Podiatry Residency Match List 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SLCpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to see where everyone will end up for residency! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to everyone who matched! Long four years have paid off!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone! It's been a long road, but we did it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be going to North Colorado Medical Center.

Reactions: 9 users
I'll be going to North Colorado Medical Center.

Congrats, SLCp! If your personality in real life is similar to how you carry yourself here on SDN Pod subsection, they'll love you!

Was this your first choice program?

Mercy Health Medical Center in Lorain/Cleveland, OH.... Looking forward for the next 3 years!

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone have information on match lists/numbers of any of the schools?

Anyone have information on match lists/numbers of any of the schools?
I know that a few people are going to MP II from CSPM but it is only word of mouth. Best of luck to those who are still looking for a program.

Does anyone have a list of the programs that are in MP II?

Match results:

RESIDENCY POSITIONS: 571
POSITIONS FILLED (after MP I): 516 90.37%
POSITIONS UNFILLED: 55

APPLICANTS: 628
Class of 2017: 576
Previous classes: 52

MATCHED:
Class of 2017: 497
Previous classes: 19

UNMATCHED:
Class of 2017: 79
Previous classes: 33

Match results:

RESIDENCY POSITIONS: 571
POSITIONS FILLED (after MP I): 516 90.37%
POSITIONS UNFILLED: 55

APPLICANTS: 628
Class of 2017: 576
Previous classes: 52

MATCHED:
Class of 2017: 497
Previous classes: 19

UNMATCHED:
Class of 2017: 79
Previous classes: 33
looks good.

So if all the residency spots get filled, there's still going to be a guaranteed 57 people who don't get matched? I thought the residency shortage was over. Wasn't there a narrative of "we have a surplus of residency spots now"? Or am I reading this wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately there will be 57 who don't get a spot and will most likely apply next year. This will add to the number of applicants next year. The shortage problem is never going away. The problem isn't the number of residencies but rather the variability in the number of graduates per year.

Reactions: 2 users
How do these numbers compare with previous year matches? Is the residency shortage getting better or worse?

How do these numbers compare with previous year matches? Is the residency shortage getting better or worse?
I guess we don't know for sure how many didn't match until after MP II at the end of the week. There may be programs that don't take anyone.

Capping the class size for all 9 schools can be beneficial, i.e. <600 grads per year. But, this is a business so it probably won't happen.

It will be nice though that those who matched can make a thread about the dos and don'ts of matching for current and to be pod students!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I guess we don't know for sure how many didn't match until after MP II at the end of the week. There may be programs that don't take anyone.

That's nuts. I don't blame them for being selective but scary to think about. Some program directors during interviews mentioned people being unrealistic when applying to programs or people with stellar grades but no people person skills. But this number seems too large to only consist of oddballs.

Capping the class size for all 9 schools can be beneficial, i.e. <600 grads per year. But, this is a business so it probably won't happen.

It will be nice though that those who matched can make a thread about the dos and don'ts of matching for current and to be pod students!!

Would love to see a Do's and Don't for Matching starting from 1st year to 4th year as well. Valuable information.

Dos: work hard, be humble, be professional

Don'ts: Be lazy, be non-teachable, be unprofessional

I think that's about it. You will visit a lot of programs and you will find the one that fits your personality.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a question regarding what exactly is meant by unrealistic expectations from a students standpoint when applying to clerkships & residency positions. For example, two of the programs that I can see myself interested in is Mercy Regional Medical Center in Cleveland & Grant MC. I know that both of these programs have min GPA (3.0)/Class rank (50%). So, can I assume that if a student is right at the bubble of 3.0/50% that they could match at these programs or are the students matching there much higher say 3.5/upper 25%.

I have a question regarding what exactly is meant by unrealistic expectations from a students standpoint when applying to clerkships & residency positions. For example, two of the programs that I can see myself interested in is Mercy Regional Medical Center in Cleveland & Grant MC. I know that both of these programs have min GPA (3.0)/Class rank (50%). So, can I assume that if a student is right at the bubble of 3.0/50% that they could match at these programs or are the students matching there much higher say 3.5/upper 25%.

From what I heard at Kent specifically during interview: Some of these students did not apply to enough programs that were within their GPA range.

For example- 1 student who did not match only applied to 2 programs thinking they were matched extremely high from what they heard. That in itself is naive thinking.

Some students with not so stellar GPAs may apply to only top tier programs with unrealistic expectations to match instead of focusing on maximizing their yield through other programs.

To reiterate what has been repeated on this thread- If you worked hard in school, passed your boards, and are a decent human being- you should have no problem finding a residency program that fits you.

