Podiatry Residency Match List 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So unless more positions open up or there are fewer applicants for the next coming years, that 64 will continue to increase?
Well, there are 612 approved positions, only 571 were active this year. Last year there were 576 active. So that varies every year as well.

Last year the residual past graduates were eaten into a bit. This year they increased a bit. It could go either way.

The main thing to focus on is the placement rate for new grads, which was about 98% last cycle and 94% this cycle, both of which are within the range of what the MD placement rate for new grads is. So the "shortage" should be looked at in context. Is there a shortage? Technically, yes. But if you think there would be less of a shortage if you went to MD or DO school you would be wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A decent portion of the 2017ers will get picked up next year (presumably), but with every year that passes from graduation it will be harder to match. Eventually those people will stop applying and that's something that the stats don't really capture - how many people quit after not matching and become attrition. Its possible in a given year that a low board pass rate would knock people out (doesn't seem to really happen anymore), but that only passes them onto the next year. It seems the overall applicant pool is on the decline - my anecdotal experience is that pre-podiatry students do not like hearing that there is a residency shortage and that if word gets out about this happening again we'll see another tumble.

The low applicant pool this year has popped up in many other threads. The residency shortage certainly plays a part, and that narrative was certainly diminishing for a bit... But these numbers definitely won't reassure the aspiring pre-pod.

A decent portion of the 2017ers will get picked up next year (presumably), but with every year that passes from graduation it will be harder to match. Eventually those people will stop applying and that's something that the stats don't really capture - how many people quit after not matching and become attrition. Its possible in a given year that a low board pass rate would knock people out (doesn't seem to really happen anymore), but that only passes them onto the next year. It seems the overall applicant pool is on the decline - my anecdotal experience is that pre-podiatry students do not like hearing that there is a residency shortage and that if word gets out about this happening again we'll see another tumble.

It's probably better for the students that are half as*ing through pod schools and may even have to re-take the boards one or two times then go on to the match...only to find out that they didn't match...to become part of that attrition rate. I rather be happy to know that I won't make it after the 2nd year or so than going through the entire four years only to occur more debt and possibly taking another applicant's position in the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the "shortage" should be looked at in context. Is there a shortage? Technically, yes. But if you think there would be less of a shortage if you went to MD or DO school you would be wrong.

Yes- BUT, most of the non matching MD students are from International Medical schools... Their issue isn't as scrutinized since most of those not matching are out of sight, and thus out of mind. I wonder what the % is for unmatched US MD/DO grads?

I rather be happy to know that I won't make it after the 2nd year or so than going through the entire four years only to occur more debt and possibly taking another applicant's position in the match.

What's the saying? Better to die on the 1st day of battle than the last.

Yes- BUT, most of the non matching MD students are from International Medical schools... Their issue isn't as scrutinized since most of those not matching are out of sight, and thus out of mind. I wonder what the % is for unmatched US MD/DO grads?
I was talking about new US MD grads, not foreign graduates. The main match rate for MD seniors is historically 92-95%, then after SOAP (scramble) their placement increases another 1-2%. They got up to about 96% last year after SOAP—so the overall residency placement rate for new DPM grads last year was higher than for new MD grads.

This year, the placement for US MD seniors in the main match was 94% and I would expect that to increase another 1-2% after SOAP.

US DO seniors only had an 82% placement rate in the main NRMP match and I don't think their placement in their own match is usually too hot either.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 9.59.37 PM.png

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf

Last edited:
I was talking about new US MD grads, not foreign graduates. The main match rate for MD seniors is historically 92-95%, then after SOAP (scramble) their placement increases another 1-2%. They got up to about 96% last year after SOAP—so the overall residency placement rate for new DPM grads last year was higher than for new MD grads.

This year, the placement for US MD seniors in the main match was 94% and I would expect that to increase another 1-2% after SOAP.

US DO seniors only had an 82% placement rate in the main NRMP match and I don't think their placement in their own match is usually too hot either.

