Please Advise: Reapplicant with low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reeses Pieces

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am in need of some advice.
I applied to top heavy medical schools for the 2016-2017 cycle and have not received any II. I am thinking of reapplying next cycle and welcome any advice possible.

2016 Biology/Community Health Graduate
Currently working as a Research Assistant in a Top Hospital
Submitted App in July, Secondaries at beginning of August
GPA: 3.85
MCAT: 1) 28 2) 505
Many EC and volunteer hours
Hospital Intern Program with >200 shadowing hours
One e-publication and two pending to be *hopefully* published within the next few months

My MCAT score I believe is my biggest downfall... I rushed to take it before the MCAT changed and then stressed myself out to take it during the spring of my Senior Year. As I have a full time job, I believe it will be challenging to study for the MCAT a third time. However, I am open to the idea if necessary. There just really is no ideal time to study for such an exam!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for reapplying. Things I can add to this application are (a) a year of professional work in research (b) a few publications (hopefully 4 by time of applying) (c) 2 great LOC from well-respected physicians

Can I reapply again without retaking the MCAT? Which schools should I apply to?
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I applied to top heavy medical schools for the 2016-2017 cycle and have not received any II. I am thinking of reapplying next cycle and welcome any advice possible.

One e-publication and two pending to be *hopefully* published within the next few months

My MCAT score I believe is my biggest downfall... I rushed to take it before the MCAT changed and then stressed myself to take it during the spring of my Senior Year. As I have a full time job, I believe it will be challenging to study for the MCAT and take it again. However, I am open to the idea if necessary. There just really is no good time to study for such an exam!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for reapplying. Things I can add to this application are (a) a year of professional work in research (b) a few publications (hopefully 4 by time of applying) (c) 2 great LOC from well-respected physicians

Thank you so much!

Are you open to DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a MA resident! I applied to UMASS, UCONN, BU, Tufts, Georgetown, and University of Rochester. I have not heard back from UCONN or Tufts but I am starting to lose hope as the end of the cycle draws near.

I am open to DO schools... I think I would prefer MD just because I have always been passionate about dermatology and want to make sure I am a competitive enough applicant for residency.

Thanks for answering this thread!:)

Are you open to DO schools?

Where is your state of residence and which schools did you apply to?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Beggars can't be choosers, unfortunately. You can match into derm as DO, and regardless it'll be difficult regardless of MD/DO. You need to kill it in medical school regardless to be competitive. You're probably good for most DO schools, for MD you may need an MCAT retake especially since your state schools are all pretty competitive. Good luck!

I am kicking myself for not applying to UNE and other DO schools right now...

Thanks for your insight!

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Other than UMass, none of the other schools you applied to were realistic with your MCAT. For MD you could try these schools:
UMass
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 in June and submit all your secondaries by July. You may need a DO LOR for some schools. Other than UMass, none of the other schools you applied to were realistic with your MCAT. For MD you could try these schools:
UMass
Quinnipiac
Vermont
New York Medical College
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
any new schools that open for 2018 (Seton Hall, Roseman, etc.)

Thanks for that list. What would your advice be for retaking the MCAT a third time... would any increase just offset the fact that I have taken it three times?

Thanks for that list. What would your advice be for retaking the MCAT a third time... would any increase just offset the fact that I have taken it three times?
Your 2 scores are basically identical. A slight increase will not help you and some schools average scores. You should be able to receive DO interviews with your current scores.

I wouldn't listen to many of these folks, scores aren't everything. I graduated with a 3.73cGPA/3.74sGPA, 502 MCAT (retake) and received 8 interviews. I am a Texas resident so I have many schools in my state which is extremely helpful but I also didn't apply to many schools OOS. Interviewed at 5 Texas MD schools, 3 OOS. One of them being a TOP TEN medical school on the West coast. Accepted at a Texas medical school for Fall 2017. All im trying to tell you is scores aren't everything especially if you are a well rounded applicant which you are. I advise that you get more clinical hours / shadowing (as most applicants lack this) and continue working hard at your job. Any questions, just ask.

