Post-Fellow Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Folaeli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm greatly interested in pursuing an industry fellowship. I'm happy to apply for most fellowships, but I need someway to start narrowing down what field I would be interested in. Out of curiosity, does anyone know standard salaries for the various positions once you're finished a fellowship? For example, MSL vs Drug Info vs Health Outcomes?

80% want to know what I'm getting into if I don't go into retail
20% want to apply for the correct fellowship for me

Members don't see this ad.

All over the map. Some start at the NIH PGY scale, some are actually "full" salary in industry.

Marketing usually pays between $150k and $200k before bonuses. My market, which is not CA or NYC or KoP, is in that range. I think the NYC staff make $25-50k more for cost of living adjustments.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That figure seems a tad high. Salaries quoted around here in recent years are 80-120k base. Lower end for reg affairs, higher end for medical affairs and commercially-oriented functions. Personally know fellows who've gotten 105-115k starting within the past year (either base or all-in, I've no clue, but my hunch is base).

I think the one exception is MSLs, who seem to command a higher end salary post fellowship but potentially flatline sooner. Not sure on the exact #s.

If you need some benchmark, just look up:
Assistant manager
Manager
Senior manager
On Glassdoor, for each of the functional areas you're interested in, and assume mid-range and lower as a general rule of thumb (since fellows don't have years of exp). Those are the general exits for fellows right out the gate. A select few reach Associate Director within a couple years so you can check that out too.

R&D might be a bit different since titles differ. In terms of R&D, I've seen fellows exit at the Clinical Research Scientist position, but it's a black box for me. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Personally know fellows who've gotten 105-115k starting within the past year (either base or all-in, I've no clue, but my hunch is base).

I think the one exception is MSLs, who seem to command a higher end salary post fellowship but potentially flatline sooner. Not sure on the exact #s.

We're talking about the same people, but that's where the numbers are at if you think about your statement about base as performance differentials should put you in those ranges. Let's just say I have internal knowledge as we deal with the academic side of those fellowships and there's pay considerations when you share. MSL's do not usually do fellowships, but that's changing to some extent. It's one of those kinds of matters where your graduates make a higher base than the the high band of your salary scale straight out of training. While you do envy them at some level, it's hard work.

Reactions: 1 user