Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No it isn't gonna prevent admissions if anything it'll be something adcoms ask you and maybe your personal statement is a lot more interesting about why the career switch. Do you have a lot of dental related experience in terms of EC's? I know schools wanna see you're gonna stick to dentistry and that shows through committing to more and more dental related EC's. Your DAT is insane and your gpa is great. Just think your EC's should reflect that dentistry is definitely your only interest now. An adcom at the dental school in Houston told me this info by the way of ECs for those switching from medicine to dentistry
Ps: I know the Ivy leagues are super heavy on research and ECs ... And UCLA and UPenn

Also I'd say just wait a little longer. You applied relatively more recently and you should get a lot more interviews
Thank you, man. I definitely appreciate your input! Yeah, I have pretty solid ECs, but I'm sure they could always be more dental-oriented. I just started a research position in a dental lab, but unfortunately, that was after I submitted. Is it weird to send update letters to the more research-focused schools if I don't hear from them within the next month or two? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I knew myself! Maybe it was my nervousness that got to me and the pressure I felt of retaking it. I also got a lot of topics on the science sections that I should have went over more throughly while studying.
You had a 21 TS the first time, why'd you retake anyway!? And yeah I was incredibly nervous the first time I took it. I felt the pressure on a retake but I literally went frozen mode and had the parody of let it go in my head ("f*ck it all or something like that) as I walked in. It was basically, if I didn't do better a gap year was a realistic possibility.

Yes, unfortunately. Waitlisted at 2 schools, and genuinely not interested anymore lol. How could you tell? and does that have a significant impact on me getting into dental school? I understand how it may look, but is it bad enough to literally prevent admission?
Because you called an interview a II. It will not have that big of an effect as long as you show a genuine interest in dentistry through shadowing and other activities. Do you have a lot of volunteering related to medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, man. I definitely appreciate your input! Yeah, I have pretty solid ECs, but I'm sure they could always be more dental-oriented. I just started a research position in a dental lab, but unfortunately, that was after I submitted. Is it weird to send update letters to the more research-focused schools if I don't hear from them within the next month or two? Thanks again!
Thank you *woman. Ahah. Im glad my opinion could help. You have a TON of great ECs all in all. So I mean if you're not applying to any med schools and they're all dental... It's just human you went through a career change. Don't sweat, your stats are killer and so are your EC's. You'll be more than fine. And I think you should def send them the update! I mean it could only help. Def send ! Good luck you'll do great.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied late August and this cycle I am applying next week. I know it is late but I was waitlisted till the very end so i couldn't apply earlier. My experiences widened and I am planning on scoring higher on the DAT ! (hopefully 3rd times the charm !)
Thanks for replying to my post !
Well you've improved on the whole so I'm sure it'll only work in favor for you! Keep us updated about the DAT. Haha no problem ... Maybe you can reply to my chance thread lol ;)

Because you called an interview a II. It will not have that big of an effect as long as you show a genuine interest in dentistry through shadowing and other activities. Do you have a lot of volunteering related to medicine?

Oh lol, that's funny. I didn't know that was a thing. Most of my volunteering is just health care in general, a lot of health education (and a year of 6th grade math lol) in underserved communities, and recently a student-run dental health clinic, which was awesome. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you *woman. Ahah. Im glad my opinion could help. You have a TON of great ECs all in all. So I mean if you're not applying to any med schools and they're all dental... It's just human you went through a career change. Don't sweat, your stats are killer and so are your EC's. You'll be more than fine. And I think you should def send them the update! I mean it could only help. Def send ! Good luck you'll do great.

Oops! My bad, lol. Thank you, woman! No med schools anymore, teeth are too fun. I'll draft it up soon, I really appreciate the great advice and soothing words. I feel like I'm going crazy! Good luck! I think you're going to crush it :)

I feel like since I have not heard back yet, I should post my stats as well.
Application submission date: 06/20/2016
oGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.23
Masters GPA: 3.92 (I'm half way through my masters in Biological sciences. Only have two semesters left)
DAT: 19AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 19 QR, 18 RC
Shadowing: over 400 hours
Volunteering: over 350 hours
I also held a lot of leadership positions in different organizations through out college and was also a student athlete.
Residency:TX

All 3 TX schools
Touro
Case Western
UNE
NOVA
ATSU
MWU-IL
MWU-AZ
Boston University
West Virginia
UNLV

What do you guys think my chances are?

