This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringPedOnc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from College in May 2016, and sent in my applications to MD/DO schools this summer and did not get interviews anywhere. (I sent primaries in mid-August because I could not financially afford to send them in any sooner). I have been spending this past year shadowing physicians and working as a Medical Assistant.

I am trying to re-apply this upcoming cycle but I am unsure what I should do during this gap year.

Biology Major
College GPA- 3.46
AMCAS GPA - 3.52
MCAT - 507

I am looking for any advice about Master's Programs, SMP, Post-Bacc Pre-Med programs (with linkage and without), etc. I do not know any physicians personally and have been doing this all on my own, so I would really appreciate any advice or guidance you could give me.

THANK YOU!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is on the low side for MD, but isn't lethal, same for the MCAT: you're sitting on a 36% chance of MD acceptance based on AAMC data. You're competitive for DO. I think one of the biggest things that went wrong this cycle was the late primary - if you were verified mid-late August and complete by September for most schools, that's no bueno.

Still, no interviews anywhere smells like a red flag in either your essays or LORs. I'd take a closer look at those and try calling schools for feedback on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence? Where did you apply for MD and DO this past cycle?

I live in New York. The MD schools I applied to were all the SUNY schools, Albany Medical College, Drexel, EVMS, FAU, Hofstra, New York Medical College, University of Arizona - Tucson, USF Morsani, Virginia Tech, and Virginia Commonwealth. I also applied to the following DO schools: Nova Southeastern, NYCOM, Philadelphia COM, Rowan University SOM, and Touro University.

I live in New York. The MD schools I applied to were all the SUNY schools, Albany Medical College, Drexel, EVMS, FAU, Hofstra, New York Medical College, University of Arizona - Tucson, USF Morsani, Virginia Tech, and Virginia Commonwealth. I also applied to the following DO schools: Nova Southeastern, NYCOM, Philadelphia COM, Rowan University SOM, and Touro University.
Apply more broadly to DO schools (at least 15) and include many of the newer schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ATSU-SOMA
LECOM (both schools)
For MD try:
4 SUNY's
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
As mentioned above your chances are only 1/3 for MD schools so concentrate on your DO applications. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.