Podiatry Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lamboboss1

Hello,

I new to snd and i am thinking about going into podiatry. I have some concerns about the salary and future of podiatry. The other option i was looking at is dentistry but i like the field of podiatry more, however salary is a important factor for me. Can someone give me some insight? I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can live a comfortable life with either and both are safe in terms of job security, so just pick what you might like more. I considered dentistry at first but at the end of the day I just didn't want to play in people's mouths... not my thing.

You can live a comfortable life with either and both are safe in terms of job security, so just pick what you might like more. I considered dentistry at first but at the end of the day I just didn't want to play in people's mouths... not my thing.
are you doing podiatry?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind sharing your stats?
Also took a DAT last year before after graduation. I got over a 20 in all but one section and my AA was a 20, but just choose a field first before you take both tests otherwise one is pointless.

Also took a DAT last year before after graduation. I got over a 20 in all but one section and my AA was a 20, but just choose a field first before you take both tests otherwise one is pointless.
podiatry schools no longer accept the DAT right?

Dude, I did the exact same haha and am also applying this year for pod

Reactions: 1 users
did any do any internships or research for podiatry? or is that not necessary?
Research doesn't hurt but isn't necessary, especially if you have nothing to show for it (pubs, etc.) You basically just have to shadow a pod, and internships are nice to at least mention whether it's podiatry-affiliated or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I new to snd and i am thinking about going into podiatry. I am from NY and hoping to go to nycpm. I have some concerns about the salary and future of podiatry. The other option i was looking at is dentistry but i like the field of podiatry more, however salary is a important factor for me. Can someone give me some insight? I would greatly appreciate it!

If you want to make money quick, do dentistry. If you want to become a surgeon, dentistry has routes to do that but i believe it is much more competitive to transition from dentistry to oral surgeon so in that case do podiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to make money quick, do dentistry. If you want to become a surgeon, dentistry has routes to do that but i believe it is much more competitive to transition from dentistry to oral surgeon so in that case do podiatry.
Isn't it hard to make money quick in dentistry due to the debt and saturation. Like I live in NYC so ideally if I choose to go the dentistry route I would go to NYU or stony brook and practice in ny.

Isn't it hard to make money quick in dentistry due to the debt and saturation. Like I live in NYC so ideally if I choose to go the dentistry route I would go to NYU or stony brook and practice in ny.
Yes it is hard. Guys that have graduated within the last 5 years have a different story than the older dentists, especially ones graduating from private schools. The debt makes it very hard, plus the invrease in corporate dental. It is not the same as it once was

Any post-grad education will have debt. Dentistry doesn't require residency so right out of dental school you start making an attending salary whereas podiatry requires 3 years residency where you'd be making probably less than the national average. No idea on job market/saturation for dental but in some big cities there are also problems with podiatry saturation, should do some more research about that but then it's hard to project what the medical professional market will be like in 4-7 years as with any market.

Any post-grad education will have debt.
Agreed, except that dental debt is sometimes 3-4x what your first year salary will be. Dentistry was/is so lucrative because of the private practice, however that seems to be decreasing (as it is in every health care profession).

Agreed, except that dental debt is sometimes 3-4x what your first year salary will be. Dentistry was/is so lucrative because of the private practice, however that seems to be decreasing (as it is in every health care profession).
why does dental school cost more than podiatry school? Do dentist make more than podiatrists?

why does dental school cost more than podiatry school? Do dentist make more than podiatrists?
Because dentistry has been the number job on cnn like 5 years in a row. Supply and demand. No matter what they charge for tuition, the loans are being supplied and seats are filled

They could. Not the average dentist, but almost everyone at almost every age has to go to a dentist (larger market volume). Many people will never have to see a podiatrist.
The dentist from my neighborhood owned 7 practices and made around 2-3 million in personal profits per year. (And he charged no co-pay)
The draw back is you probably have to join another dentist or open a private practice, podiatrists can join a hospital

With all of the new (and expensive) technologies coming out for clinical based environments, and the need to compete and stay at accrediting levels, schools are bought in to making these types of purchases, which definitely don't help your wallet at the end of the day. I think the bigger reason dental schools are more expensive in general though, is because they are usually affiliated with a parent school instead of being a standalone. This means they usually play second fiddle to the sharing of school endowments each year, which are typically given to parent school programs and research first.