I think you have a decent shot, especially with your masters gpa. My masters gpa is similar to yours and your overall & science aadsas calculated gpas are higher than mine. Its still pretty early..I feel like you are bound to hear from some private schools at some point, hopefully by end of October. What they may be hesitant about is the fact that you're still in the middle of your masters and most schools want to wait for grades.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity:

uGPA: 3.30, 3.18(science).....D1 college athlete....
gGPA: 4.0 (M.S Biology with thesis, 2 semesters left)
oGPA: 3.37, 3.30(science)
DAT: 19AA/19TS

Great ECs, 350 Research hours (paid), 300 Volunteer, 200 Shadow hrs
Worked in banking full time 1.5 years before returning for a masters, so TONS of work experience hrs.

I was realistic in choosing the places I applied to. I know that my stats are nothing special, and I wasn't going to give myself false hope in a school with high average stats, but I'm wondering if I'll even be considered by any schools.

Any other thoughts?
You're app was really complete around the same time my app was complete (okay maybe 3 weeks earlier) but I think we are in the same kinda "wave". Most schools are on the July and beginning of August complete apps so I'm sure we have time. Many people don't hear for like a month or two. So let's hope we hear before that but it's really not too late at all.

Out of curiosity:

uGPA: 3.30, 3.18(science).....D1 college athlete....
gGPA: 4.0 (M.S Biology with thesis, 2 semesters left)
oGPA: 3.37, 3.30(science)
DAT: 19AA/19TS

Great ECs, 350 Research hours (paid), 300 Volunteer, 200 Shadow hrs
Worked in banking full time 1.5 years before returning for a masters, so TONS of work experience hrs.

I was realistic in choosing the places I applied to. I know that my stats are nothing special, and I wasn't going to give myself false hope in a school with high average stats, but I'm wondering if I'll even be considered by any schools.
Apply to a lot of private schools and I think you should be pretty good. If anything would hold you back it would be the DAT but your masters GPA is really good and your UGPA isn't too bad either. Hopefully your EC's outshine the 19. The score is not too bad but it's not too good so good EC's will def help on the whole. Good luck keep us updated :)

GPA:oops:GPA: 3.19 nsGPA:2.98 sGPA: ~3.34 (BCP: 3.31)
AA:20 PAT: 23 QR: 19 RC: 22 BIO: 21 GC: 20 OC: 18 TS: 20
shadowing: ~100 hours general dentist
Work: Car Salesman throughout college, 1 year at non-profit working with children, now in a program as a dental assistant full time.
Residency: AR
Volunteering: ~100 hours from various things, Teaching assistant for an upper division chemistry course.
EC: President of Dental society in college, won various martial arts competitions.
Research: ~300 hours in a chemistry lab
~300 in a neuropsychology lab as a lab technician.

School list:
LECOM
Marquette
MWU
Missouri
NYU
Temple
UL
Colorado
Tufts
UL
NEB
USC
UTHSC

Bump. because I am beginning to lose hope. :nailbiting: If I don't get in this cycle should I just retake my DAT?

Bump. because I am beginning to lose hope. :nailbiting: If I don't get in this cycle should I just retake my DAT?
I think your DAT is actually fine. I think the only problem that could be holding you back is the low GPA's. Might wanna do a masters or post bacc for a year and then apply? When was your app complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your DAT is actually fine. I think the only problem that could be holding you back is the low GPA's. Might wanna do a masters or post bacc for a year and then apply? When was your app complete?

7/29 for my last letter of rec. but I had my application in by early july.

7/29 for my last letter of rec. but I had my application in by early july.
A lot of schools are still on July apps so just wait a little. Like 2-3 weeks before getting worried I'd say. I've heard apps complete in July sometimes don't hear till November

A lot of schools are still on July apps so just wait a little. Like 2-3 weeks before getting worried I'd say. I've heard apps complete in July sometimes don't hear till November

Oh wow I thought I should have heard back by now. Thank you!

