Please advise me. Failed Step 3 by 7 points. Here is the report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicusverus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took mine in February. I did not prepare well for the exam. I wish I took an exam right after CS which was three years ago.
I mainly used UW qbank only? Score overall was borderline. Worst sections were Peds and Biostatistics that failed me. Any advise please on good resources to prepare for Biostat and Peds. As you see I did not do well in FIP (Foundation of Independent Practice) which was on the first day of the exam, any advise on how to improve that?
I plan to retake the exam in 6 weeks.
I do not have attempts on my other USMLEs.
Your input of my report in highly appreciated. Please see attached report file

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Step 3 report 2nd page.pdf
    397.2 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Buy the Uworld Biostats portion and study that for 2 days prior to the next time you take your exam. When I say study it I mean for real. Remember the different statistical tests. Remember mean, median, mode. Remember confidence intervals and the like. I passed the second time I took Step 3 all because I pushed my Biostats all the way to the right. It's the easiest thing to study for and there's no excuse to even get close to borderline on the section.

Reactions: 1 users
Buy the Uworld Biostats portion and study that for 2 days prior to the next time you take your exam. When I say study it I mean for real. Remember the different statistical tests. Remember mean, median, mode. Remember confidence intervals and the like. I passed the second time I took Step 3 all because I pushed my Biostats all the way to the right. It's the easiest thing to study for and there's no excuse to even get close to borderline on the section.

Thanks so much for the advice Ladholyman!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations regarding the books. I have an access to FA Step 3? Is that useful? Especially for Peds?
Should I study Step 1 material to improve FIP?
Thanks

Last edited:
Any recommendations regarding the books. I have an access to FA Step 3? Is that useful? Especially for Peds?
Should I study Step 1 material to improve FIP?
Thanks

I paid for UWorld again and added Kaplan Q bank. For the second time I honed in on whatever areas I was borderline or below. I also used a vacation week to really study the CCS cases and watched most of the ********** videos. The second time around I boosted my score in all the categories a little bit and pushed biostats all the way to the right. I thought I nailed ccs the second time around but I actually did a bit worse. I think if you're not in internal medicine the orders don't come naturally to you no matter how much you study the algorithms for ccs.

Tl;dr For studying a second time your UWorld percentages will be super inflated. Use a second bank as a guide to how you're doing. Also really study the answer choices when you have even the tiniest doubt on a question. On the real test it's more a test of stamina and how well you can make a well informed guess. Hope that helps. Books are worthless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I paid for UWorld again and added Kaplan Q bank. For the second time I honed in on whatever areas I was borderline or below. I also used a vacation week to really study the CCS cases and watched most of the ********** videos. The second time around I boosted my score in all the categories a little bit and pushed biostats all the way to the right. I thought I nailed ccs the second time around but I actually did a bit worse. I think if you're not in internal medicine the orders don't come naturally to you no matter how much you study the algorithms for ccs.

Tl;dr For studying a second time your UWorld percentages will be super inflated. Use a second bank as a guide to how you're doing. Also really study the answer choices when you have even the tiniest doubt on a question. On the real test it's more a test of stamina and how well you can make a well informed guess. Hope that helps. Books are worthless.

Thanks for the invaluable input!