podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgeonpod

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how is the future of podiatry? can you help me with it before i make a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

No one knows. Pods routinely compete for the foot with orthopedics and on the integument with derm. I forsee the end of just doing bunions and hammertoes and a push towards specialization i.e. wound care, limb salvage etc. No one knows what the future holds.

It has a great future. Podiatrists are becoming more and more recognized for their knowledge of the Lower Extremity.

As long as you a smart doctor, as in any field of medicine, you will be successful.

But i agree with FutureCTDoc, most Podiatrists are further specialized to give them an additional edge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can have a great career with it....it will limit where you can specialize obviously....just make sure you like the foot area.

I think overall they are getting more respect....in fact I thought about it since I thought MD was a long shot for me....

but I got it so I am happy!! :)

Many orthopods refer patients with problems at the ankle or lower to podiatrists. Maybe because as they themselves are tending to specialize in limited areas, they recognize the expertise that pods develop at the wheels and axles.

Many orthopods refer patients with problems at the ankle or lower to podiatrists. Maybe because as they themselves are tending to specialize in limited areas, they recognize the expertise that pods develop at the wheels and axles.

I have noticed a trend towards this as well.....