Places to stay on interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exactwilson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with airbnb? Good or bad? Trying to figure out where to stay for the interviews I need to travel to

Members don't see this ad.

I just played it safe and stayed at hotels (all <$90/night), usually ones with free breakfast so I could quickly down something light to keep me going through the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I just played it safe and stayed at hotels (all <$90/night), usually ones with free breakfast so I could quickly down something light to keep me going through the interview.

Same. Also try to stay close to the school, especially if you don't have a rental car. Some of these hotels have shuttles that will take you to the school. The school will let you know if that's an option.

I like Airbnb but I found that it was cheaper to get a hotel room especially since they have an iron and most are quiet. Getting a room in someone's house can be a wild card and you don't want to deal with that during interviews. Plus free breakfast!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) airbnb it w/ earplugs

2) call up the school and ask to see if they offer housing. many do, but do not advertise it.

3) last resort hotel.

I stayed in an airbnb for an interview and I would 10/10 recommend. Just make sure you read the reviews for the host so you pick a safe place to stay.

I looked into airbnb but found that the majority of the time, hotels didn't cost that much more and usually came with a free airport shuttle and free breakfast. Also, I hadn't thought about it, but the point about the iron being available is pretty solid.

If money is tight, though, airbnb is a good option. Just make sure to look into other costs when you compare between the two (like the cost of getting from an airport to the airbnb vs. having a free airport-to-hotel shuttle, for example). The difference in price can often be deceiving once you factor in these other costs.

Reactions: 1 users
I can empathize if money is tight, and acknowledge weird stuff can happen anywhere... but consider this: This interview is possibly one of the most important days of your life so far. Do you want to chance getting a bad night's sleep for pocket change?

Someone in the house might object to your presence? Maybe you and the host don't click, or quibble over some faux pa? To me it seems like added stress on a day when you need to be at your best.

Last edited:
I have used airbnb many times. Some of these posts about chancing your interview seem a little doom and gloom in my opinion. Just pick a place with several positive reviews and you'll more than likely be fine. I have never had a bad experience on there, but I also don't pick places that were just posted and never reviewed.

I have used airbnb many times. Some of these posts about chancing your interview seem a little doom and gloom in my opinion. Just pick a place with several positive reviews and you'll more than likely be fine. I have never had a bad experience on there, but I also don't pick places that were just posted and never reviewed.

Agreed. Pick positive reviews. Also, I hardly see or chat with the hosts, ever.

I've had bad experiences at Airbnbs with excellent reviews. It happens but it isn't super common.