Physio study tools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting second semester with unbridled enthusiasm- trying to take advantage before it is beaten out of me by week 2.

1st semester I did slightly above average-well in all my classes, and got by on rote memorization for biochem, histo, and gross anat. I had a good system of reviewing class notes, supplementing them with info from textbook, transcribing it all into organized sets on quizlet, and then bombing through the flashcards until I knew them. However, Physio is clearly a different animal, and I'm not sure how to play the game. I know that I have to take a different approach, given that memorization is not sufficient, but... not sure what it is.

How do YOU study Physio or conceptual classes? What's your system? I really like using only tools like Quizlet but I don't think that it lends itself to Physio. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We did about 4/5 of our physio class last semester, we're finishing it up now. I have around a 95 average in it I believe. I usually still begin it with hardcore memorization, just to make sure I cover everything that the professor talked about multiple times. Then I start looking at it more conceptually and thinking up different scenarios and making those connections. One of my friends does the exact opposite, he takes more of a slow and steady approach to really drive home the concepts, then if he has time at the end he'll try the memorization stuff to drive home the finer random details. Due to time constraints, he usually doesn't have time to full memorize as much as me and I don't end up having the time to conceptually learn as much as him. I think I do slightly better on the exams because they're multiple choice and so memorization and key words alone can still take you a long way. I have no doubt that if it were short answer or some other format he would perform better, but it's not, and he doesn't. He probably also will retain the info longer than I will. So I guess it depends largely on your time constraints. I'm sure there are better ways to actually learn the material than what I do, but there probably aren't many ways to get it into your head just well enough for an exam coming up a week after the lectures. At least that's been my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I used this book that actually helped me more so for brushing up on physio for Part 1. You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere besides amazon.
51Vzv4Vb4uL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
And you nipped it on the bud. Physio is NOT memorization. It's concepts. So review and going over example problems as much as you can is your best bet.

I'm assuming you go to Barry.

He's a poor lecturer, his notes aren't that great, and his tests are insanely difficult. So basically you need to find whatever resources you can find to help learn the concepts better because personally I wouldn't put my faith in him to make sure you understand everything (BRS, First Aid for basic conceptual understanding, youtube videos) Many people remediate his class so stay on top of it!