PICU fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillypeds2010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am in the current PICU fellowship application cycle, and have found that there is very little information about programs available online, which is making it difficult for me to decide where to interview. I applied very broadly, and need to narrow down my search a bit.

First and foremost, I am interested to know which programs are on a night float system. I know Hopkins is, and am wondering if any other programs have made the switch.

Any other pearls about programs would be very helpful to me (and I am sure other applicants in the same boat!!!)

Specific programs I am interested to learn about include:
Michigan, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, UCLA, CHLA, UCSD, Stanford, UCSF, Baylor, Wash U, Boston, Children's National, Cincinnati Children's, Nationwide, Pittsburgh, Northwestern, University of Chicago, Seattle Children's.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To kind of piggy back if you don't mind, I am planning on applying PICU next year and am curious about that stuff as well and which programs are considered mid tier. I want to apply broad, but smart.

The fellowship information websites may give you some information, though you are right, it may be limited. I can't remember if FRIEDA gives that information, but I feel like it did.

However, I'm not sure the presence of a night float really means anything. The more important things are, months of CVICU, presence of an ECMO program, scholarly activity of fellows, etc. Those things will make a difference in your training, not night float. To each their own of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fellowship information websites may give you some information, though you are right, it may be limited. I can't remember if FRIEDA gives that information, but I feel like it did.

However, I'm not sure the presence of a night float really means anything. The more important things are, months of CVICU, presence of an ECMO program, scholarly activity of fellows, etc. Those things will make a difference in your training, not night float. To each their own of course.
Thanks. There is very little info on any of these topics on Frieda or really program websites.
Night float makes a difference to me personally because I know myself well and know that I don't function or learn well in a nigh float set up.

Agree with @SurfingDoctor that there are bigger fish to fry, but if night float is really that big of a deal breaker for you, then contact the programs you're thinking about. This isn't some sort of game, you need a program that you can excel in, the programs need fellows who will excel. Call or email the coordinator or PD. Simply ask what their night float situation is, when you get an answer, a simple thank you will work for programs that have night float. For those that don't, reply back with thank you and that you're pleased to hear that they don't have night float. That will mitigate any possible negative thoughts in anyone's mind that you're trying to avoid work or something else untoward.

The one thing I will say though, is that you should consider the bigger picture here when thinking about night float. If you are thinking about doing bench research, night float may be an advantage towards getting your research humming. A lot easier to make progress in the lab when you don't have skip every 4th day asleep.

To kind of piggy back if you don't mind, I am planning on applying PICU next year and am curious about that stuff as well and which programs are considered mid tier. I want to apply broad, but smart.

The programs listed in the OP are all strong programs. Would expect good things from graduates of any of these programs.

Reactions: 1 user