GPA: 3.8 oGPA, 3.7 sGPA
DAT: 25AA, 26TS, 21RC, 22PAT
Shadowing: ~50 hrs
Volunteering: ~200 hrs (Vice President of a Pre-Health Organization, Medical Outreaches)
Research: 6 months (~150 hrs)
Work: Assistant at Dental School (only for my 1st year though)
Residency: CA

Because of family circumstances, I will probably only be applying to UCLA. How are my chances? And what could I do in the next 6 months to improve those chances?

Volunteering: ~200 hrs (Vice President of a Pre-Health Organization, Medical Outreaches)

Because of family circumstances, I will probably only be applying to UCLA. How are my chances? And what could I do in the next 6 months to improve those chances?

Risky risky risky.

Too risky. You have good stats, but I would apply to at least 4 schools if you want to make sure you get in that cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Too risky. You have good stats, but I would apply to at least 4 schools if you want to make sure you get in that cycle.
I agree completely. Your stats are fantastic, without a doubt you would have got an interview if you applied a few months ago. But considering UCLA is extremely slow in general with sending out invites, it may be unlikely to get an interview with them now or in any case it will be a later in the interview cycle. You should still give it a chance, but maybe also send out to other schools if you really want to go to dental school. Also, do you have a CA residency?

I agree completely. Your stats are fantastic, without a doubt you would have got an interview if you applied a few months ago. But considering UCLA is extremely slow in general with sending out invites, it may be unlikely to get an interview with them now or in any case it will be a later in the interview cycle. You should still give it a chance, but maybe also send out to other schools if you really want to go to dental school. Also, do you have a CA residency?
Yes, I'm a California resident. I'll be applying the next cycle. What are some ways I can further improve my chances these next 6 months?

Schools that offer DMD/PhD combined degree value research the most. This you have a good shot, especially considering your current postbac plan.

I always thought these dual programs were alot more critical of GPA or ECs making them more competitive. I looked a bit into their class profiles and dont seem much more different than their DMD/DDS profiles. Am i overlooking something? Should I improve my dental background or continue to fully focus on research? I am fully dedicated to dental schools but not sure how to make that clear to admissions.

Thx

I always thought these dual programs were alot more critical of GPA or ECs making them more competitive. I looked a bit into their class profiles and dont seem much more different than their DMD/DDS profiles. Am i overlooking something? Should I improve my dental background or continue to fully focus on research? I am fully dedicated to dental schools but not sure how to make that clear to admissions.

Thx

I think both research and improving your dental background look really great to admissions. If you are deciding between the two I would try to get a dental related job because it shows you already have exposure to the field. You will be familiar with procedures, instruments, anatomy, etc. That's just my opinion though.

science GPA: 3.33
cGPA: 3.49
DAT: AA 26 (everything over 20)
Shadowing: ~50 mainly with GP and a few hours with a Periodontist
Volunteering: 170+
Research: none
Work: Worked in dorms in sophomore/junior year and am currently working for a dentist.
I'm currently on the leadership board of my school's predental club.
Also I currently have around ~50 hours volunteering at a dental clinic but I think I will add this to the shadowing hours because half of the time I shadow as well.

I'm currently a senior in undergrad right now but for next cycle how is this looking? I'll be adding more volunteer/shadowing hours throughout the year but is what I have right now ok? How bad is it that I don't have research?

I plan to apply to all the California Schools (except Loma Linda) but any suggestions for out of state schools?

Thank you!

Last edited:
What do you guys think my chances are to get in? I applied very broadly with the hopes of having at least one acceptance.

GPA: 3.93 oGPA 3.95 sGPA
DAT: 21AA, 23RC, 22 OC, 22 GC, 19 BIO, 17 QR, 20 PAT.
Shadowing: about 200 hours
Volunteering: 4200+ hours plus
Work: TA/ Tutor for Gen chem. Was hand selected by the dean of the college of Math and sciences. He also wrote one of my letters of recommendations.
Residency: California

School list:
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry (UCLA) *Reach school
University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry (UCSF)
University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (UOP)
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL) IL
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUF) MA
University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE)
Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)
Creighton University School of Dentistry (CRE) NE
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine (UNLV)
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry (OHSU) OR
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine (USN)
You got good stats and decent ECs, why didn't you apply to schools like UPenn or Columbia? And for California, Western?

What are my chances?

