PNWU/Heritage Masters of Medical Arts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was last years percentage of masters students that matriculated into PNWU?

• 52%

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 84%

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • 66%

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 75%

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

andberg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for those interested or who've already applied for the Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences at the collaborative universities of PNWU and Heritage in Washington State.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a thread for last year for this program/any more information about this program available such as if there is any linkage between this program and the DO program at PNWU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any feedback from being in the MAMS program at Heritage University? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have any feedback from being in the MAMS program at Heritage University? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Yes. What feedback are you interested in hearing. I always try and refer people to the heritage website for general info (I.e. What the program entails, etc.). If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm curious about how many students who completed the MAMS program actually got into MD or DO school afterwards. I know that an interview is lined up with PNWU but what about any other MD or DO programs? Secondly I don't really understand the difference between going to a MA vs MS program. Thank you for your help!!

The website states 80% although we are on track to accept more than that this year. The majority of us were accepted into PNWU, although one is going into WSU's pharmacy program and Heritages PA program as well as one accepted into UW's MD program. As far as the difference between the MA or MS there isn't much. It's a one year program with curriculum outlines on the Heritage website. It's pretty much all science based so I know it's a little odd

The curriculum sounds really intense, which I know is all about being similar to actual medical school, did you feel like you got support from the faculty in doing well in your classes? I have been accepted to Liberty University, Larkin HSI, and Barry University and I'm trying to figure out which program is going to strengthen me and get me into medical school as the best candidate I can possibly be

For me attending Heritage was because of a desire to stay in the PNWU. It's def a challenging curriculum, especially the first 12 weeks which are the most important in "showing" PNWU that you should be apart of their DO program. It's def important to come like your a DO student already because that's about how intense the first 12 weeks are. After that the curriculum gets less challenging and forms more of a masters degree curriculum.

After being accepted yesterday I called them and asked what to do about my previous MCAT score, they said I should retake the MCAT this summer before the start of the semester. Do you think it would be okay for me to take the MCAT again AFTER completing the MAMS? I know this would delay my application cycle by a year to MD school but other than that would it really make a difference? Do you know if they would allow me to interview at PNWU for the following cycle or is my only opportunity just after the completion of the MAMS?

From what I understand, successful completion of the MAMS ensures you will be able to interview subsequent years as well. I your planning on a gap year though I would recommend taking it now versus following the MAMS. Ur support will be greatest if you try and apply to PNWU for the year right after MAMS

Do you happen to know what the GPA and MCAT score of those that finished the MAMS program and then got accepted to PNWU was?

That varies greatly. I would say you should try and have a 495 and/or 22 minimum, although there have been many who were accepted with less. The lower ur MCAT though the higher ur undergrad GPA should be and you should definitely shoot for above the average in your courses with the medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which courses are taken along side the medical students?

For my cohort we took a 12 week course which basically meant that we were in class mon-fri from 8-5 with the med students as well as an osteopathic principles course which was over both semesters. In our second semester we took a pharmacy course with the WSU pharmacy students. For next years cohort it'll prob be similar but you will hopefully have additional courses with the med
students. It's a little challenging however because the med students are on a systems based curriculum.

Is anyone considering this program vs. the one at LECOM?

I couldn't tell you on that one. For me I was accepted to both KCUMB and Touro NY's masters programs. In the end they all had pros and cons and heritage just made the most sense. Def glad I decided on this one though. Small class size, and an overall very successful program especially if you want to attend PNWU. You will have the greatest success getting into the medical school that is affiliated with the graduate program your choosing.

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't tell you on that one. For me I was accepted to both KCUMB and Touro NY's masters programs. In the end they all had pros and cons and heritage just made the most sense. Def glad I decided on this one though. Small class size, and an overall very successful program especially if you want to attend PNWU. You will have the greatest success getting into the medical school that is affiliated with the graduate program your choosing.

Thanks! Yea I'm gonna check out the open house and fly out for a night this week. I started a separate thread but it didn't get any traction haha

I created this one myself so I get notified when people respond. I will be helping conduct the tour next weekend if your going to here.

I created this one myself so I get notified when people respond. I will be helping conduct the tour next weekend if your going to here.

I'll see you* there then!

Last edited:

Do you happen to know how long the MAMS program has been around? In addition to getting the interview to PNWU, what other MD/DO schools do you know your fellow students got acceptances to?

