Podiatry Confidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooskie83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping there might be a few podiatrists who are fresh out of residency willing to help me out..

I am a currently near the end of my 1st year of pod school, and needless to say have been pouring my heart and soul into the program. I know I'm still a newbie, but regardless have invested a year of my life (and tuition) into the profession. Lately, I've been hearing negative talk about the number of residency positions available, job outlook after residency, and earning potential (particularly with insurance paying less, heavy taxes, etc). I'm beginning to worry that all our hard work as pod students may not pay out in the end, as many of us enter our careers with 200k of debt on our plate. I know this affects all health professions, not just podiatry.

Are there any success stories out there that will re-boost my confidence in our profession? I would love to hear some personal accounts from current podiatrists.

I must have a case of the midwinter blues...

Members don't see this ad.

Whenever I would get down and out, reading the thread in the resident forum here called "True Stories from Podiatric Residency" gave me some light at the end of the tunnel. I realize you're asking about stuff even after residency, but there are some great stories there and it reminds you that this is a great profession.

Podiatrists will be graduating with a 3-year surgical residency under their belts. We will have more options than we ever had before. I wouldn't worry too much. Focus on your studies and land a solid residency. You will succeed in Podiatry. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am hoping there might be a few podiatrists who are fresh out of residency willing to help me out..

I am a currently near the end of my 1st year of pod school, and needless to say have been pouring my heart and soul into the program. I know I'm still a newbie, but regardless have invested a year of my life (and tuition) into the profession. Lately, I've been hearing negative talk about the number of residency positions available, job outlook after residency, and earning potential (particularly with insurance paying less, heavy taxes, etc). I'm beginning to worry that all our hard work as pod students may not pay out in the end, as many of us enter our careers with 200k of debt on our plate. I know this affects all health professions, not just podiatry.

Are there any success stories out there that will re-boost my confidence in our profession? I would love to hear some personal accounts from current podiatrists.

I must have a case of the midwinter blues...

wouldn't it be better to ask some of your fellow classmates? I think they would have a lot more experience:confused:

Whenever I would get down and out, reading the thread in the resident forum here called "True Stories from Podiatric Residency" gave me some light at the end of the tunnel. I realize you're asking about stuff even after residency, but there are some great stories there and it reminds you that this is a great profession.

This thread is a great resource to help remind yourself of the light at the end of the tunnel. Taking some time to shadow some area podiatrists during your summer off can also be helpful.

I think the op has some wisdom in his concerns. The February issue of Podiatry Management reports a 9% drop in solo podiatrists salary and a 15% drop in podiatrists salary that work in a group. This is compared to last year's survey. In a recent post on the attending/resident forum, Dr. Lee Rogers posts concerns about further provider cuts. If you look at the numbers, and really consider the impact of school loan payments, increasing tax rates on income, etc. the money left over after your salary as a podiatrist reveals that this is a profession that you don't want to do for the money, but rather for the love of the work.

I am glad I went into podiatry, and enjoy the work. However, I have rarely ever heard any faculty member at podiatry school, residency director, or residency attending express concern about my marriage or family life. More and more the focus is on achieving parity and sacrificing your time for evening conferences, more studying, and getting the best training possible. This is all very important as patient care is our priority, but be careful and don't forget what's truly important in life.

I have hope that we will be able to have a secure financial future, provide good care for our patients, and that it will be a rewarding and enjoyable career. I recently heard that the residency shortage is going to improve, not sure how accurate this information is as I'm not very current on the numbers. But I can tell you that if you pay attention and get involved while on rotations, and show up on time, and dedicate yourself, you should be OK in the match. I've been amazed at some of the students that we have had recently that are on their iphone during clinic, chatting amongst each other in the hallways, showing up late to rounds, and just generally not being focused. Most students do well, but why pay all the tuition and dedicate so much of your life and then do these things in the clinical years of pod school? If you just stick to the basics of a good work ethic and pass boards, you should be able to get a program.

For me the bottom line is stick with it only if you love what you are studying and love what you will be doing.
And I would also encourage everyone to contribute to the podiatry political action committee every year. It's sad to play the political game, but necessary. We need an ally in Washington during these times, and we are a small group.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your time and thoughtful posts. The "True Stories from Podiatric Residency" thread put a smile on my face. This is a great profession to be entering, and I AM truly satisfied with what I'm learning in school. Time to stop worrying and just enjoy life!