We have pretty strict GPA and class rank cut offs. We typically get good students that are strong applicants. Every 3-4 months we have a student who should not be passing rotations and getting a residency program. Since the schools (some more so than others) are so unwilling to weed students out in the name of keeping those tuition $ flowing, I don't have a problem with a limited number of residency programs that may be slightly less than the number of graduates.

Sorry, congrats to those that matched. Carry on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
So if all the residency spots get filled, there's still going to be a guaranteed 57 people who don't get matched? I thought the residency shortage was over. Wasn't there a narrative of "we have a surplus of residency spots now"? Or am I reading this wrong
Last year there were 576 active positions and 550 new graduates. So there was a surplus of active positions last year compared to new graduates. So the extra seats ate into the residual graduates from previous years a bit.

This year there were 571 active positions and 576 new graduates. So there wasn't a surplus of active positions. If you count all the approved positions then there should still be a surplus compared to new graduates, but not every approved position is active every cycle.

So far it looks like about 86% of new graduates have been placed at the end of Match Part I, but we'll have to see what happens after Match Part II (scramble). There's the potential for new graduate placement to end up anywhere from that 86% up to 96%. Although, yes, last cycle the placement rate for new graduates was 97.8% after Match Part II, but they also had 26 fewer graduates entering match last cycle and 5 more active spots and that 31 spot swing is pretty significant when we're dealing in the 500-600 range every year.

Also, for our class specifically Sweatshirt, enrollment was low so we'll probably see fewer new graduates entering match during our cycle than in the cycles directly preceeding ours.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
People say it all the time but you will more than likely match if you worked hard in class with a decent GPA, work hard on rotations, be teachable, don't tell a resident/attending they are wrong when they are most certainly correct, etc.

I tend to remember students that are helpful and teachable. If I ask a question and you don't know it, come back the next day or later on with the answer to show you looked it up. In surgery, help position the patient, get images up, put the tourniquet on, have local drawn up if applicable, pull your own gown/gloves, adjust the light, etc and etc.

Being "normal" goes a long way.

Reactions: 6 users
People say it all the time but you will more than likely match if you worked hard in class with a decent GPA, work hard on rotations, be teachable, don't tell a resident/attending they are wrong when they are most certainly correct, etc.

I tend to remember students that are helpful and teachable. If I ask a question and you don't know it, come back the next day or later on with the answer to show you looked it up. In surgery, help position the patient, get images up, put the tourniquet on, have local drawn up if applicable, pull your own gown/gloves, adjust the light, etc and etc.

Being "normal" goes a long way.

For any underclassmen, this is all you need to know. Work hard, show some initiative and you'll be fine. For those of you who don't know what I mean: work hard, show up early, leave late, be prepared for cases, and helpful while rounding with residents. If you make their life easier, they'll remember that.

Also, if you don't know an answer to a question, don't get too worked up. During my first month out, I would take it too personal if I didn't know an answer which threw off my game a bit. Then I learned to just look it up later and report/call/text/email/or whatever the next day, and all would be fine. Doing that actually got me a great LOR for residency. I have plenty of friends with subpar gpa's who are going to really good programs, and I know people with great gpa's who didn't get interviews bc of their attitudes while out. A good gpa may get you the externship, but a crappy personality will prevent you from matching.

Ps.... glad to see you active again pacpod. Hope all is well!

Reactions: 5 users
Last year there were 576 active positions and 550 new graduates. So there was a surplus of active positions last year compared to new graduates. So the extra seats ate into the residual graduates from previous years a bit.

This year there were 571 active positions and 576 new graduates. So there wasn't a surplus of active positions. If you count all the approved positions then there should still be a surplus compared to new graduates, but not every approved position is active every cycle.

So far it looks like about 86% of new graduates have been placed at the end of Match Part I, but we'll have to see what happens after Match Part II (scramble). There's the potential for new graduate placement to end up anywhere from that 86% up to 96%. Although, yes, last cycle the placement rate for new graduates was 97.8% after Match Part II, but they also had 26 fewer graduates entering match last cycle and 5 more active spots and that 31 spot swing is pretty significant when we're dealing in the 500-600 range every year.

Also, for our class specifically Sweatshirt, enrollment was low so we'll probably see fewer new graduates entering match during our cycle than in the cycles directly preceeding ours.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

What was the pass-rate after the administration of the part 2 retake? Keeping track of all the different form of eligible and qualified is a full time job, but some of the 576 would have been knocked out by part 2 and wouldn't have been eligible - potentially reducing the applicant population below the positions available count?

