Post-Grad Engineer Considering Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eko104

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.48 GPA and don't feel that the industry will satisfy me. I always had medical school in the back of my mind but never did anything to pursue it. I'm considering finishing up my premed requirements (15 credits), studying for the MCAT, and volunteering to build hours. I'm curious about how practical it is to get all this done in one year while ending with a competitive application.

The prereqs I have right now are:
A's in two semesters of chemistry and labs
An A and a C+ in physics.. but I have extra like quantum (B).
A and a A- in English courses

I still need two Biology courses and both OChems and hope to do 10hrs/week gaining clinical experience and shadowing. I would be taking the MCAT next spring.

Is it realistic?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say no. Applications for Fall 2018 have already started and you still have to take 4 courses (and maybe even Biochemistry). I did the same thing as you. Engineer, didn't have Ochem or Biochem and it took me a full year to take my classes and study for the MCAT. Taking classes, working full time, studying for the MCAT, and volunteering is hell though. Got maybe 5 hours of sleep each day with no free time (took 2 classes while I was studying for the MCAT and was working 50-60 hours a week and volunteering 5-8). Think carefully if this is what you want to do. Seems as if you haven't done your research fully.

You should probably aim for Fall 2019.

I just completed my Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with a 3.48 GPA and don't feel that the industry will satisfy me. I always had medical school in the back of my mind but never did anything to pursue it. I'm considering finishing up my premed requirements (15 credits), studying for the MCAT, and volunteering to build hours. I'm curious about how practical it is to get all this done in one year while ending with a competitive application.

The prereqs I have right now are:
A's in two semesters of chemistry and labs
An A and a C+ in physics.. but I have extra like quantum (B).
A and a A- in English courses

I still need two Biology courses and both OChems and hope to do 10hrs/week gaining clinical experience and shadowing. I would be taking the MCAT next spring.

Is it realistic?
I am applying now and I graduated May 2016 with a mech. engineering degree. It took me a year to do the prereqs. If you take classes in the fall, spring and summer you should be all set to apply in the fall of next year.