Picking the main idea out in CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rishikish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a method for those who can easily pick out the main idea of a CARS passage. I've been practicing, and constantly get the main idea questions wrong. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your method? It is easier to see what is wrong with what you're doing rather than just throwing everythign away and starting from scratch.

I'm getting the "wrong" main idea if that makes sense. I read the passage, and then I think I have the main idea figured out, and apparently I don't.

I'm getting the "wrong" main idea if that makes sense. I read the passage, and then I think I have the main idea figured out, and apparently I don't.
On tougher passages I would write a couple of words to sum up every paragraph's idea, what it brings to the essay as a whole. It is easier to make meaning of a passage that way IMO. Have you tried any strategies? Or do you just read and wing it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I warn against making a list of "main ideas" for each paragraph and then trying to create a "summary" main idea that includes them all. This always leads my students to create what I call "Laundry List" main ideas (...oh yeah, he talked about capitalism too, that's got to be part of my main idea, oh and there was that paragraph about racism, and he mentioned literature too...). The correct main idea sometimes summarizes all of the articles components nicely, but often it does not. For example, MCAT CAR passages often include introductory stories or illustrations, examples, citations to authorities, and so forth. When these items dominate most or a majority of the word count students DEFAULT to them being the main idea. Usually an illustrative example or citation is NOT the main idea.

Similarly, the concept that is brought up first is NOT necessarily the main idea. Students who were taught to start all essays with their thesis are prone to make this error.

I find that most students will most accurately arrive at the main idea by asking themselves questions such as: "For what purpose did the author write this piece?" or "What did the author care about most?" or "What idea/impression would this author MOST want you to take away from his or her piece?" It is an approximate amalgam of the central thrust/purpose/intended take-home message.

Any student will always struggle to arrive at an accurate main idea if he or she lacks the reading comprehension skills to read MCAT-style literature and comprehend what is being said within the time allotted. I have found that many students I sit down with who are still struggling simply don't remember or understand a LOT of what they just read. How to analyze the passages in a systematic way and think as the MCAT authors do can be taught; but one cannot synthesize a holistic picture out of nothing. That is why ESL students will always struggle until their language skills improve and why the "short-cuts" and "tricks" proposed by status quo prep materials prove to be nothing more than ineffective gimmicks.

Reactions: 2 users
^ Interesting. English is my 3rd language and my vocabulary is not that extensive but I cannot say that I ever felt that my shortcomings in English were that significant in hindering the way I understand the passage or understand and answer questions. Critical thinking greatly outweighs English skills in CARS IMO.

I largely ignored all recommendations from TPR other than resorting to writing down a few words for the point/idea of every paragraph in a particularly difficult passage. The questions you suggest the test-taker to ask himself can actually be accurately answered by doing what I do + highlighting words of opinion/that show transition in an argument.

What I find gimmicky is a very detailed and precise algorithm/set of techniques that are to be consistently used. I find that little tricks such as the ones I have proposed have worked well for me and friends. Above all, practice is most helpful. Out of curiosity, what strategy do you offer?

You probably overestimate your own language abilities...based upon the very natural flow of your syntax in the post you just made, AND the fact that you said you did "understand" the passage. The ESL students I work with regularly--and to whom I was referring--do not write as well as you do nor have your vocabulary (struggling ESL students don't say things like "I largely ignored all recommendations from TPR other than resorting"...I could not tell from your syntax alone that you are not a native speaker). As far as critical thinking, I think you misunderstood. The critical thinking and analysis of the literature IS what you are being tested on, and it can be taught and improved, but one cannot think critically about things one does not have clear in one's own mind--it is like drawing from an empty well.

You are on the right track about "gimmicks"--the status quo test prep companies are full of them and they range from flat, to strange, to outright counterproductive. We don't teach gimmicks, we teach best practices. There are CERTAINLY principles and practices which are proven effective and can be learned. The differences between a best practice and a gimmick include: the best practice is effective (the gimmick usually is not), the best practice may work, but it still takes effort, focus and practice to develop (gimmicks are quick-fixes), and most-of-all, in my experience proven principles require you to practice thinking (gimmicks are usually MINDLESS TRICKS you can supposedly apply without actual critical thought). They're just like magic diet pills...they sell easily to desperate people.

