Piercings in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittycat090198

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory title...

Only post I saw about this is from 2004 so while I know body modification is being more widely accepted even in the span of the last decade+ I was wondering whether I should take out my nose ring for dental school

TIA! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty self explanatory title...

Only post I saw about this is from 2004 so while I know body modification is being more widely accepted even in the span of the last decade+ I was wondering whether I should take out my nose ring for dental school

TIA! :)

is it a nose ring or a stud? A lot of my classmates have a nose stud in (they are indian so i think its a cultural thing?)
if its a nose ring i would take it out since it doesn't look too professional.

is it a nose ring or a stud? A lot of my classmates have a nose stud in (they are indian so i think its a cultural thing?)
if its a nose ring i would take it out since it doesn't look too professional.

Thanks! It's a tiny stud. I might just take it out anyways. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people in my class have one. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 5 users
Another alternative would be a plastic retainer stud. Amazon sells those lol

I've been wondering about this as well. Same with unnaturally colored hair. I'd love to get a streak of something fun before I enter the clinic.

Looks very unprofessional. If I was in a chair and I saw a dentist come in with some funky colored hair, I would never ever come back.

Reactions: 5 users
Sure but I'm talking about before we enter the clinic. I would remove it before I start seeing patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks very unprofessional. If I was in a chair and I saw a dentist come in with some funky colored hair, I would never ever come back.
well, I don't want such judgmental patient either!
and I am gonna dye my hair silver one day!

Most of the kids at my school (undergrad) dye their hair new colors,
this is becoming more normal, I guess in 5-10 years, this would look normal.

Most of the kids at my school (undergrad) dye their hair new colors,
this is becoming more normal, I guess in 5-10 years, this would look normal.

The question that you have to consider though, is that while to your own age demographic and social circle, it may be quite normal and not thought twice about, will the entire age spectrum of your future patients feel the same way? Often if they don't they'll "voice their displeasure" by simply not returning to your office for more than the first visit or two.....

Reactions: 1 users
Some dental schools have strict dress codes and rules regarding tattoos, piercing, hair dye, and even dating classmates :eek:. I actually declined to attend a particular dental school because of such draconian measures (although it was not the only reason).

Long story short, check with the dental school you're about to attend. But most schools are fine with it.

Reactions: 2 users
Some dental schools have strict dress codes and rules regarding tattoos, piercing, hair dye, and even dating classmates :eek:. I actually declined to attend a particular dental school because of such draconian measures (although it was not the only reason).

Long story short, check with the dental school you're about to attend. But most schools are fine with it.

probably not BU cause faculty dates students there.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not a fan of the body modifications and such. Remember that this is one of the more conservative fields out there so while it may fly in school expect to hurt your public image.

It's not professional and depends on the school too. "No facial or oral piercings may be worn. Visible tattoos must be covered." That's the rule at mine (from the dress code guide)

Bringing this back, because I'm debating about getting new ear piercings. (Helix and secondary lobe ones)....I mean it's on my ear, and can technically be covered by my ear or even removed...so should it be okay?

Bringing this back, because I'm debating about getting new ear piercings. (Helix and secondary lobe ones)....I mean it's on my ear, and can technically be covered by my ear or even removed...so should it be okay?

I feel like earrings look really classy in moderation and shouldn’t be looked at as unprofessional. My opinion is obviously minuscule when compared to your faculty and patients

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I had gauged ears before dental school and took them out during interviews and while in dental school. Patients care more about how you interact with them than how you look, but I'd rather fly under the radar than rock the boat while in school. Once I'm out then I'll do whatever I want.

A little stud is pretty normal in this day and age, keep it in.