Planning For Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums and I was wondering if anyone can give me some input on what direction I should be taking on my journey to becoming a PT.

I am currently a senior at Kent State University and will be applying for grad school this fall. I will most likely graduate in Spring of 2018, but I will probably be part time in the Spring because I will have to only take one more class to graduate plus prereqs for PT school. I am taking the GRE at the end of June and will have over 150 observation hours when I apply this fall.

I plan on applying to: The University of Toledo, Gannon University, Walsh University, and Army-Baylor. I have no prior experience in the military. Army-Baylor is by far my top school. My Cum. GPA is a 3.55 at Kent State, but I also have a Cum. GPA of 3.6 at Cleveland State University. I studied at CSU for four semesters. My prereq GPA currently is a 3.37. This is part of where my issue comes in to play. I have performed well recently in my studies with a 3.94 in fall of 2016 and a 4.0 in spring of this year, but when I was in high school I took 21 credit hours at a branch of Kent State and received a Cum. GPA of 2.9. I also received a C in one of my prereqs, which is the lowest prereq grade I have. I have also received C+ in another, but the rest are at least Bs.

My question is, assuming I do well on the GRE, what should I expect in regards to the schools I plan on applying to? I really do want to attend Army-Baylor and would consider retaking some of my pre reqs and even possibly getting my masters in Ex. Science if that increases my chances of getting in there. What would be some good advice on my next steps as I prepare for the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning;
I'd recommend that you retake prerequisite courses, score well on the GRE (see www.baylor.edu/graduate/pt) and the PTCAS directory page for the Army-Baylor DPT program. There are guidelines that are helpful to follow. A master's in exercise science won't help much unless your prerequisite coursework and cumulative undergraduate GPA are strong. Take a tour of the program at Ft Sam Houston. If you are to apply, plan to apply this summer and do it early (JULY) if you can meet the deadlines. Good luck.