I wouldn't listen to many of these folks, scores aren't everything. I graduated with a 3.73cGPA/3.74sGPA, 502 MCAT (retake) and received 8 interviews. I am a Texas resident so I have many schools in my state which is extremely helpful but I also didn't apply to many schools OOS. Interviewed at 5 Texas MD schools, 3 OOS. One of them being a TOP TEN medical school on the West coast. Accepted at a Texas medical school for Fall 2017. All im trying to tell you is scores aren't everything especially if you are a well rounded applicant which you are. I advise that you get more clinical hours / shadowing (as most applicants lack this) and continue working hard at your job. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the hope! I have been adding clinical hours and shadowing during this year which I hope will help my reapplication. I also limited myself to the schools I applied to... Any Texan( or southwestern) schools you would recommend? I was actually born in Texas and lived there a few years before I moved to the northeast.

Thank you!

Thanks for the hope! I have been adding clinical hours and shadowing during this year which I hope will help my reapplication. I also limited myself to the schools I applied to... Any Texan( or southwestern) schools you would recommend? I was actually born in Texas and lived there a few years before I moved to the northeast.

Thank you!
Yeah of course, I would apply to ALL Texas medical schools. Texas is full of mid-tier medical schools plus two that are easily top 25 (if that's what you are looking for). You can do research on your own but as a OOS resident you might have to still apply through TMDSAS (Texas version of AMCAS) but it's completely worth it. 3 of our schools require no secondary application. Tuition in Texas is MUCH cheaper than the North East as well. I think your application looks very well. Strong GPA, average MCAT, great extra curriculars. You should have no problem getting into an MD school, if you want to be safe apply to one or two DO schools but it's just wasted money in my opinion. Keep working hard.

if you are serious about taking the mcat again, I think it is a good idea if you really do prefer going to an MD school. don't embark on this journey, however, if you are not FULLY committed
to answer your questions specifically though... NO, schools could not care less that you took it 3 times, as long as that 3rd score is competitive and your highest overall

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah of course, I would apply to ALL Texas medical schools. Texas is full of mid-tier medical schools plus two that are easily top 25 (if that's what you are looking for). You can do research on your own but as a OOS resident you might have to still apply through TMDSAS (Texas version of AMCAS) but it's completely worth it. 3 of our schools require no secondary application. Tuition in Texas is MUCH cheaper than the North East as well. I think your application looks very well. Strong GPA, average MCAT, great extra curriculars. You should have no problem getting into an MD school, if you want to be safe apply to one or two DO schools but it's just wasted money in my opinion. Keep working hard.

Being born a Texan doesn't mean you're still considered a Texan for application purposes.

if you are serious about taking the mcat again, I think it is a good idea if you really do prefer going to an MD school. don't embark on this journey, however, if you are not FULLY committed
to answer your questions specifically though... NO, schools could not care less that you took it 3 times, as long as that 3rd score is competitive and your highest overall

Thanks for the message... I know that if I really buckled down and focused on it, I could greatly increase my score. But I agree with your fully committed comment... I was interested in becoming a nurse practitioner previously and I just wonder now which route is the best one for me

Hi everyone,

My MCAT score I believe is my biggest downfall... I rushed to take it before the MCAT changed and then stressed myself out to take it during the spring of my Senior Year. As I have a full time job, I believe it will be challenging to study for the MCAT a third time. However, I am open to the idea if necessary. There just really is no ideal time to study for such an exam!

Thank you so much!
Hey, so just my two cents.
But I think that your mcat score is fine. I have realized through this process that having folks on admissions committees read your personal statement and secondaries is helpful.
It is also important to pick schools that match your own personal mission.
If you are really into helping out urban communities, don't apply to rural based medicine programs.
As reference I took 1 year off. Mcat score of 26 and 500 on retake. Pa resident, undergrad gpa 3.78. Recently accepted into Temple and Drexel.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, so just my two cents.
But I think that your mcat score is fine. I have realized through this process that having folks on admissions committees read your personal statement and secondaries is helpful.
It is also important to pick schools that match your own personal mission.
If you are really into helping out urban communities, don't apply to rural based medicine programs.
As reference I took 1 year off. Mcat score of 26 and 500 on retake. Pa resident, undergrad gpa 3.78. Recently accepted into Temple and Drexel.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I second this.

I have to agree with the quote.

I have lower MCATS and still managed to get a few interviews. The way I see it is that there are a lot of candidates as competitive as you are with comparable stats and EC. Your MCAT is not a bad one but it is at the national average. When drafting your application, try to speak of your EC at a personal level. Do talk about your accomplishments but tie them to a personal anecdote or motivation. That is what makes you stand out of a large pool of similar MCATs and GPAs. Also, like others mentioned, I believe that half the success lies on the school choices. That is something that helped me. I chose schools where I knew my app would stand a chance at getting fully reviewed past the screening process.