Unofficial match list for Arizona so far:

Medstar
Swedish
Katherine Shaw Bethea
Tucson Medical Center
Phoenix VA
St. Vincent in Indy
Intermountain Medical Center
Rochester
Wheaton Franciscan
Franciscan St. Margaret
UPMC
Kaiser Santa Clara
Crozer
Botsford Medical Center
OSF St. Anthony

We had multiple people match at Intermountain, Phx VA, and UPMC. More to come after MPII

Also, I agree with the above students and residents about how to match.

Underclassmen: This thread: how difficult is to get into podiatry residency

This is what I used as a guideline for my clerkships.

Congrats to all who matched!

PS- Used to have an account, however it's been so long since I've been on SDN that I forgot my old password:(

Last edited:
MP II round 1 programs:

Adv IL Masonic
Crozer Chester
DePaul
DVA- Atlanta
DVA- Cleveland
DVA- Illiana
DVA- Loma Linda
DVA- Madison
Geisinger
Gunderson
Hahnemann
Henry Ford Macomb
Huntington
Interfaith
Jewish Hosp & St Mary's/ Kentucky One
Katherine Shaw
Kendall
Kingsbrook Jewish
Larkin Community
Maricopa
Millcreek
New York-Pres
New York Methodist
NYU Hospitals
Oschner
Palmetto
Pinnacle
Roger Williams
Roxborough
St Bamabas NY
St Bamabas NJ
St Joseph IN
St Joseph NY
Staten Island
University Hospital NJ
Westchester Gen
Western Reserve
Womack

Some programs may have had more than one spot available. After Round 1 I think there were 9 spots left.

Unfortunately there will be 57 who don't get a spot and will most likely apply next year. This will add to the number of applicants next year. The shortage problem is never going away. The problem isn't the number of residencies but rather the variability in the number of graduates per year.

Aka the number of students taken at 3-4 pod schools each year.

Dos: work hard, be humble, be professional

Don'ts: Be lazy, be non-teachable, be unprofessional

I think that's about it. You will visit a lot of programs and you will find the one that fits your personality.
Do shave, Don't have a man bun.

MP II round 1 programs:

Adv IL Masonic
Crozer Chester
DePaul
DVA- Atlanta
DVA- Cleveland
DVA- Illiana
DVA- Loma Linda
DVA- Madison
Geisinger
Gunderson
Hahnemann
Henry Ford Macomb
Huntington
Interfaith
Jewish Hosp & St Mary's/ Kentucky One
Katherine Shaw
Kendall
Kingsbrook Jewish
Larkin Community
Maricopa
Millcreek
New York-Pres
New York Methodist
NYU Hospitals
Oschner
Palmetto
Pinnacle
Roger Williams
Roxborough
St Bamabas NY
St Bamabas NJ
St Joseph IN
St Joseph NY
Staten Island
University Hospital NJ
Westchester Gen
Western Reserve
Womack

Some programs may have had more than one spot available. After Round 1 I think there were 9 spots left.

Thats a pretty bad list compared to most years. Jewish Kentucky, Macomb, Gundserson and then a whole lot of meh and the typical NYC programs. I guess University Hospital NJ is the old UMDNJ program so thats probably good training? You never want to scramble but this year looks especially rough. Good luck to those in the scramble.

Last year's scramble list:
Programs
Aria Health Hospital
Bellevue Hospital/SMHN
Botsford Hospital
Brooklyn Hospital Center PMSR/RRA
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Christ Hospital
DeKalb Medical Center
DVA - Atlanta PMSR/RRA
DVA - Loma Linda (Jerry L. Pettis)
DVA - Northport
DVA - Philadelphia
DVA - Puget Sound Hlthcare Sys
DVA - Tampa (J.A. Haley)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
Geisinger Community Medical Ctr
Grant Medical Center
HealthAlliance Hospital
Inova Fairfax Hospital
Legacy Health/Kaiser Permanente
Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr
Madigan Army Medical Center
Mercy Hospital - MN
Mount Sinai Hospital Manhattan
Mt Sinai Hospital/DVA-North Chicago
New York Methodist Hospital PMSR/RRA
Northside Medical Center (WRHE)
Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital
Palisades Medical Center
Phoenixville Hospital
Presence St Joseph Hospital/Chicago
Providence Hospital
Roxborough Memorial Hospital
St Barnabas Hospital - NY PMSR/RRA
St Mary's Medical Center
St Vincent Hospital/WMC
Steward - St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
UnityPoint Health - Trinity Regional
Univ of Pittsburgh Med Ctr Mercy
Westchester General Hospital PMSR/RRA
Wheaton Franciscan - Saint Joseph
Wyckoff Heights Med Ctr PMSR/RRA

Last edited:
Please elaborate. Is St Joseph Indiana a good program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I visited and it was a GREAT program. I'll write a review on it in the upcoming days.