View attachment 216760

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2017.pdf

These stats are true but you also have to remember that the value of the MD/DO on its own without a residency is greater than the DPM. Also there are some students more so in the MD applicant pool that try to match a particular specialty. They may have the stats to get any primary care position but they really want a particular one like a ROAD or neurosurgery etc...so they sit out a year and do research. That is usually not the case with unmatched DPM grads.

These stats are true but you also have to remember that the value of the MD/DO on its own without a residency is greater than the DPM.
I think we would all agree on that, but nobody is going to medical school just to do some tangential job that you can get just because you have an MD degree.

Also there are some students more so in the MD applicant pool that try to match a particular specialty. They may have the stats to get any primary care position but they really want a particular one like a ROAD or neurosurgery etc...so they sit out a year and do research. That is usually not the case with unmatched DPM grads.
Their bad. We can talk in hypotheticals but that's not what's actually going on. What is going on is that the MD placement rate is similar to the DPM placement rate (DPM placement rate was about 2% higher last year and 2% lower this year). Furthermore the DO placement rate is lower than the DPM placement rate from what I can see.

My only point here is that people always talk about the flaws of podiatry as if they are specific to podiatry, rather than flaws that apply to all of medicine—whether it's residency match rates or dropping reimbursements or difficulty in being in private practice. People aren't putting these things into perspective for prospective applicants that have no idea what's going on. And the way people say "residency shortage" around here they make podiatry sound like some Caribbean school with a 50% match rate when in reality the current DPM match rate is comparable to US senior MD and DO match rates.

Reactions: 4 users
WesternU match list:
DVA Albuquerque
DVA Palo Alto
Highlands/Presbyterian St. Luke’s
Chino Valley Medical Center
Kingwood
SSM DePaul
DeKalb Medical Center
White Memorial
DVA Atlanta
Englewood
Baylor Scott & White
Mercy Health Regional Medical Center
Steward-St. Elizabeth's
Maricopa
MedStar
DVA Phoenix
DVA Palo Alto
Mount Auburn Hospital
Columbia St. Mary's Hospital
DVA Lebanon
Yale
Hackensack UMC Palisades
Geisinger Community Medical Centersx2
DVA LA
DVA Tuscon
Detroit Medical Centerx2
Pinnacle Health Hospital
Kaiser Santa Clara
Jewish Hospital
Chestnut Hill Hospital
Oschner Clinic Foundation

I think we would all agree on that, but nobody is going to medical school just to do some tangential job that you can get just because you have an MD degree.

Their bad. We can talk in hypotheticals but that's not what's actually going on. What is going on is that the MD placement rate is similar to the DPM placement rate (DPM placement rate was about 2% higher last year and 2% lower this year). Furthermore the DO placement rate is lower than the DPM placement rate from what I can see.

My only point here is that people always talk about the flaws of podiatry as if they are specific to podiatry, rather than flaws that apply to all of medicine—whether it's residency match rates or dropping reimbursements or difficulty in being in private practice. People aren't putting these things into perspective for prospective applicants that have no idea what's going on. And the way people say "residency shortage" around here they make podiatry sound like some Caribbean school with a 50% match rate when in reality the current DPM match rate is comparable to US senior MD and DO match rates.

DO placement rate after considering both AOA and NRMP is up in the 99.61%

Sorry, I forgot the exact numbers. It's 87.2-88.4%.

99.61% is placement rate. Match rate is matching in a matching service. Placement is matching + SOAP + scramble.

I did the analysis last year, obviously no idea if its the same this year, but it probably is close.

Thank you so much man, I completely forgot where I posted that.

Placement rate for non-US IMGs is likely not much higher than that. For US IMGs it depends on the school. On average its probably around 70% since most grads come from the big 4.

You don't seem to be analyzing this info properly.

1. You should really be combining MD seniors and MD graduates, which would make the match rate closer to 90% and be comparable to the DO senior and graduate NRMP match rate of 81%. Yeah, DOs match at a lower rate. Big surprise.

2. Yeah, that's not true at all. Actually the majority of those 650 that don't SOAP (100-200 DOs SOAP each year) do/had access to the majority of open AOA spots. Virtually all will scramble into AOA spots, but many may only be TRIs.