Podiatrists will be graduating with a 3-year surgical residency under their belts. We will have more options than we ever had before. I wouldn't worry too much. Focus on your studies and land a solid residency. You will succeed in Podiatry. =)

Please share with us the source of your information?
Is it generated by the podiatry schools, podiatry organizations, or any source that derives remuneration for promoting podiatry as having "more options than [...] ever" or are you a pitch man or woman for those organizations who stand to gain by suggesting that the title DPM will at some point become a widely recognized designation outside of clinical podiatry.

Is it generated by the podiatry schools, podiatry organizations, or any source that derives remuneration for promoting podiatry as having "more options than [...] ever" or are you a pitch man or woman for those organizations who stand to gain by suggesting that the title DPM will at some point become a widely recognized designation outside of clinical podiatry.

Regardless of any source of information, I would agree that there are more options than in the past. When I graduated well over 20 years ago, only about 50% or less of my class had the ability to complete a residency. Many bright and well qualified grads were shut out.

When I first obtained privileges at a few hospitals, my delineation of privileges was a VERY short list. I fought for what I believed I was competent to perform and I eventually won, and now all those hospitals offer the full scope of privileges for qualified applicants.

When I first obtained hospital privileges, the majority of hospital consults I received were for palliative care. Now our group receives quite a few consults weekly from internists, hospitalists, vascular surgeons, infectious disease docs, ER docs, etc., and rarely are these consults for palliative care.

Now the vast majority of qualified grads will obtain at least 3 years of training. There are academic positions at prestigious institutions such as Harvard, Yale, Boston University and many others. There are residencies at major teaching hospitals once again including Harvard, Yale, BU, Temple, Prespy/Univ of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State, etc. Hospitals are hiring DPMs for staff positions, graduates are receiving excellent offers from orthopedic groups, there are job openings and offers with major medical device manufacturers helping to design internal fixation hardware, etc. DPMs are chief of staff at some hospitals and the list goes on.

I have no doubt that jivecrudley will come back with some biased, sarcastic comments.

I don't have anything to gain by posting my positive comments. If no additional students or residents enter this profession, it won't impact me. I've been there and done that, and it is simply a fact that there are more opportunities than ever for today's grads.

Are there any guarantees? No, but there are great opportunities available. I see it often with the residents I help train. I don't know jive's background or experience, but I'm involved with well trained residents at several different programs, and can assure you that these kids have a great future. I'm a partner in a large and successful practice and I'm envious of the opportunities now available and the training these kids receive.

Regardless of any source of information, I would agree that there are more options than in the past. When I graduated well over 20 years ago, only about 50% or less of my class had the ability to complete a residency. Many bright and well qualified grads were shut out.

When I first obtained privileges at a few hospitals, my delineation of privileges was a VERY short list. I fought for what I believed I was competent to perform and I eventually won, and now all those hospitals offer the full scope of privileges for qualified applicants.

When I first obtained hospital privileges, the majority of hospital consults I received were for palliative care. Now our group receives quite a few consults weekly from internists, hospitalists, vascular surgeons, infectious disease docs, ER docs, etc., and rarely are these consults for palliative care.

Now the vast majority of qualified grads will obtain at least 3 years of training. There are academic positions at prestigious institutions such as Harvard, Yale, Boston University and many others. There are residencies at major teaching hospitals once again including Harvard, Yale, BU, Temple, Prespy/Univ of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, Ohio State, etc. Hospitals are hiring DPMs for staff positions, graduates are receiving excellent offers from orthopedic groups, there are job openings and offers with major medical device manufacturers helping to design internal fixation hardware, etc. DPMs are chief of staff at some hospitals and the list goes on.

I have no doubt that jivecrudley will come back with some biased, sarcastic comments.

I don't have anything to gain by posting my positive comments. If no additional students or residents enter this profession, it won't impact me. I've been there and done that, and it is simply a fact that there are more opportunities than ever for today's grads.