It sounds almost like you're asking for a gimmick. Our strategies are really best practices/habits and those take longer to explain and develop than can be described in a catchy slogan. In the test prep industry "strategy" and "gimmick" are usually synonymous--although those selling you those "valuable strategies" wont' admit as much. There aren't many "secrets"...but there are people or programs who are more/less effective at helping students understand how best to approach passages or how to develop the skills needed.

I will try to explain one important strategy we teach and you'll see its kind of a strategy, but more a method or practice, really a system to gradually build skills. People don't like "systems" that require time to understand, practice and perfect...those don't sell nearly as well.

Here goes...We find that the most successful CARS students are able to read a challenging passage and quickly dissolve the entire passage down into a few main points, supporting arguments, and conclusions. More importantly, they can see exactly how those components of the passage relate to one another. We have also found that the very best CARS students have an almost mathematical/algorithmic approach to understanding the passage structure. They could not only tell you all of the components of the piece, but represent graphically how each component relates to the other (does one point support the other, was one offered as a counterpoint, was one part of the main argument, was it background information, was it unsupported, did it favor the author's opinion, match the author's opinion, detract from the author's opinion, etc.). So, having recognized this fact, we developed a Three Stage CARS Development Strategy. We begin students with one drill which they do until they can accurately read and remember most of the basics (comprehension/focus). We then move to a second drill in which they begin diagramming the passage in simple ways using a matrix of six squares. We then move them to a three-square matrix that requires them to simplify and consolidate even further. We finally graduate them to taking very little notes at all as they read, jotting down only a few mathematical symbols that show how the passage components relate to one another.

Do you see? This is one of several strategies we employ with our students. However, it isn't easily explained (I haven't come even close to fully explaining it in the paragraph above), and it takes consistent effort by the student to master each step of the process and progress to the new stage. If they do so, they become CAR masters, but those looking for quick-fixes and magic pills will never make it through those stages. They'll go hunting for some magic strategy that will transform them overnight.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know any good CARs book for the new test? I got the new TPR one and I have an old EK 101 book. I've used all my EK 101 book and felt TPR was OK but not really AAMC like.

It sounds almost like you're asking for a gimmick. Our strategies are really best practices/habits and those take longer to explain and develop than can be described in a catchy slogan. In the test prep industry "strategy" and "gimmick" are usually synonymous--although those selling you those "valuable strategies" wont' admit as much. There aren't many "secrets"...but there are people or programs who are more/less effective at helping students understand how best to approach passages or how to develop the skills needed.

I will try to explain one important strategy we teach and you'll see its kind of a strategy, but more a method or practice, really a system to gradually build skills. People don't like "systems" that require time to understand, practice and perfect...those don't sell nearly as well.

Here goes...We find that the most successful CARS students are able to read a challenging passage and quickly dissolve the entire passage down into a few main points, supporting arguments, and conclusions. More importantly, they can see exactly how those components of the passage relate to one another. We have also found that the very best CARS students have an almost mathematical/algorithmic approach to understanding the passage structure. They could not only tell you all of the components of the piece, but represent graphically how each component relates to the other (does one point support the other, was one offered as a counterpoint, was one part of the main argument, was it background information, was it unsupported, did it favor the author's opinion, match the author's opinion, detract from the author's opinion, etc.). So, having recognized this fact, we developed a Three Stage CARS Development Strategy. We begin students with one drill which they do until they can accurately read and remember most of the basics (comprehension/focus). We then move to a second drill in which they begin diagramming the passage in simple ways using a matrix of six squares. We then move them to a three-square matrix that requires them to simplify and consolidate even further. We finally graduate them to taking very little notes at all as they read, jotting down only a few mathematical symbols that show how the passage components relate to one another.

Do you see? This is one of several strategies we employ with our students. However, it isn't easily explained (I haven't come even close to fully explaining it in the paragraph above), and it takes consistent effort by the student to master each step of the process and progress to the new stage. If they do so, they become CAR masters, but those looking for quick-fixes and magic pills will never make it through those stages. They'll go hunting for some magic strategy that will transform them overnight.

No. I got a 130 on CARS. I just don't like people advertising on forums such as this.

Fantastic advice. One quick question I had is regarding the speed with which I do this. Using AAMC practice materials, I've found that I can critically analyze a passage in about 5 minutes and then rapidly answer questions, since I know the passage content so well. It's consistently yielded me 131s and 132s on practice materials. Now I'm worried about using this approach on the real thing. Many students have said the real test has much longer passages than the practice material (one person said some were even double length!). Am I setting myself up for failure by investing more in passage reading?