Nevertheless, as long as students keep wanting to attend and pay, and the school is in no danger of losing accreditation or encountering such problems, then keep on keeping on. *Disclaimer, This is my anecdotal reasoning*

Reactions: 1 user
In addition, what is the pathway to become a pod surgeon compared to a regular pod?

In addition, what is the pathway to become a pod surgeon compared to a regular pod?

My understanding is everyone who finishes the 3-4 year residency is a pod surgeon and a podiatrist. What you chose to specialize in and perform/ what job you are offered depends on you as a candidate.

is it true that not that many people go to a podiatrist? For example, if someone has a broken ankle are they likely to be referred to a podiatrist or a M.D/D.O ortho?

is it true that not that many people go to a podiatrist? For example, if someone has a broken ankle are they likely to be referred to a podiatrist or a M.D/D.O ortho?

You misunderstood me.
Not many people going to a podiatrist -meaning not everyone has foot problems in their life, and certainly not as often as dental cleanings.
As far as going to MD/Ortho or Podiatrist, depends on the hospital and who has set what boundaries.

VolibearMain is correct in his answer here. It depends on who's doing the referral. Generally speaking, forefoot surgeries will be handled by Podiatrists a majority of the time given F&A Orthopods are relatively rare. Rearfoot surgeries depends on the referral, but podiatrists DO receive referrals for these cases regularly (depending on that individuals' practice and training, of course).

If you're worried about patient demand, I wouldn't. There will not be any shortage of diabetics in the future, especially with the aging and increasingly obese population in the US.

Additionally, common pathologies like bunions, hammertoes, neuromas, hallux rigidus, hallux limitus, plantar fasciitis, posterior tibialis dysfunction, exostoses, onychomycosis etc. won't be going away any time soon so you'll probably be busy for a long time. These are all very common disorders of the foot and ankle that a podiatrist sees on a daily basis. Most MD / DOs won't treat these and a vast majority of cases will be referred to a DPM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys I need some insight. I wanted to know the timeline for applying to podiatry school.

Hi guys I need some insight. I am currently entering my senior year of college and I wanted to know the timeline for applying to podiatry school. I want to get in right after i graduate and i haven't taken the mcat ywr. is this still possible or do i have to wait until i graduate and then apply?

You can apply, shadow, and take the mcat all while applying. The question is are you ready to do all that? Make sure you take your pre reqs

Hi guys I need some insight. I am currently entering my senior year of college and I wanted to know the timeline for applying to podiatry school. I want to get in right after i graduate and i haven't taken the mcat ywr. is this still possible or do i have to wait until i graduate and then apply?

How bad do you want it?

You can apply, shadow, and take the mcat all while applying. The question is are you ready to do all that? Make sure you take your pre reqs
I was in your same situation. Ended up applying senior year in March and took the MCAT in May. I got an II from all schools besides Midwestern.

I was in your same situation. Ended up applying senior year in March and took the MCAT in May. I got an II from all schools besides Midwestern.
And when will you start? the month and year? and also when did u interview, and get your acceptance letter?

so you applied in march 2017, took the mcat in may 2017, got interviewed in may 2017 , got accepted in may 2017, and started school in august 2017?

Hello,

I new to snd and i am thinking about going into podiatry. I am from NY and hoping to go to nycpm. I have some concerns about the salary and future of podiatry. The other option i was looking at is dentistry but i like the field of podiatry more, however salary is a important factor for me. Can someone give me some insight? I would greatly appreciate it!

This Interview may help with some of your pre-pod questions.

Dental is more competitive since many more people know about the field. Podiatric Medicine is a guaranteed way to surgery!
Pay, Dental is higher but also take a look at he loans you're taking out. It also depends where you want to practice.
For example, here at WesternU- Dental is about $65K a year... Podiatric Medicine is about $35 a year.

I hope this helps! Both are great fields

Best of luck!!

this might be a stupid question but is gordon hayward who suffered a ankle fracture more likely to receive care from a podiatrist or an orthopedic ?

but like if a regular person is in his position are they more likely to see a podiatrist or ortho are there certain criteria? as far as the injury goes

this might be a stupid question but is gordon hayward who suffered a ankle fracture more likely to receive care from a podiatrist or an orthopedic ?
I'm going to a FA ortho if I am him. Just being realistic.

Hi guys I also have a general question. If someone makes 200k a year how much is that person going to take home after taxes
Thanks

Hi guys I also have a general question. If someone makes 200k a year how much is that person going to take home after taxes if they live in NY?
Thanks
Depends on how good your accountant is or how good you are at taxes.

Reactions: 3 users