nevada
  12. USC
  13. Maryland
  14. Arizona
  15. NOVA
  16. East Carolina
  17. LECOM
Thanks. Good luck everyone!

Hi. This is my third time applying. I have 300 credits so far but I have a strong upward trend. My past 100 units have a 3.6 ~ average. However, my most recent 30-40 units have been a 4.0. I've been mostly taking these units as a post-bacc in a formal program. Yes, I understand there's diminishing returns for each additional unit, but i'm hoping that a strong upward trend will be noticed. At this point, I'm just wondering how I can differentiate myself from the crowd. I have a strong persistent interest in research but I have no publications. I also don't have a really strong leadership experience to talk about besides my data team leader experience. Currently, I'm residing in the bay area, so I'm looking at volunteering at UCSF - I have no clue how difficult it would be to get a position. Otherwise, I will be moving back to SoCal soon.

CA resident
Cum. GPA. 3.25

I received an interview for Touro last year but was rejected immediately due to my low GPA. Before that, I received an interview for NYU but was put on the waiting list because I applied late (October-November).

I'm applying to:
  1. Western
  2. UOP
  3. UCSF
  4. NYU
  5. Roseman
  6. Rutgers
  7. Tufts
  8. Temple
  9. Boston
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Nevada
  12. USC
  13. Maryland
  14. Arizona
  15. NOVA
  16. East Carolina
  17. LECOM
Your GPA is a tad low but given everything else you've mentioned I'd expect you to get at least a few interviews - apply as early as you can and do any EC's you can find and update your schools with emails along the way!

CA resident
Cum. GPA. 3.25

I'm applying to:
  1. Western
  2. UOP
  3. UCSF
  4. NYU
  5. Roseman
  6. Rutgers
  7. Tufts
  8. Temple
  9. Boston
  10. Pittsburgh
  11. Nevada
  12. USC
  13. Maryland
  14. Arizona
  15. NOVA
  16. East Carolina
  17. LECOM
ECU only takes NC residents

Shadowing/volunteering:

Work/research:

Schools:
Arizona
Colorado
Columbia
Harvard
Indiana
Loma Linda
Michigan
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Oregon
SIU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UIC
UNLV
UOP
USC
UW
Utah
Western
I would switch NYU/Tufts with Temple/Pitt/Penn.

Shadowing/volunteering:

Work/research:

Schools:
Arizona
Colorado
Columbia
Harvard
Indiana
Loma Linda
Michigan
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
NYU
Oregon
SIU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
UIC
UNLV
UOP
USC
UW
Utah
Western
There is no need for you to apply to 22 schools lol you have stats that would be competitive anywhere

There is no need for you to apply to 22 schools lol you have stats that would be competitive anywhere

Haha yeah thanks, that's what I'm hoping, and I'm trying to trim down my list to <10, but I just keep second-guessing myself. I'm planning to try and just whittle it down everyday as I think about it over the next month.

International student
oGPA:3.83
sGPA: 3.78
DAT: 24AA/25TS/23PAT
Shadowing: 150 hours (general)
Volunteering: 100+ hours
Research: 600 hours
EC: Dragon boat rowing, Tutor, Translation work

Schools:
UoP
USC
Columbia
NYU
UPenn
BU
Tufts
Maryland
UCLA (?)
UCSF (?)

Are there any schools I should add that are international student friendly? Or any schools I should be taking out? Thanks in advance everyone!

First of all thanks for the two of you for helping out us applicants!

Bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.69
Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering
DAT score: TBD (Please recommend what score would be needed to be competitive) I think i can realistically get a 20 AA.
Extracurricular: (1) summer mechanical engineering internship, (1) summer/part time during school year mechanical engineering internship, then hired on as a full capacity engineer before graduation, working part time during the school year, then walking onto the job after graduation. Worked ~25 hours a week, waiting tables, managing a bowling ally, and other odd jobs until my engineering internships. So my EC's besides engineering is non existent.
Shadowing hours: ~100 hrs general dentist
Assisting hours: ~1000 hrs, I also helped build a new dental office, keep the books, ordering, developed company website/brand identity/logo, and equipment maintenance. (I wanted to learn everything about how to run a practice, not just assisting).
Letters of rec: 3 total: Microbiology Professor (moderate), Chemistry professor (strong), and a general dentist (extremely strong).
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: mid July
Professional goals: General dentistry (Probably in rural Maine)
State of residence: ME
Misc info you think is important: Worked as a mechanical engineer for a few years after graduation. Realized I would rather fix people than machines. Quit my job and started working as a dental assistant and re-enrolled in school to take prerequisites. Taking a leap of faith.

Any advice to make my application better would be greatly appreciated, I am very nervous after having pulled a 180 in my career that I won't get in. Recommendation for school to apply to are also welcome as I will be applying broadly.

welp guess its time to start pulling the trigger with all these.... more need help with choosing schools since I know some basics, but not the nitty gritty, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated

CA resident
oGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.58
bcpGPA: 3.7
DAT: AA: 21, TS: 21, PAT: 21, BIO:20, GC: 21, OC: 21, QR: 22, RC: 19 (still don't know what happened there lol)
Shadowing: around 100 in general, ortho, pedo, perio... still getting more by submission though
Service: ~300 hrs
Research: ~450 hrs in two different projects both with biomath modeling
Work: >1000 hrs

My main insecurity with my app is that I started as an engineer and switched majors to an individualized thing, so I don't really have a normal mix of classes. Not sure if that will be a red flag to adcoms.

Schools:
UOP
UCLA
UCSF
USC
Western
Creighton
Michigan
Tufts
Penn
Columbia (bc why not i guess)

I need help choosing more. Also have been thinking: OHSU (but dont have Biochem lab), Colorado, BU, Temple, or Case Western (but don't know much about them). Torn on LLU, since its CA but scared of the SDA environment. Any ones I should add/drop? Thanks all!

Last edited:
Haha yeah thanks, that's what I'm hoping, and I'm trying to trim down my list to <10, but I just keep second-guessing myself. I'm planning to try and just whittle it down everyday as I think about it over the next month.

Preach. Im applying to 28 schools with a 3.9, 21 and Masters degree. At this point I'm trading money to calm my own damn nerves.