PLEASE Help! SGU vs Ross?? 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which should I attend?

• St. Georges

Votes: 73 65.2%
  • Ross

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • AUC

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • UMHS

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
After watching this thread for 2 years im actually curious about where Zedd places no lie
I'm curious too.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious too.

Let us know regardless of where and when and all even if something happens and you SOAP or don't place I need a ending here successful or sad

Reactions: 1 user
Hello my SDN community!

#DontBelieveMeJustWatch

Nice! There are thousands of people that walked a similar path before you, that are really really really happy with how things worked out coming from SGU. We're definitely not as loud as the naysayers, but we are rooting for you. Keep focused. This is the big leagues now. Nail Step 1 like a loose floorboard.

Members don't see this ad :)
"If you retook the MCAT, if only you had a higher MCAT, don't go to the Caribbean, DO is the only route, blah blah blahhhh."

I was in the same boat as you and was accepted to Ross and SGU (never applied to UMHS or AUC). I decided SGU. I'll explain why in a moment, and never looked back. I'm an incoming student for the January 2015 term, and feel that I made the correct decision.Though not applying to AUC made me ponder a bit..I have heard good things about AUC. So I can speak on Ross and SGU only.

If you're like me, you don't care about spending a little extra money (attending SGU vs Ross) for a better living situation and better (imo) curriculum. Why I say curriculum is because SGU is a semester system similar to the US-style med schools. Ross is on a quarter system and accepts people in three separate cycles, SGU in two, and US med schools just in one cycle.

Since I'm joining SGU in January, I'll finish at the SAME TIME as the students who begin in August, since they are apart of the same cycle. That means I'm not only competing against my January class for spots, but moreover the August 2015 class as well. For Ross, it is much more competitive since you'd be competing with three separate incoming classes of god knows how many students, all who graduate in the same year with you. Regardless, I hear total class size for both schools for the school year is 1,000+ (I can't verify this, maybe someone can?).

Just do a quick youtube search of Ross University SOM and they'll have students who post tours of the campus, similarly do it with St. George's University SOM. You'll be able to see the differences in the school right away, and maybe get a feel of student life. There are a lot of videos on both schools.

I was first accepted to Ross and was so happy to just have been given an opportunity to pursue my dreams, I'm passionate and dedicated and have learned the error of my ways. I had a crappy first MCAT (21) but had a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and did a year of significant research at a really reputable lab. Then I was accepted to SGU and now, I was in the position of deciding what school I wanted to attend; instead of taking a one-way street, I now had options. SGU is more expensive, but I just don't care, it's a better fit for me.

Now, I'll regurgitate the positives of what people say on here..

Doesn't matter which school you choose (Ross or SGU) in the end, you're there to study your butt off and pass Step 1's with flying colors. It's an uphill battle going to a Caribbean school, but hell, be up for the challenge! It'll make it all the more sweet when you succeed in life. Learn to take criticism (especially online, especiallyyy on SDN) of the route your taking, there are stigmas involved. My advice, F**k them. Do your thing, close your mind's eye to what people are saying and open it in your books. You'll do great.

Lastly, don't ever doubt yourself. ever.

-Zedd
How is SGU with you ?

Hey zedd any updates ? As some one considering the carribean I was really hoping you nailed the usmle since you did well in the classes

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Zedd...ive been following you and was wondering how you did on step 1?