Possible pre-dental workshop for NYC metropolitan area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What are services that you would want to get out of a pre-dental student workshop?

• Personal Statement review

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Individualized application guidance

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Q&A Panel with current students

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Sample sim lab exercise

• Sample case based learning exercise

• Mock interview

• Faculty/Admissions/Alumni panel

• Sample lecture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ongoing mentorship/networking

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Other- please specify as a response

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LizLemongrab

One Million Years Fun-geon!
Verified Researcher
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers!

I am a third year dental student currently working with elements of my school to develop a pre-dental workshop program that would raise money for our student organizations and the very special, unique Survivors of Torture clinic. I would like to know what today's applicants are looking to gain from such an experience so that meaningful planning may begin as soon as humanly possible with implementation as early as next January.

As a few of you know, I have been providing personal statement feedback and mentoring to members of this forum since winter of 2015. Many of my peers and faculty have expressed interest in doing similar activities in a formal context.

I look forward to your responses and hope to continue to be of service to this community.

Members don't see this ad.

As with anything, the ideas above are great, but the success will depend mostly on the quality of the contributors. If the top faculty participate, this has a lot of potential. I am faculty at your school.

Reactions: 1 user
I voted based on what I would have liked as a pre-dental student.

I'm curious, doesn't NYU already have something like this? Might've been more research oriented.
Inquiring about how the dental scholars programs operate might help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to hear about trends in PS, supplemental questions, or interviews that worked out for applicants. Like if there a style of writing or discussed topic thats favored within your DS.

I voted based on what I would have liked as a pre-dental student.

I'm curious, doesn't NYU already have something like this? Might've been more research oriented.
Inquiring about how the dental scholars programs operate might help.

NYU Dentistry has an open house which I have volunteered with in the past, a citizen school club through which we work with middle and high school students to introduce dentistry as a possible career path, and we participate in community health and career fairs around the city. This would be different from those programs.