Post-MBA career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr-Junior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an anesthesia resident in my second year and I have enrolled in a 2-year MBA program (Healthcare management).

I'm currently considering what will I do after graduating. I would like to finish my residency which will last for 5-6 years. Maybe a part-time job in management will work.

I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an anesthesia resident in my second year and I have enrolled in a 2-year MBA program (Healthcare management).

I'm currently considering what will I do after graduating. I would like to finish my residency which will last for 5-6 years. Maybe a part-time job in management will work.

I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Hi,

Well I am a pharmacist with MBA, it is not exact same career path as yours but maybe this will help you. I am working as project manager in pharmaceutical industry. It is a full time job but a lot of people with similar background work as consultants or contractors. Consultants are usually through KPMG, EY, McKinsey etc. Interdependent contractors are part time or full time. They all contribute to the company's activities advising on medical affairs, safety, strategy, clinical research etc..

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I was thinking of a way to have some experience in the meantime. Would I be eligible for an internship position as an MBA student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I was thinking of a way to have some experience in the meantime. Would I be eligible for an internship position as an MBA student?

Hi,

Oh yes, MBA is very good degree as they train you to hit the ground running after graduation. For more information see your chosen MBA curriculum. A lot of companies from pharma to consulting have summer co-ops, internships etc. I would suggest you one thing if you have to choose between A+ grade and internship (GPA or experience) always choose internship. In real world your GPA won't matter that much as you would have valuable connections inside that organizations who can provide you referrals!

Good luck with studies!

I'm curious what type of workplace setting is the most appealing to you, e.g. in a hospital, private practice, industry (health technology, medical devices, pharmaceuticals), or consulting as mashutta mentioned. And, what's the industry environment like in the city your MBA/host University is located in?

Last edited:
Well i'm located in Germany. My aim is to practice medicine as well as a management position at the same time. But my real challenge is entering into the management world with an MBA degree and zero experience.

Well i'm located in Germany. My aim is to practice medicine as well as a management position at the same time. But my real challenge is entering into the management world with an MBA degree and zero experience.

I don't think management consulting companies are that interested in physicians without board certification in a specialty and clinical experience.

McKinsey seems to offer jobs to MDs alone that are board certified from prestigious institutions.

Of course getting a TOP level MBA in addition to being board certified in a primary field would be very powerful for the CV. A top MBA can also help a physician that only went to average schools to obtain one of these prestigious positions with an MD/MBA.

Reactions: 1 user