3.09 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 22RC,20 OC, 20 Gc, 22 BIO, 19 QR, 20 PAT
Volunteering: ~100 hours
Shadowing: ~125 hours
Work: 2 years of ~25-30 hours per week
Residency: KY

Applied to:
UK
Louisville
Indiana
LECOM
Connecticutt
Tennessee
NOVA
MUSC
Maryland
Tufts
NYU

oGPA: 3.7 sGPA: 3.6
24aa, 23ts, 21pat, none under 21

50 hours shadowing.
Volunteer about 150 hours over the course of a couple years
Research: lab assistant for a year, about 50-100 hours
Resident : Ohio
Ethnic: Regular ole white dude.
Sometimes I watch movies with the honors college and get free food, maybe I could work that in somehow?

School list:
Ohio State
Case Western
University of Detroit Mercy

I don't want to spend a boatload of money applying.

50 hours shadowing.
Sometimes I watch movies with the honors college and get free food, maybe I could work that in somehow?

School list:
Ohio State
Case Western

You need more shadowing. Also I know you said you don't want to spend a lot of money but if you don't get into any of those three schools, you'll have to spend that money all over again. I'd apply to atleast 6-7. Believe it or not, there are applicants with great GPAs and 24-25 DAT without interviews

Reactions: 2 users

50 hours shadowing.

School list:
Ohio State
Case Western

Yeah, the shadowing hours is the only thing lacking, IMO. Did you already hear back from those schools?

Yeah, the shadowing hours is the only thing lacking, IMO. Did you already hear back from those schools?
I'm applying next year. I'm hoping I can gain entrance into one of these because they're relatively inexpensive and nearby which will keep my traveling to a minimal. I'll probably extend the school list a bit if I can get HPSP but I want it between 3-6 schools. I mostly want a very good clinical education and a laid-back environment.

I'm applying next year. I'm hoping I can gain entrance into one of these because they're relatively inexpensive and nearby which will keep my traveling to a minimal. I'll probably extend the school list a bit if I can get HPSP but I want it between 3-6 schools. I mostly want a very good clinical education and a laid-back environment.

You'll be totally fine then haha. Boost those shadowing/clinical hours!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Case seemed very laid-back, great school.

Work: Worked in dorms in sophomore/junior year and am currently working for a dentist.
Also I currently have around ~50 hours volunteering at a dental clinic but I think I will add this to the shadowing hours because half of the time I shadow as well.

I'm currently a senior in undergrad right now but for next cycle how is this looking? I'll be adding more volunteer/shadowing hours throughout the year but is what I have right now ok? How bad is it that I don't have research?

I plan to apply to all the California Schools (except Loma Linda) but any suggestions for out of state schools?

Thank you!

Bump

Last edited:
You are fine.. actually, you are more than that! 26 AA is killer, GPA is average but you can improve it this last year. Research isnt make it or break it.. it is just a cherry on top. Go get shadowing and volunteer hours and you are more than solid. Good luck!

Work: Worked in dorms in sophomore/junior year and am currently working for a Prosthodontist.

Thank you!
Very nice DAT AA. 26 is probably 99.99 percentile. Good job. Just try to bring that GPA up. What undergraduate school are you at now?

What are my chances at Columbia, Harvard, and Penn?
-----------------
GPA Inc +/- (A+, A, A-, B+...): sGPA 3.60, cGPA 3.72
GPA w/o +/- (A, B, C...): sGPA 3.67, cGPA 3.81
DAT: 23 AA, 24 TS: 23 BIO, 23 GC, 25 OC, 20 PAT, 22 RC, 22 QR
Pre-College Credits: Lower tier state school
Undergraduate Education and Degree: Top state school
Degree: BA in romance language, I am almost fluent
Post-Bacc semester: Lower tier state school
Research: 1 year + poster presentation, no pubblications
LORs: 4 letters of rec
Personal Statement: Rewritten many times. Knock out essay.
Shadowing: 231 hours- general dentists and 1 OMFS (DMD/MD)
Work:
- Full-time at medical practice in PR and patient education (current and past summers)
- private organic chemistry tutor (2 semesters)
- private English tutor (1 semester abroad)
ECs:
- volunteer Health camp counselor (volunteer for 1 week)
- volunteer English teacher abroad (volunteer for 6 weeks)
- volunteer organic chemistry tutor
- language club (6 semesters)
- pre-dental association (5 semesters)
- sports club (5 semesters)
- pen-pal club (2 semesters)
Residence: Atlanta, GA
In my year off (now until decision made in 2017):
- Continue full-time job at med practice (40 hrs/week)
- Volunteer at a free dental clinic (3 hrs/ week)
- Volunteer at Hospice (pending)
- Volunteer at Red Cross
- Part-time Kaplan DAT teacher (pending)
- Shadow dentists/doctors (5 hrs/week)
- More research experience (possibly at GA tech, Emory or CDC)
- (hopefully some time to travel and enjoy the world!)
bump