This upcoming cohort will be its 5th year. It had grown in both class size as well as recognition from PNWU and central Washington. We have had students get into other schools like UW, ATSU, dental and podiatry schools, as well as pharmacy and PA. The founder of the program whose a faculty member at PNWU, has presented this program to numerous outlets over the past couple years which will only go to aid in our ability to attend the medical school of our choice. A word of caution however, if there is a school you have your eye on besides those affiliated with PNWU (i.e. WSU Pharmacy or Heritage PA) I would try and get into a post bacc program that they have or is affiliated with them.

has anyone been through the program? Any thoughts of difficulty? Is it impossible? or is it fair?

has anyone been through the program? Any thoughts of difficulty? Is it impossible? or is it fair?
I went to the visit day the other day. The program seems really great. I went to a large public university in CA and I was never a fan of the administration. Maybe it was because I was in an impacted major but I never felt as connected to a school's administration as I did during the few hours I was at Heritage/PNWU.

I really liked the program, they stressed that the year you spend in the masters is essentially a year long interview. You are generally busy from 8-5 during the week, with random breaks in between. You take classes with the med school students (at least your main class for each semester). The mams students apparently kick butt in them (as they should, they need to be at or above the class average to have a great shot at the grad programs). The Heritage campus is in the middle of rural no where (my phone was roaming the entire time) but you only spend one day a week there. The PNWU campus in Yakima is in more of a small city with some cool stuff. Keep in mind the cost of the program - it's about 32k tuition for the year. Cost of living is cheap. Seems that most students live in Yakima.

The whole comaraderie between the the previous MAMS classes and the future ones is heartwarming! They really make you feel comfortable. To answer your question about difficulty of the program - it seems that it is manageable as long you put the work in. They advise that you do not get a job during this time as the program takes a lot of your time.

What helped me was emailing Mr. Altymayer - he put me in touch with the previous class president.

Overall the program puts a lot of students into health professional schools and they have a helpful, approachable staff and student base. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the cost of the program.

I went to the visit day the other day. The program seems really great. I went to a large public university in CA and I was never a fan of the administration. Maybe it was because I was in an impacted major but I never felt as connected to a school's administration as I did during the few hours I was at Heritage/PNWU.

I really liked the program, they stressed that the year you spend in the masters is essentially a year long interview. You are generally busy from 8-5 during the week, with random breaks in between. You take classes with the med school students (at least your main class for each semester). The mams students apparently kick butt in them (as they should, they need to be at or above the class average to have a great shot at the grad programs). The Heritage campus is in the middle of rural no where (my phone was roaming the entire time) but you only spend one day a week there. The PNWU campus in Yakima is in more of a small city with some cool stuff. Keep in mind the cost of the program - it's about 32k tuition for the year. Cost of living is cheap. Seems that most students live in Yakima.

The whole comaraderie between the the previous MAMS classes and the future ones is heartwarming! They really make you feel comfortable. To answer your question about difficulty of the program - it seems that it is manageable as long you put the work in. They advise that you do not get a job during this time as the program takes a lot of your time.

What helped me was emailing Mr. Altymayer - he put me in touch with the previous class president.

Overall the program puts a lot of students into health professional schools and they have a helpful, approachable staff and student base. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the cost of the program.

I'm glad you enjoyed you visit. I think I can speak on behalf of the other 3 students who helped with the tour that we hope you all choose the program. The cost is def. daunting, but I would not be in my position without it. It was a very successful investment for me and can be for many of you too.

Hello,

I just learned about this program and am interested in it. I saw that they use a rolling admissions process; do you think there is still time to apply for fall 2016 and have a decent chance?

Hello,

I just learned about this program and am interested in it. I saw that they use a rolling admissions process; do you think there is still time to apply for fall 2016 and have a decent chance?

You definitely have a chance. I would call Magnus Altmayer whose part of admissions for the program (509) 865-8508. He can tell you how many spots you have and if he thinks you'd be an ideal candidate.

You definitely have a chance. I would call Magnus Altmayer whose part of admissions for the program (509) 865-8508. He can tell you how many spots you have and if he thinks you'd be an ideal candidate.

Awesome! I will give him a call on Monday. I appreciate the help!

Awesome! I will give him a call on Monday. I appreciate the help!

No worries. Let me know if you have any questions. I graduated this year from it and will be attending PNWU in the Fall.

No worries. Let me know if you have any questions. I graduated this year from it and will be attending PNWU in the Fall.

