Please help! Urgent decision required

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardzfan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been set on going to KCU for the past few months, but today I got an II for DMU. I know they are both great and similar schools, which is why I normally might not even go to the interview, but I went to college in Iowa and my girlfriend lives very close which is why I'm second guessing. Also, KCU was the only DO school I interviewed at so it might be good just to go and compare experiences? I'm not sure one way or another, so any advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, go for the II at DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. I mean, don't just throw away KCU, keep it as a back up. Instead, complete the secondary and if you get in, you can defer your admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I mean, don't just throw away KCU, keep it as a back up. Instead, complete the secondary and if you get in, you can defer your admission.

It's an interview for fall 2017, so they both are for the same year

It's an interview for fall 2017, so they both are for the same year

That's fine, you can still fill out the secondary for the other school. If you get into DMU, you can give up your seat at the expense of losing your deposit. If you've got the money for it, then go for it.

How did you get an interview in June?

If they are interviewing this late then that means they screwed something up. I would just go to KCU.

That's fine, you can still fill out the secondary for the other school. If you get into DMU, you can give up your seat at the expense of losing your deposit. If you've got the money for it, then go for it.

Pretty sure they mean an interview for starting this August. It is kind of confusing though.

OP you really need to clarify.

Reactions: 3 users
How did you get an interview in June?

If they are interviewing this late then that means they screwed something up. I would just go to KCU.

Pretty sure they mean an interview for starting this August. It is kind of confusing though.

OP you really need to clarify.

You're correct I would be interviewing next week for a seat in fall 2017 class and of course KCU is for 2017 as well.

Is there any overlooked differences between the schools that you know of?

Reactions: 1 user
You're correct I would be interviewing next week for a seat in fall 2017 class and of course KCU is for 2017 as well.

Is there any overlooked differences between the schools that you know of?

I interviewed at both and was more impressed by KCU, however I have a close friend at DMU and he enjoys it. I personally wouldn't waste the money on an interview to DMU with an acceptance to KCU in hand, as I had a poor experience at my interview.

Some objective differences: KCU is in KC, a better location IMO. If it is the Joplin campus then they have access to residencies (research, rotations) and had a smaller campus location. The curriculum at KCU is better, although more intense. DMU does a traditional block curriculum I believe, but they do well and a lot of their students are well placed for residency. Career wise they are probably about a wash honestly, and are both well established and well regarded DO programs.

The fact they are interviewing again (they sent out an email that said that they were done interviewing in April), is concerning and tells me that admissions dropped the ball this year and under accepted.

I interviewed at both and was more impressed by KCU, however I have a close friend at DMU and he enjoys it. I personally wouldn't waste the money on an interview to DMU with an acceptance to KCU in hand, as I had a poor experience at my interview.

Some objective differences: KCU is in KC, a better location IMO. If it is the Joplin campus then they have access to residencies (research, rotations) and had a smaller campus location. The curriculum at KCU is better, although more intense. DMU does a traditional block curriculum I believe, but they do well and a lot of their students are well placed for residency. Career wise they are probably about a wash honestly, and are both well established and well regarded DO programs.

The fact they are interviewing again (they sent out an email that said that they were done interviewing in April), is concerning and tells me that admissions dropped the ball this year and under accepted.

Thanks for your perspective. It is for the KC campus. The downtown is great, but i was just checking out my apartment at CT last weekend and was stunned at the communities of homeless people nearby. Which I have nothing against, but it just made me take safety a little more seriously.

Thanks for your perspective. It is for the KC campus. The downtown is great, but i was just checking out my apartment at CT last weekend and was stunned at the communities of homeless people nearby. Which I have nothing against, but it just made me take safety a little more seriously.

Yeah KCU isn't in the safest neighborhood but actually a lot of medical schools aren't. I know KCU takes safety very seriously and as long as you are cautious and smart with where you go and at what times you go where then you shouldn't have an issue. Two close friends will be attending there this fall and both have families.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna go just for the fact that I would wonder what if, if I didn't. But I'm pretty confident nothing will change.