Last year's scramble list:
Programs
Aria Health Hospital
Bellevue Hospital/SMHN
Botsford Hospital
Brooklyn Hospital Center PMSR/RRA
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Christ Hospital
DeKalb Medical Center
DVA - Atlanta PMSR/RRA
DVA - Loma Linda (Jerry L. Pettis)
DVA - Northport
DVA - Philadelphia
DVA - Puget Sound Hlthcare Sys
DVA - Tampa (J.A. Haley)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Englewood Hospital and Medical Center
Geisinger Community Medical Ctr
Grant Medical Center
HealthAlliance Hospital
Inova Fairfax Hospital
Legacy Health/Kaiser Permanente
Long Beach Memorial Med Ctr
Madigan Army Medical Center
Mercy Hospital - MN
Mount Sinai Hospital Manhattan
Mt Sinai Hospital/DVA-North Chicago
New York Methodist Hospital PMSR/RRA
Northside Medical Center (WRHE)
Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital
Palisades Medical Center
Phoenixville Hospital
Presence St Joseph Hospital/Chicago
Providence Hospital
Roxborough Memorial Hospital
St Mary's Medical Center
St Vincent Hospital/WMC
Steward - St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
UnityPoint Health - Trinity Regional
Univ of Pittsburgh Med Ctr Mercy
Westchester General Hospital PMSR/RRA
Wheaton Franciscan - Saint Joseph

I noticed some programs seem to scramble a spot every year. Does that mean students are that disinterested?

I noticed some programs seem to scramble a spot every year. Does that mean students are that disinterested?

It means they don't offer good training. Either people aren't rotating through, or the ones that do put them last on their rank list...or not at all. Or in the case of the NYC programs, they probably don't get many externs (if they take em) from outside of NYCPM and plenty of NYCPM students do a majority of their rotations outside of New York. Couple that with the fact that there are nearly 50 seats between all of the NYC residency programs and they are typically well represented on the list every year.

100% match rate is great. BUT.... Remember.... Some of those students may not have matched into RRA certified programs. IMHO... I'd rather wait a year to match with an RRA program than get a PMSR program only.

100% match rate is great. BUT.... Remember.... Some of those students may not have matched into RRA certified programs. IMHO... I'd rather wait a year to match with an RRA program than get a PMSR program only.

No you don't. You're best chance of getting a residency is the year you graduate. Ask some of the non-matched from previous years and ask if they'll take non-RRA programs from day one or continue to fight for a spot year in and year out and strike out.

Reactions: 5 users
Every year you wait to match only worsens your chances of placement. I've known people in this situation and it's scary.

No you don't. You're best chance of getting a residency is the year you graduate. Ask some of the non-matched from previous years and ask if they'll take non-RRA programs from day one or continue to fight for a spot year in and year out and strike out.
Fair point. I suppose wha

So that 64 number that did not place.. That includes this year and prior applicants not placed?

Every year you wait to match only worsens your chances of placement. I've known people in this situation and it's scary.
No doubt.
Class of 2017: 94% placed.
Class of 2016: 63% placed.
Class of 2015: 40% placed.
Prior Years: 18% placed.

So that 64 number that did not place.. That includes this year and prior applicants not placed?
Yes.
36 not placed from class of 2017
11 not placed from class of 2016
3 not placed from class of 2015
14 not placed from prior years
64 total

Yes.
36 not placed from class of 2017
11 not placed from class of 2016
3 not placed from class of 2015
14 not placed from prior years
64 total

So unless more positions open up or there are fewer applicants for the next coming years, that 64 will continue to increase?

So unless more positions open up or there are fewer applicants for the next coming years, that 64 will continue to increase?
That's the point I was getting to. It sounds like if you're a current or future grad, your odds are good. We will only have a few that don't place. But if you don't get it in that year, or the subsequent- it seems like game over. And that 64 number will slowly grow. I don't imagine anyone from several years back will place if they haven't already.

Are there any states that no longer require residency training to practice? Maybe they can all flock somewhere?

A decent portion of the 2017ers will get picked up next year (presumably), but with every year that passes from graduation it will be harder to match. Eventually those people will stop applying and that's something that the stats don't really capture - how many people quit after not matching and become attrition. Its possible in a given year that a low board pass rate would knock people out (doesn't seem to really happen anymore), but that only passes them onto the next year. It seems the overall applicant pool is on the decline - my anecdotal experience is that pre-podiatry students do not like hearing that there is a residency shortage and that if word gets out about this happening again we'll see another tumble.