Possibly applying to European Medical School, Will and Expunged Felony Show Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a felony conviction from when I was 17 for shooting a car with a bb gun (not sure why 17 year old me thought that was funny) and I am looking to apply to a few international med schools, Ireland and UK more specifically. I know that for US med schools, my expunged conviction will not show up but I was wondering if it will show up when applying to Ireland or UK. I know my record will show up when I get my FBI background check for boards but I've been told nonviolent and nondrug related crimes are ok for boards. I've heard Caribbean schools only ask for a written background check from a local police station but I'm wondering if Ireland and the UK perform background checks that will see an expunged record. I did travel to Ireland a few years after my expungement and I was never asked about my case but I figure moving there for med school is a different story.

-Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Expunged felonies (or misdemeanors) are supposed to disappear but in truth post 9/11 cops can often pull that stuff up and tend to make a big deal out of it when they find it.
(Check out a yuotube video called Breakfast in Collinsville if you don't believe me)
Overseas universities on the other hand probably are not going to find out about it it it's truly expunged. Some Caribbean schools like AUC have a thorough background check whereas others are more lenient. I got accused of a serious crime just walking down the street once and
the Federal Employee background check made it necessary to do a lot of explaining.
Not logical, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user