If you can consistently score 131-132 on AAMC practice exams, and you have a calm test day experience, you should be able to replicate that, or very near to it. My personal belief is that the CARS on some test day forms could be SLIGHTLY longer than the AAMC practice tests, but not drastically so. First, most students who have reported this are counting paragraphs. Obviously, unless you have a word count, passage A could have 10 paragraphs and passage B 3 paragraphs and they could actually be the same # of words. Second, the test-day screens are quite often older computers with a more narrow (less landscape) layout than the monitors or laptops on which students practice. This creates a dramatic difference in "scrolling". Many students will mention in their test day feedback that they got freaked out by how much they had to scroll. That too could make a passage seem much, much longer than it really is, just because it is formatted in a more narrow horizontal space.

I and my closest tutor friends at altius send in some very well prepared students for this exam and we pick their brains heavily once they return. I trust them more than the general consensus on SDN, and I'm quite confident in telling my students to expect CARS passages in the 500-650 word range. Like everything else the AAMC does, there is a mean (probably 600ish), and they tolerate a few outliers. So, it is possible you could see a 700+ passage, maybe even a couple, but most passages will be 550-650.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can consistently score 131-132 on AAMC practice exams, and you have a calm test day experience, you should be able to replicate that, or very near to it. My personal belief is that the CARS on some test day forms could be SLIGHTLY longer than the AAMC practice tests, but not drastically so. First, most students who have reported this are counting paragraphs. Obviously, unless you have a word count, passage A could have 10 paragraphs and passage B 3 paragraphs and they could actually be the same # of words. Second, the test-day screens are quite often older computers with a more narrow (less landscape) layout than the monitors or laptops on which students practice. This creates a dramatic difference in "scrolling". Many students will mention in their test day feedback that they got freaked out by how much they had to scroll. That too could make a passage seem much, much longer than it really is, just because it is formatted in a more narrow horizontal space.

I and my closest tutor friends at altius send in some very well prepared students for this exam and we pick their brains heavily once they return. I trust them more than the general consensus on SDN, and I'm quite confident in telling my students to expect CARS passages in the 500-650 word range. Like everything else the AAMC does, there is a mean (probably 600ish), and they tolerate a few outliers. So, it is possible you could see a 700+ passage, maybe even a couple, but most passages will be 550-650.

What about old AAMC tests? I have been using old AAMC for verbal practice and did quite well on them (~11-13). I haven't done any of the CARS qpacks yet so I don't know how I will do on them. But are the old verbal passages similar to the new CARS?

What about old AAMC tests? I have been using old AAMC for verbal practice and did quite well on them (~11-13). I haven't done any of the CARS qpacks yet so I don't know how I will do on them. But are the old verbal passages similar to the new CARS?

If I understand you correctly, you are taking old, retired AAMC tests (from pre-2015) for CARS practice? If so, then you are basically taking the CARS question packs, b/c that is what the AAMC used to create the new CARS QPacks--VR passages from old AAMC practice tests. WARNING: The AAMC also re-used some of those old CARS passages in their new MCAT-2015 CARS materials, so you may find a passage you've taken before when you attempt the AAMC full-lengths, Official Guide, etc.

Yes, the old AAMC VR is quite similar to the new MCAT-2015 CARS.

Here are a few tips I think help students practice getting at the Main Idea:

1) I'd recommend using CARS practice resources that will summarize the passages in their solutions section. This allows you a way to check yourself. With the companies that don't do this, it's hard to know if you're actually as good or on point as you think you are.
2) I'd recommend you read through of Jack Westin's passages here. (I have no connection to his company, we're actually competitors, but I think this resource is really good) Daily Free MCAT CARS Practice - Jack Westin. Basically, you read the passage and then in the comments right down the main idea. Other people do too, so you can check yourself against them.
3) I wouldn't worry about taking notes while you're taking an actual test, but when you're reviewing, I think it can be very useful to read back through the passages and do a very thorough review. This allows you to build these skills over time and eventually you'll find that you're better at summarizing the passages live instead of just in review mode.
4) We have a post about how to think about the main idea in our 30 Day CARS Guide Thread. Maybe you'll find it useful: Day 11 – CARS Question Types: The Main Idea

Best of luck!