Poor Step 1 practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedhokie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know people are making a bunch of posts about taking step, so I figured I'd throw my hat in to see if I could get some advice.

I wasn't the best student the first couple of years, and I think it's starting to catch up to me. I don't remember what my first pass was through UW, but second pass I'm averaging 75% correct. I've taken a couple of NBMEs and got a 217 and a 207 after taking NBME 16 and 18 respectively. My test date is ten days away (June 5) and I'm panicking. All I want is a solid 230-235 to go to a middle of the road gen surg residency. But at this point, I'm not sure what else I can do with the date being so close.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what your deadline is for taking the test, but the best thing you could do is to move the test back and study for a bit longer. You need to find where your weakest points are, which can be done by charting the question you got wrong on UWorld into an excel file or by reviewing what the NBME's said you were weak in. Unfortunately, this test holds the most weight for where/what we will be able to do in the future and I think that moving it back would only serve to benefit you.