Pitt vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shores425

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! i'm deciding between these two schools and keep flip-flopping between the two. both schools would cost the same. i loved the vibes i got from both schools, but i enjoy the suburban feel of emory's location more than the urban feel of pittsburgh. however, it seems like pitt's resources and reputation as a medical juggernaut might be on another level compared to emory, and i'd be throwing away opportunities if I don't go there. i'm not sure what field i'd like to go into yet, but it's most likely not primary care. distance from family is not an issue for me, but i would like to match in the NE in the future.
---
Emory

Pros
suburban location of campus (not in downtown atlanta)
short, 5-mo scholarly project

Cons
not as reputable as pitt(?)
harder to match in the northeast(?)
---
Pitt

Pros
more reputable, amazing clinical resources
easier to match in the northeast(?)

Cons
urban location of campus
emphasis on research... mandatory 2yr scholarly project (not sure if research is my thing yet)
---

tl;dr.. would going to emory close any doors for me in the future, in terms of matching in the NE or going into academic medicine if i decide that's what i want to do?

thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt is not "on another level" in reputation, imo. They are equals, and both excellent (for example both scored exactly the same 4.0/5 on the US News survey of residency directors). You can match all over the place from Emory including the Northeast.

If you wanted to stay at Pitt for residency that would be a big reason to go there, but if you are just interested in the Northeast in general and prefer the location of Emory, then go to Emory!

Reactions: 1 user