3. They will be in the NRMP match most likely, and they would probably be accessible through the SOAP for a lot of DOs. The issue is that DOs are going to have to apply more smartly in the future. They won't have empty spots just sitting there for them.

They will have to apply to more places, have backup specialties, etc. That's honestly what they should already be doing. I personally had backups and less competitive spots on my ROL just out of fear. Fortunately I didn't get that far down, but at least I was covered if I did.

You don't seem to understand the difference between seniors and graduates. Many people graduate off-cycle or only land a TRI when they graduate. Those people have to apply next year or reapply for a categorical spot. Those are graduates and are typically less competitive because they either failed to match last year or had to take time off (like for a failed board exam). They could also include some competitive people that failed to match a AOA surgical specialty and decide to apply ACGME next year for EM, Anesthesia, Rads, etc.

That is different than a 5th year senior, which honestly is not an option for a lot of DOs, but is a better position to be in for the match.

Yeah, also its definitely not 0. It actually does reduce the overall DO NRMP match rate, as I demonstrated for 2016 (86.4-88.8% DO NRMP rate for seniors vs. 80.3% for both).

You're not analyzing the data properly. You're making a lot of assumptions that aren't well founded and then drawing conclusions from those assumptions.

For now, we have to wait for a real report to analyze this year's data. It's too early to know for sure at this point.

They talk about the flaws cuz residency spots are too close to the number of graduates. Thats is not the case with MD/DO. These people dont match because they overshoot themselves with competitive specialty.

Last edited:
DO placement rate after considering both AOA and NRMP is up in the 90%~95%
Do you have links to those stats and is that the rate for seniors or including previous graduates? I think for those in NRMP 2017 Main Match they were at about 82% and I didn't see AOA stats for this year but AACOM states about 75% match rate for those in the AOA match the last couple of matches, 2015 and 2016. Aren't there like 6,000 DO graduates each year and like 3,500 usually participate in NRMP and 3,000 in AOA match, so it doesn't look like there's that much overlap between them.

I don't know, I just can't find one source that summarizes DO placement across all residencies.

Do you have links to those stats and is that the rate for seniors or including previous graduates? I think for those in NRMP 2017 Main Match they were at about 82% and I didn't see AOA stats for this year but AACOM states about 75% match rate for those in the AOA match the last couple of matches, 2015 and 2016. Aren't there like 6,000 DO graduates each year and like 3,500 usually participate in NRMP and 3,000 in AOA match, so it doesn't look like there's that much overlap between them.

I don't know, I just can't find one source that summarizes DO placement across all residencies.

You are confusing match rate with placement rate.

if you want the exact math, go pm hallowmann as I quoted above.

You are confusing match rate with placement rate.

if you want the exact math, go pm hallowmann as I quoted above.
I mean, I know match rate and placement rate are two different things, I'm just saying it's difficult to find all the information combined in one place.

WesternU match list:
DVA Albuquerque
DVA Palo Alto
Highlands/Presbyterian St. Luke’s
Chino Valley Medical Center
Kingwood
SSM DePaul
DeKalb Medical Center
White Memorial
DVA Atlanta
Englewood
Baylor Scott & White
Mercy Health Regional Medical Center
Steward-St. Elizabeth's
Maricopa
MedStar
DVA Phoenix
DVA Palo Alto
Mount Auburn Hospital
Columbia St. Mary's Hospital
DVA Lebanon
Yale
Hackensack UMC Palisades
Geisinger Community Medical Centersx2
DVA LA
DVA Tuscon
Detroit Medical Centerx2
Pinnacle Health Hospital
Kaiser Santa Clara
Jewish Hospital
Chestnut Hill Hospital
Oschner Clinic Foundation
Good job Western! I was hoping that our school would send out a match list. So far I've only heard where people have matched by word of mouth. When I get to something official I'll post it.

Reactions: 1 users
I visited and it was a GREAT program. I'll write a review on it in the upcoming days.
I'd like to know more about St Joseph in Indiana as well. If you can post your review, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.