Are there any guarantees? No, but there are great opportunities available. I see it often with the residents I help train. I don't know jive's background or experience, but I'm involved with well trained residents at several different programs, and can assure you that these kids have a great future. I'm a partner in a large and successful practice and I'm envious of the opportunities now available and the training these kids receive.

No bias, sarcasm, or nastiness. That was an authentic, cordial, and courteous reply. Thank you. Maybe you can start a dialogue on some academic topics? These threads seem to be more concerned with career trajectories, post-graduate training, and politics of the profession. It would be interesting to discuss some topics pertaining to pathology, physiology, and some of the things useful to practitioners other than surgery, which, as you know is not the main thrust of a well rounded lower extremity physician's practice. I offer the work Travell and Simons, trigger points, myofascial pain syndromes, and other topics along those lines used in treating many musculoskeletal anomalies which would be of value to any new practitioner. I can speak to these things, and offer resources, and suggestions as they are germane to many anomalies podiatrists will encounter. I can not address topics in foot surgery as they are not within my realm of knowledge. Again, thank you for the thoughtful post. I remain at your disposal for any questions or concerns.

My source comes from established podiatric physicians like PADPM and diabeticfootdr, in addition to first-hand experience from shadowing. The scope of practice is expanding, DPMs are now completing mandatory 3-year residencies, these are facts. I'm just an enthusiastic pre-pod who is excited about podiatry.

But thanks for assuming that just because I had something positive to say about podiatry I must be in the pocket of the APMA.

My source comes from established podiatric physicians like PADPM and diabeticfootdr, in addition to first-hand experience from shadowing. The scope of practice is expanding, DPMs are now completing mandatory 3-year residencies, these are facts. I'm just an enthusiastic pre-pod who is excited about podiatry.

But thanks for assuming that just because I had something positive to say about podiatry I must be in the pocket of the APMA.

I imagine that a "you're welcome" is in order. Nonetheless, I would imagine that someone was to dedicate seven years, several thousands of dollars, and a commitment to something, that the sources of information be thoroughly examined. This is not a question to diminish, or recruit, merely an observation. Prior to an endeavor of such proportion with lifelong implications I would suspect a thorough expedition into the endeavor as worthwhile. Sort of like getting to know the in-laws and siblings of a prospective spouse.

No bias, sarcasm, or nastiness. That was an authentic, cordial, and courteous reply. Thank you. Maybe you can start a dialogue on some academic topics? These threads seem to be more concerned with career trajectories, post-graduate training, and politics of the profession. It would be interesting to discuss some topics pertaining to pathology, physiology, and some of the things useful to practitioners other than surgery, which, as you know is not the main thrust of a well rounded lower extremity physician's practice. I offer the work Travell and Simons, trigger points, myofascial pain syndromes, and other topics along those lines used in treating many musculoskeletal anomalies which would be of value to any new practitioner. I can speak to these things, and offer resources, and suggestions as they are germane to many anomalies podiatrists will encounter. I can not address topics in foot surgery as they are not within my realm of knowledge. Again, thank you for the thoughtful post. I remain at your disposal for any questions or concerns.

I appreciate your response. I would welcome the idea of tackling academic issues, but this isn't my forum and I'm not sure that is the intent of this forum.

I understand that a majority of the topics discussed by the students and residents are based on post grad training and ultimately career advice. That really seems to be the main theme of this site, and it's understandable considering sources for the type of concerns they have are scarce.

I do believe that some students seem a little pre mature with their concerns. I'm not sure why a student who hasn't even entered pod school yet is concerned about the best residency to obtain. But I do understand the concerns expressed by 3rd and 4th year students and residents.

I find your comments regarding myofascial pathology and trigger point injections interesting. I personally have no experience offering these services, and have a more traditional practice which includes a fair amount of surgery. That alone is one of the beauties of our profession. You can choose to have a niche or skill set that is beneficial to both your income and the patient's overall well being.

Discussing your special skills on this forum may be a tremendous benefit for many of those who will have the mandatory training but don't ultimately want to perform a lot of surgery, and may want to offer patients unique alternatives. Make them aware of the possibilities and the fact that you don't need to be a surgical guru to survive.

