Post bacc? Clinical job? Other options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex4d1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you think with my stats and trend I should do a post-bacc? Or focus on writing better secondaries and getting more clinical experience?

I applied to a bunch of schools (around 24 MD, a couple DO) and didn't get a single interview- I was pretty crushed to say the least. It took me awhile to decide, but I decided to apply next year again. Here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.526
Science GPA: 3.2/3
MCAT: 512 (130, 129, 127, 126)
GPA Trend: Downward, pretty significantly. Straight A's freshman year, but after a C in undergrad bio class proceeded to tank upper-divs, mostly B's and one C. Took a couple more science classes after that C and got a B and B+ in the last two upper div science classes I took. Never talked to anyone seriously about this really, but I thought I didn't deserve the grades I got Freshman year and that I would surely fail in the future. So when I did badly in the first lower div bio class I took it as the sign that I was right. Not sure if this is weird or if someone can relate.
EC's:
-Peer counseling for a year
-Student-run clinic with a year but no LOR
-Two years of research in a couple labs (papers are still in-prep but I have a couple abstracts)
-40 or so hours total shadowing a couple different doctors
-Gap year as a research associate.

So while my GPA looks average on paper, my science GPA could be improved and my trend is...most likely extremely disturbing to colleges I'm guessing I'm not sure. I'm planning next time to apply to more DO schools and cross off out-of-states and reach schools to fix parts of my MD list.

Should I do a post-bacc? Or focus on clinical work (scribing, transporter, etc.) and do night classes as a DIY Post-bacc? Is it worth doing a post-bacc if I think LOR's will be an issue in the future? Any feedback would be super appreciated, I'm very lost right now..But good luck to everyone re-applying this cycle or in the future!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Do you think with my stats and trend I should do a post-bacc? Or focus on writing better secondaries and getting more clinical experience?

I applied to a bunch of schools (around 24 MD, a couple DO) and didn't get a single interview- I was pretty crushed to say the least. It took me awhile to decide, but I decided to apply next year again. Here are my stats:

GPA Trend: Downward, pretty significantly. Straight A's freshman year, but after a C in undergrad bio class proceeded to tank upper-divs, mostly B's and one C. Took a couple more science classes after that C and got a B and B+ in the last two upper div science classes I took. Never talked to anyone seriously about this really, but I thought I didn't deserve the grades I got Freshman year and that I would surely fail in the future. So when I did badly in the first lower div bio class I took it as the sign that I was right. Not sure if this is weird or if someone can relate.
EC's:
-Peer counseling for a year
-Student-run clinic with a year but no LOR
-Two years of research in a couple labs (papers are still in-prep but I have a couple abstracts)
-40 or so hours total shadowing a couple different doctors
-Gap year as a research associate.

So while my GPA looks average on paper, my science GPA could be improved and my trend is...most likely extremely disturbing to colleges I'm guessing I'm not sure. I'm planning next time to apply to more DO schools and cross off out-of-states and reach schools to fix parts of my MD list.

Should I do a post-bacc? Or focus on clinical work (scribing, transporter, etc.) and do night classes as a DIY Post-bacc? Is it worth doing a post-bacc if I think LOR's will be an issue in the future? Any feedback would be super appreciated, I'm very lost right now..But good luck to everyone re-applying this cycle or in the future!

I would agree that I think that your trend is the biggest road block in your way. If you can, I would recommend taking even one, or two, courses in science just to prove that you are back on the right track! Other than that, your stats look pretty good so if you can add any extra clinical or volunteering experience that will only help your case. Good luck this cycle!

I would agree that I think that your trend is the biggest road block in your way. If you can, I would recommend taking even one, or two, courses in science just to prove that you are back on the right track! Other than that, your stats look pretty good so if you can add any extra clinical or volunteering experience that will only help your case. Good luck this cycle!

Thanks for the response! If I think I may have issues getting LOR (my two academic ones aren't responding) is it still more worth just to take classes in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! If I think I may have issues getting LOR (my two academic ones aren't responding) is it still more worth just to take classes in your opinion?

Yes, because you may also be able to get new LOR from these courses to add to the ones you're working on getting. The more the merrier in this case. Try and build a relationship with your professors early that way they can write you a strong letter towards the end of the course, and try to ask for them a few weeks before the class is over that way you have ample time to remind them while you two are still in pretty constant interaction.

Apply DO especially Touro and AZCOM, they like high MCAT. Take 1-2 science classes at state/university levels to prove you can do it while submitting your application. Not sure about MD, your gpa is kinda low for that. I don't think you need SMP.

Yes, because you may also be able to get new LOR from these courses to add to the ones you're working on getting. The more the merrier in this case. Try and build a relationship with your professors early that way they can write you a strong letter towards the end of the course, and try to ask for them a few weeks before the class is over that way you have ample time to remind them while you two are still in pretty constant interaction.

I can try! Update is I'm having serious issues finding a job where I'm located, I don't have clinical experience or an EMT license so there aren't many ins. Now it's a problem of if I can't find clinical experiences to go with the classes I'm planning to take, which I wasn't expecting because I was naive and immature about the difficulties of job searching.

Apply DO especially Touro and AZCOM, they like high MCAT. Take 1-2 science classes at state/university levels to prove you can do it while submitting your application. Not sure about MD, your gpa is kinda low for that. I don't think you need SMP.

Ok, I'll add them to my list. Agreed on the MD comment, though it's still a tough pill for me to swallow. Does it matter what college I take the classes at? I'm sucking at my job search because none of the scribe companies are replying to me, so I might have to relocate just to find any job in a hospital regardless of colleges in the nearby area.