Definitely take the II, especially since it's relatively close to you. Definitely go in armed with big questions for the admissions staff and your interviewer. You already have an acceptance to an awesome school so you don't have to pull any punches. I'd definitely ask admissions why they're interviewing so late in the cycle and if there is a realistic chance of getting in. Try to find out the most you can about the curriculum, any changes coming to the school, and what student life is like so you can make as informed of a decision as possible. I'm deciding between KCU and DMU right now myself. I had a great time at my interview in Des Moines and honestly I'm leaning towards DMU right now. Still trying to gather more info though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely take the II, especially since it's relatively close to you. Definitely go in armed with big questions for the admissions staff and your interviewer. You already have an acceptance to an awesome school so you don't have to pull any punches. I'd definitely ask admissions why they're interviewing so late in the cycle and if there is a realistic chance of getting in. Try to find out the most you can about the curriculum, any changes coming to the school, and what student life is like so you can make as informed of a decision as possible. I'm deciding between KCU and DMU right now myself. I had a great time at my interview in Des Moines and honestly I'm leaning towards DMU right now. Still trying to gather more info though.

Great point. It will be such a relief to go to the interview and not sweat bullets about needing to get in. I'll definitely use some of those questions. Could you kinda talk me through your decision of swaying to DMU over KCU though?

So I have been set on going to KCU for the past few months, but today I got an II for DMU. I know they are both great and similar schools, which is why I normally might not even go to the interview, but I went to college in Iowa and my girlfriend lives very close which is why I'm second guessing. Also, KCU was the only DO school I interviewed at so it might be good just to go and compare experiences? I'm not sure one way or another, so any advice would be great!

Go to KCU and don't look back. The administration at DMU is on seriously shaky ground right now. Take it from a current 4th year who has seen the transition between deans and the utter cluster**** it has created.

A II in June? Thats crazy, surely that means a higher chance of being accepted into a weaker class. We had a DMU student rotate through our department, he seemed very "meh" on the whole school. Go check it out if you have money, but I would be quite wary.

Great point. It will be such a relief to go to the interview and not sweat bullets about needing to get in. I'll definitely use some of those questions. Could you kinda talk me through your decision of swaying to DMU over KCU though?

I'm still heavily researching both schools, but from what I can tell they're really similar and the decision comes down to some personal preferences. Both schools have phenomenal match lists and faculty. Looking over each was a total wash in my opinion.

Curriculum wise, KCU is systems based and they do a second pass through of some 1st year material during the 2nd year which could be seen a positive or negative. DMU does more of a traditional block style classes with frequent exams during the first year and transitions into a systems based curriculum in the second year. DMU also has a heavier OMM focus as you will see at your interview (they'll prob have a OMM fellow do a live demo). Personally, I like the frequent exam style of DMU and have a strong interest in OMM. For those reasons, I give a tiny edge to DMU.

Facility wise, I strongly preferred DMU. They have an awesome surgical training area (Iowa Simulation Center), awesome OMM lab, a library more similar to the environment I'm used to studying in, and a killer gym. Minor note, DMU has some great outdoor running trails behind campus which would be a great stress reliever for me. KCU obviously isn't in the nicest area, I doubt I'd do any outdoor running there and their gym is weak af. KCU overall had a weaker surgical training area but a stronger patient simulation area. KCUs patient simulation rooms were so cool because they went more over the top in copying a real world doctor's office. Still, DMU wins the facilities match up for me.

For test prep, KCU definitely takes the cake. I've heard DMU students say they felt that some classes in their second year curriculum aren't too applicable to boards and test prep resources are minimal. KCU has a Kaplan course rolled into tuition along with several proctored practice exams. That being said, DMU continues to match very well so they must be doing something right.

Location wise, KCU wins for better night life as there is so much to do downtown but it loses for being so far away from home for me. DMU is a days drive home for me while KCU is in the flying-only territory. I also have a lot of fam in Chicago so being close to a strong support network I feel is a huge bonus.

Other minor things pushing me towards DMU: I'm a rugby player and Des Moine has a great men's team I'd love joining as a stress reliever and social group. DMU also has a highly active homeless outreach group that seems like a fun thing to join. Lastly, it seems like DMU really encourages building relationships with the faculty which I thought was cool. There's an elective where all you do is cook food and drink wine/beer with a different professor each class.

So yeah, definitely leaning DMU at the moment but I'm still looking for more reason to push me to KCU. Both are phenomenal schools so there really isn't a wrong decision.

