Pod school dynamics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookiedoughmonster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if attending a pod school that has students taking the basic science courses along with MD/DO students is a disadvantage. For instance I know schools such as rosalind franklin university pod students have to take the same basic science courses along with MD students and at the same time take additional podiatry courses. With that said, seems like the MD students would have more time to study for the basic science courses than the pod students. I'm assuming this would most likely destroy the curve for the pod students making it tougher to pass/ obtain a certain grade. In addition, I was wondering if Podiatry students are treated as less than the MD students. Does anyone have any insight on this and especially on rosalind franklin university?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

It all really depends on the person. There's advantages and disadvantages I guess. One could argue that being at a pod only school allows you to focus more on exactly podiatry, while someone else could argue that you'd be more well rounded studying with MD/DO's. In the long run I don't think it really matters.

The MD students would not have extra time to study. It balances it out because while you're taking podiatry specific courses, they're also taking MD specific courses. So it balances out in the end. As for being treated as less I can't remember. I know at DMU you're graded on the same curve as the DO students, so you're technically equal. I can't remember about Rosalind though

Reactions: 1 user
We sat with the DO students at DMU during 1st year basic science courses and took the same tests. I can't remember average difference between us and the DOs on tests or if they even told us. Maybe some other DMU students/grads can chime in. Unless you told the person lecturing, they didn't know who was DO/DPM and we took the same tests. I think it is good for the profession to do what we can to help set the bar higher. Taking basic sciences with the MDs/DOs is a good thing in my book.

Reactions: 6 users