I appreciate your response. I would welcome the idea of tackling academic issues, but this isn't my forum and I'm not sure that is the intent of this forum.

If you want to start a thread about any academic question, so long as it's on-topic and not violating HIPAA, I think it's a great idea. The Physician/Resident forum may be a better place for it unless you're thinking about having the discussion at a level that you will want a lot of student input on.

If you want to start a thread about any academic question, so long as it's on-topic and not violating HIPAA, I think it's a great idea. The Physician/Resident forum may be a better place for it unless you're thinking about having the discussion at a level that you will want a lot of student input on.

I (and all the docs in our practice) work crazy hours. Many days I leave my house before the roosters are awake and come home pretty late. I (and all the docs) travel between a few offices, hospitals, etc., and we are available for emergencies, have to attend meetings, interviews for new employees, attend partner meetings, etc. As a result, I often contribute to this forum early in the morning or late in the evening or on weekends.

I simply don't have the time to dedicate to starting a thread on academic issues and guaranteeing my ability to contribute on a consistent basis. I WOULD however, be happy to answer any questions or participate when possible. But I can't take on the responsibility to be constantly available to start an academic thread.

Ask away, and I will answer when possible.

I (and all the docs in our practice) work crazy hours. Many days I leave my house before the roosters are awake and come home pretty late. I (and all the docs) travel between a few offices, hospitals, etc., and we are available for emergencies, have to attend meetings, interviews for new employees, attend partner meetings, etc. As a result, I often contribute to this forum early in the morning or late in the evening or on weekends.

I simply don't have the time to dedicate to starting a thread on academic issues and guaranteeing my ability to contribute on a consistent basis. I WOULD however, be happy to answer any questions or participate when possible. But I can't take on the responsibility to be constantly available to start an academic thread.

Ask away, and I will answer when possible.
No pressure :) I didn't necessarily mean that you needed to start a thread specifically, but I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that academic questions are welcome in the forum. :thumbup:

It would be interesting to see posts of an academic nature instead of the continuous career, salary, and training comments from students, trainees, and those who have not had much experience. There are a few people who take the time to post that are not trouble makers, but many of us have time constraints, and can not engage fully in things to expect in the world of clinical practice. I read many posts that have unrealistic expectations, for instance, that much of what you will do is going to be hospital based, or that you will commit most of your time doing surgery. Contrarily, you will spend much of your time nurturing relationships with patients and their families. Furthermore there is a preoccupation with "how far up the leg" podiatrists can operate which is fine if you envision (inaccurately) that the medical and non-operative care will be the bulk of a podiatric practice. The state legislators develop scopes of practice for the public safety. Amputations, an area often cited as important, are much more than a mechanical procedure. An amputation involves great emotional and psychological impact which many of the posts approach with a blithe tenor. Focus on your studies, and many of the academics will be applicable in practice. Never be afraid to say: "I don't know." Not knowing is the best way to open the door to learn. I found a podiatry site with seasoned professionals that is interesting but can not mention it because I do not want to violate the TOS. Would someone please start a thread on a medical topic that is relevant, and emphasizes the need for the students to embrace basic medical sciences, mechanisms of action, physiology, and how they relate to life long learning. I think a solid foundation is important for podiatrists to fully integrate into the rapidly evolving healthcare system. Many of the general medicine primary care continuing medical education courses are open to podiatrists, and I urge the community of future podiatrists to consider attending (the fees are nominal). I guess this is where the questions of who I am and what I do come in. Is that as important as the message I am trying to share? Whatever I say I do--if and when you--ask will simply be questioned, or dismissive. Well that's all for now. You can pm me if my education training and experience are that important.

Excellent, realistic and accurate post.

We have a very busy practice, and I was in the O.R. two days this week. We have a strong hospital presence and I "rounded" at two hospitals a few days this week and another doc in our practice covered other days and another doc will take weekend call.

Despite our surgical schedule and strong hospital presence, the majority of our time is spent exactly as described above. Treating patients, nourishing and building relationships and providing high quality and ethical care.

For those who believe they will be in the hospital or OR daily, please remember you have to also have a lot of actual office hours to GET patients who need surgery (and of course those who don't) and you need office hours to treat/follow up all of your post op patients.