Some thoughts on DMU vs. KCU (interviewed at both, accepted @ DMU, w/l @ KCU but withdrew)

Pro KCU:
-dual MBA/DO
-tuition forgiveness fellowships available (if you can get them!)

Pro DMU:
-x100,000 for surgical sim lab. --> but, if you're doing HPSP you will have access to some extra surgical training @ KCU
-WHO relationship & opportunity to do an internship w WHO as a 3rd/4th year elective.
-ULTRASOUND emphasis from early on. Saw this is a differentiator of DMU grads that you could leverage into a meaningful 'edge' during residency apps (esp EM @ programs w EMS focus per some docs I've talked to about my decision to choose DMU)

Thanks for all the advice, it definitely makes me look at some details I've overlooked about the two schools. I'm going to be in Iowa this weekend so just figure I'll stay for Monday and interview at DMU. At KCU, I already have the deposits paid, signed a lease on an apartment and really love the school so DMU would have to absolutely amaze me.

Thanks for all the advice, it definitely makes me look at some details I've overlooked about the two schools. I'm going to be in Iowa this weekend so just figure I'll stay for Monday and interview at DMU. At KCU, I already have the deposits paid, signed a lease on an apartment and really love the school so DMU would have to absolutely amaze me.

Would you mind expanding on what you love about KCU?

I've always been an advocate of attending as many interviews as you can; you never know what school you might fall in love with.

Would you mind expanding on what you love about KCU?

The biggest thing to me is the curriculum. Yes, it's very rigorous but I want to be pushed to my limit so I can be as successful as possible. The board prep and dedicated time are huge pluses to me.

Also, everything is very organized and it seems like the administration has very good communication which I think is very underrated so you have less frustrations.

Another thing to me is the feel, right when I got on campus I could everyone from the lunch lady to the students to the faculty wanted us there. One of my student guides messaged me after and asked if I had any questions. Just seems like an overall friendliness and a noncompetitive environment that I think I would thrive in.

The simulation centers also seemed very realistic to me and very up to date.

When you talk about the ultrasound experience and surgery center for DMU, that definitely perks up my ears a little though. And on a lesser note, the nicer gym. So I just want to go and check out DMU for myself and see the feel that I get. The thing is they are very similar in many aspects so I would have a hard time switching this late in the ballgame unless I for some reason love DMU that much more.

Reactions: 1 users
When you talk about the ultrasound experience and surgery center for DMU, that definitely perks up my ears a little though.

Remember that all of this is bells and whistles. Surgical sim sounds cool and fancy but literally will play a very very small role in your actual medical education. Facilities as a whole shouldn't really play any significant part in your decision. Ask about board score averages, rotations, ability to do research, and things of that nature as they are what leads to a good residency in the field of your choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Remember that all of this is bells and whistles. Surgical sim sounds cool and fancy but literally will play a very very small role in your actual medical education. Facilities as a whole shouldn't really play any significant part in your decision. Ask about board score averages, rotations, ability to do research, and things of that nature as they are what leads to a good residency in the field of your choice.

This reminds me -- 100% residency match past 2 years at DMU.

Bottom line OP, I think both schools are solid where it counts. I just don't want you to be swayed by things that won't actually relaly impact your medical education so go into the interview with your eyes open and have your questions ready.

The more I think about it I think that going to the interview is a wise choice so you can compare schools yourself and find where you fit in the best.

Could you explain the difference?

A true match rate includes only the people who were able to find a spot in either the NMS or NMRP match. It usually lies in the mid to upper 80s percent range. A placement rate includes all people who didn't match but later found a spot (likely not in their field of choice or a dead end prelim spot) in the SOAP. A lot of schools have placement rates at 100% or in the upper 90s. Match rate =|= Placement rate. When schools tell you they had some super high percent as a "match rate" they really are trying to sell you the placement rate.

Bottom line OP, I think both schools are solid where it counts. I just don't want you to be swayed by things that won't actually relaly impact your medical education so go into the interview with your eyes open and have your questions ready.

The more I think about it I think that going to the interview is a wise choice so you can compare schools yourself and find where you fit in the best.

Yea you're absolutely right. I'm thinking going to the interview will be a confirmation that KCU is the right place for me.