Also, consider refreshing your essay and some of your LORs. Keep LORs that you feel strongly and confident and replace those you think may not have a strong impact.

Best of success for you!

Many schools follow the recommendation made by AMCAS to average MCAT scores.
Around 3 tries, the number of re-takes becomes an independent concern for many of my colleagues.
A third try that is only marginally better deprives the candidate of missed opportunities that may have had a greater impact (as happened here with OP's second MCAT) and does nothing to improve odds of success.
A worse score is highly detrimental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses!! As I will be applying next cycle, I am leaning towards retaking the MCAT a 3rd time. I believe that is the only way to put my best application forward. My score is also unbalanced: Chem and Phys (126), Critical Analysis (129), Biology (124), Social (126)... With such a low Bio score, I am worried that all my schools screened me out.
Will taking the MCAT three times truly hurt my chances?

As far as numbers go, like others have said a higher MCAT score may be ideal; however I think the biggest problem that I'm seeing here is that you may not have applied to as many medical schools necessary to increase your chances of acceptance. Is that a complete list of the schools you applied to?

On average, pre-medical students apply to about 14 schools. It's a lot of money to consider of course; not everyone can set that much aside for applications. But I think next cycle if you apply to a greater # of schools with variety among accepted MCAT scores (see MSAR) you will be okay. It may be beneficial to retake your exam to get it at least to avg matriculant score.

As far as numbers go, like others have said a higher MCAT score may be ideal; however I think the biggest problem that I'm seeing here is that you may not have applied to as many medical schools necessary to increase your chances of acceptance. Is that a complete list of the schools you applied to?

On average, pre-medical students apply to about 14 schools. It's a lot of money to consider of course; not everyone can set that much aside for applications. But I think next cycle if you apply to a greater # of schools with variety among accepted MCAT scores (see MSAR) you will be okay. It may be beneficial to retake your exam to get it at least to avg matriculant score.

Thanks Apple_1 for your positive input! My game plan is to retake the MCAT July 22 to increase my score and then apply broadly...
A few questions:
a) Is july 22 too late? I will apply by June and then send scores as they are ready. I am shooting for a 510-512. Wish me luck!
b) I am totally open to suggestions for medical schools to apply to... any you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Hi Reeses Pieces,

You can definitely apply and submit your AMCAS with an upcoming exam! That's actually what I did. I think your plan in (a) is solid--submit your app when it's complete, and focus again on the MCAT.

Take practice tests when you feel confident with the material so you can feel good about the exam. I won't say submitting your app without knowing your score isn't without its risks (but then again, paying money for an uncertain outcome is always risky) but I say go for it. :) My story is a little weird though, so I'll PM you the details.

Other piece of advice: if I had known pre-writing secondaries was a thing, I probably would have done that, haha. It just would have saved so much time. As far as content in your personal statement and activities go, make sure it's honest and sincere. Have lots of people read it and help edit it. Something I often found myself saying was, "I wish the adcoms knew X about me." That kind of helped me frame things in various essays. I know that was tangential advice haha but I just wanted to share my experience as far as applying goes. :p And I'm totally wishing you luck! You can do this--your application seems awesome and I'm loving that you double majored in bio and community health. It sounds like you have a great story to tell.

I like the advice that a few people above have mentioned: Faha, jcorpsman, and FutureDr.Sigma mentioned some good tips. Apply to schools that match your mission statement. Faha's list seems pretty good. Ones that I applied to (also really want to go into community health) include NYMC and Drexel. It also helps to apply to schools in your state because (1) public institutions have a preference and (2) tuition is cheaper. ;)

I hope that helped! PM me if anything! :) Wishing you luck.

Hi everyone! Retook the July 22 MCAT and got a 512!!!! Thanks for all your words of support

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone! Retook the July 22 MCAT and got a 512!!!! Thanks for all your words of support
Congrats on hitting your target score! Wishing you lots of luck this cycle!

Thanks for the message... I know that if I really buckled down and focused on it, I could greatly increase my score. But I agree with your fully committed comment... I was interested in becoming a nurse practitioner previously and I just wonder now which route is the best one for me
If you REALLY believe you can, and you REALLY want to go md, retake; otherwise, sit tight, and put some DO schools into the mix.