Very nice DAT AA. 26 is probably 99.99 percentile. Good job. Just try to bring that GPA up. What undergraduate school are you at now?

Thanks! Yeah my GPA is definitely a problem that I'm trying to fix but we'll see. As for what undergrad uh let's just say it's a very difficult one objectively speaking.

You are fine.. actually, you are more than that! 26 AA is killer, GPA is average but you can improve it this last year. Research isnt make it or break it.. it is just a cherry on top. Go get shadowing and volunteer hours and you are more than solid. Good luck!

Thank you! I guess I'm just a little worried with everyone else having such amazing stats and better EC esp since my state schools are kinda top tier /: do you have any suggestions for out of state schools?

Thank you! I guess I'm just a little worried with everyone else having such amazing stats and better EC esp since my state schools are kinda top tier /: do you have any suggestions for out of state schools?
Well that is something you should personally look into.. The tuition, program curriculum, tuition, clinical experience, tuition, and many other things including TUITION play a role in deciding which school is right for you. Lol jk, tuition is definitely a big deal too though if you are attempting to pay for it through loans vs. saved money.

Haven't posted on SDN before but I'll give it a shot

GPA: 3.4
DAT: 24AA 22TS 20PAT
volunteering: 100+ hours
Shadowing: 150ish by the time of applying
Work as a tutor for my school

Thinking about applying to all the California schools except Loma Linda, NYU, Tufts, BU, Touro, Unlv, MWU, Lecom, NOVA, Michigan, Detroit Mercy

Haven't posted on SDN before but I'll give it a shot

GPA: 3.4
DAT: 24AA 22TS 20PAT
volunteering: 100+ hours
Shadowing: 150ish by the time of applying
Work as a tutor for my school

Thinking about applying to all the California schools except Loma Linda, NYU, Tufts, BU, Touro, Unlv, MWU, Lecom, NOVA, Michigan, Detroit Mercy

Are you a Cali resident? Or a Michigan resident?

UCLA and Michigan in particular are OOS unfriendly.

I'm a California resident. I didn't know that about Michigan, looks like I'm going to have to do more research on my schools. Thanks

URM is underrepresented minority. I think some schools are more focused on having lots of URMs compared to others.

Idk if saying "lots" is appropriate for any school other than Howard and Meharry. After those two it basically drops off a cliff, I think at this point most schools still don't have a black student in their classes.

Not saying they should or need to for any reason, just felt like adding that. I think dental admissions other than those two schools are usually very merit based. In medicine your race plays a huge role in admittance chances, in dentistry not so much. Which I like

Would love some input on my post above I'm starting to sweat a bit just thinking of this upcoming cycle. A bit more information: no real trend in gpa but my sGPA is rather low, about 3.1-3.2 I think?

Would love some input on my post above I'm starting to sweat a bit just thinking of this upcoming cycle. A bit more information: no real trend in gpa but my sGPA is rather low, about 3.1-3.2 I think?
I got into 3 schools with a 3.0 cGPA/sGPA and 22 DAT. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just apply broad and research the schools you are applying too.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

oGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.8
24aa, 24ts, 20pat, none under 20

115 hours shadowing.
110 hours volunteering
Work: Academic tutor for my school
Leadership: tutoring, student senate
Resident : Texas

School list:
All 3 texas schools
Should I apply out of state?

oGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.8
24aa, 24ts, 20pat, none under 20

115 hours shadowing.
110 hours volunteering
Work: Academic tutor for my school
Leadership: tutoring, student senate
Resident : Texas

School list:
All 3 texas schools
Should I apply out of state?
You can get into basically every school in the country with those stats. Maybe try to get more shadowing and volunteer hours. Other than that just apply wherever you want and nail the interviews.