Congrats on the med school acceptance, that's awesome! I found out this week that I was accepted into the MAMS program for this year. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

What classes did you take at PNWU during the program? As I understand, the classes are taken directly with the med students which is great. Secondly, How did you go about applying to PNWU COM during the program? Are they likely to consider you for the next year, or is it common to have a gap year in between? I saw that an interview is guaranteed upon completion of the program and am just curious as to how that process works.

Thanks again for the help!

Congrats on the med school acceptance, that's awesome! I found out this week that I was accepted into the MAMS program for this year. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

What classes did you take at PNWU during the program? As I understand, the classes are taken directly with the med students which is great. Secondly, How did you go about applying to PNWU COM during the program? Are they likely to consider you for the next year, or is it common to have a gap year in between? I saw that an interview is guaranteed upon completion of the program and am just curious as to how that process works.

The info i got was you should be applying during the cycle just before you attend MAMS if you want to physically start right after. For instance, apply now if you want to attend PNWU after MAMS in the fall of 2017.

hope that makes sense.

Great questions. Firstly congratulations on your acceptance to the program! The two classes that our cohort took with the med students was the Scientific Foundations of Medicine course (a 12 week science intensive course that covers numerous subjects from nutrition to genetics to bacteria. The second course was Osteopathic Principles and Practices which was taken over the entire year (a course that discusses how to diagnose and treat dysfunctional areas of the body like the spine, lower and upper extremities, pelvis, and many others. We also took a pharmacogenomic course with WSU Pharmacy Doctorate program that has a satellite campus at PNWU.

Now there may be some changes to the courses that your cohort will take, but this is how our major classes went.

With regards to the app, the other respondent is correct. The sooner the better that you submit your AACOMAS app to PNWU the better. Probably the greatest challenge that my cohort faced with getting accepted was late applications which led to a late interview (i.e. Interviewing after December)

Again congratulations. If you have any more questions your more then welcome to give me a call. I've spoke to a number of students over the phone and understand that this is a huge investment.

I PM'd you my number :)

Do you know the requirements for this program? My gpa is not over 3.0 but the website says last 90 quarter or 60 semester units. I'm not sure. And my MCAT score doesn't come out till late July. Should I apply?

I would recommend contacting admissions at Heritage. They might want to see your MCAT score before admitting you, only because if its low then you have two major components of your app that aren't ideal.

Great questions. Firstly congratulations on your acceptance to the program! The two classes that our cohort took with the med students was the Scientific Foundations of Medicine course (a 12 week science intensive course that covers numerous subjects from nutrition to genetics to bacteria. The second course was Osteopathic Principles and Practices which was taken over the entire year (a course that discusses how to diagnose and treat dysfunctional areas of the body like the spine, lower and upper extremities, pelvis, and many others. We also took a pharmacogenomic course with WSU Pharmacy Doctorate program that has a satellite campus at PNWU.

Now there may be some changes to the courses that your cohort will take, but this is how our major classes went.

With regards to the app, the other respondent is correct. The sooner the better that you submit your AACOMAS app to PNWU the better. Probably the greatest challenge that my cohort faced with getting accepted was late applications which led to a late interview (i.e. Interviewing after December)

Again congratulations. If you have any more questions your more then welcome to give me a call. I've spoke to a number of students over the phone and understand that this is a huge investment.

I PM'd you my number :)

thank you for responding!

Any feedback from this years cohort? I've been accepted but can't decide between this and other programs.

Any feedback from this years cohort? I've been accepted but can't decide between this and other programs.

PM me with any questions. I am currently a second year medical student at PNWU who graduated from the MAMS program in May of 2015. I worked with the program extensively last year and will again this coming year so am very familiar with the matriculation rate and the courses offered. There were very few changes between the two classes other then the amount of students. There was about 25 additional students accepted for the 2016 cohort.

Hey Everyone!

We will have a webcast this Thursday (July 6th) at 5:30 MST.

During this time we will be answering questions, going over details about the program, our experiences, etc. This will be great for those that are already admitted or prospective students.

The webcast will be hosted by google hangouts. Thursday I will post the link beforehand or you can email me a good email address or phone number and I can email or text you the link as well.

Message or email me with any questions. [email protected]

Hey guys! I was just accepted to this program. I have a few questions about the program and I was wondering if any previous students would mind if I got in contact with them?

Hey everyone! I just got accepted for the 2018-19 cycle and was wondering if any previous MAMS students would be open to answering some questions I have about the program! Thank you!

I thought I read somewhere that the Heritage program gives priority admission to Native Americans? Does it matter what your ethnicity is? What the average GPA and MCAT stats? If you do well are you basically going to get into PNWU