Physician forcibly removed from plane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Kentucky Medical Board site physician look-up tool is down (no surprise), but someone does appear to have grabbed information before it went:

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...united-flight-doctor-troubled-past/100318320/

Dao was convicted of multiple felony counts of obtaining drugs by fraud or deceit in November 2004 and was placed on five years of supervised probation in January 2005, according to the documents. He surrendered his medical license the next month.

The Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure permitted Dao to resume practicing medicine in 2015 under certain conditions.

The report is viewable now. Very interesting reading to say the least.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't care how stupid the situation is and how pissed you are. You scream and carry on like that as an adult man and there's something wrong with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Because he misbehaved, it made international news. If he had calmly left the flight, then United would have continued bumping people off flights.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because he misbehaved, it made international news. If he had calmly left the flight, then United would have continued bumping people off flights.
1) No kidding. But he didn't misbehave to make international news, he misbehaved because he's not all there.

2) They did and will continue bumping people.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not so sure- with such outrageous behaviors by the airline, there may now be some changes. It would be no different if a hospital continually overbooked their ORs and had to send people repeatedly home for their surgeries.

I am not so sure- with such outrageous behaviors by the airline, there may now be some changes. It would be no different if a hospital continually overbooked their ORs and had to send people repeatedly home for their surgeries.

Nope. There will be no changes. We are powerless as consumers against such gigantic corporations. Try boycotting United or Continental Airlines at Newark or Houston airport. It's just not going to happen. The FTC and DOJ has been turning a blind eye to these mergers for decades and it is stifling growth and innovation in the American economy. They allow these deals to happen as long as the companies agree to keep prices low enough. Consumers have no voice in this economy. Small businesses that can provide a better service do not stand a chance in our economy.

Here is a recent op-ed from Jim Koch (founder of Boston Beer Company...Sam Adams) about how even the craft beer revolution is dying because independent brewers are being bought up by one of two giant corporations. Is It Last Call for Craft Beer?

Until we have a government that doesn't solely exist to make billionaires richer, we will continue to see poor behavior by corporations towards consumers. We are powerless against them. We have no recourse because in our economy we have no choice.

I would be shocked if the contract of carriage doesn't cover them from every possible scenario you can think of, including this one. The lawyers who wrote it are the best money can buy, I am sure.
Besides, who is this guy going to get the millions from? If these are police who removed him, they're the ones who roughed him up, not the airline.

The airline will give him a substantial amount of money because the legality doesn't matter in the least at this point. It's the PR.

You think the airline will hesitate to give him millions in settlement in exchange for signing a contract to not going on every morning talk show and interview detailing the "brutality" he endured? I'm certain his phone is ringing with offers and he has a lawyer advising him to wait for united's best offer. They lost billions already from stock drops. A few million is pocket change.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The airline will give him a substantial amount of money because the legality doesn't matter in the least at this point. It's the PR.

You think the airline will hesitate to give him millions in settlement in exchange for signing a contract to not going on every morning talk show and interview detailing the "brutality" he endured? I'm certain his phone is ringing with offers and he has a lawyer advising him to wait for united's best offer. They lost billions already from stock drops. A few million is pocket change.

Stock price will recover. This guy isn't polished or likable enough to appear on talks shows. This "viral" internet sensation will blow over in a week when something else catches our attention or The Donald does/says something dumb again. He may get some money, but any public relations damage has been done already. United may give him some money or a year of free travel, but I am not sure he'll get millions. Wasn't it the cops who roughed him up anyway?

I don't care how stupid the situation is and how pissed you are. You scream and carry on like that as an adult man and there's something wrong with you.

Screaming and carrying on while being physically assaulted or after being physically assaulted does not mean there is something wrong with you.
I would agree with you if he did the above while being politely asked to leave.

Ohhh. So you heard about our model?

Screaming and carrying on while being physically assaulted or after being physically assaulted does not mean there is something wrong with you.
I would agree with you if he did the above while being politely asked to leave.
"Physical assault" is not a descriptor of the situation. He was trespassing and was resisting the police. It was predictable where it was going once the police asked him to leave, and not something to scream and cry about like a child.

The airline policy may be ridiculous. It might be stupid and unfair. It might even be illegal. At the very least they should have offered a lot more to get someone to volunteer.

But when the police tell you to do something, they're not going to just "give up" if you resist. They may be completely in the wrong, in which case you should lawyer up, demand money, get the media involved, etc... But don't resist the police and then act like a baby when they do what they do to absolutely EVERY person who resists them.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Physical assault" is not a descriptor of the situation. He was trespassing and was resisting the police. It was predictable where it was going once the police asked him to leave, and not something to scream and cry about like a child.

The airline policy may be ridiculous. It might be stupid and unfair. It might even be illegal. At the very least they should have offered a lot more to get someone to volunteer.

But when the police tell you to do something, they're not going to just "give up" if you resist. They may be completely in the wrong, in which case you should lawyer up, demand money, get the media involved, etc... But don't resist the police and then act like a baby when they do what they do to absolutely EVERY person who resists them.

In general I agree it's a bad idea to resist the police as you are likely to end up disabled or dead.

In this case it turned out well for him as I highly doubt he suffered any long-term injuries, "won" a victory against the airline and very likely will receive a large settlement.

The courts will determine "trespassing"

I go on flyertalk (the big travel frequent flyer forums). Legally United may not have a leg to stand since they "boarded" him already. The big mistake United gate agents made was boarding the passengers.

So the "contract of carriage" doesn't specifiy if they can boot u off AFTER THEY boarded u. Only deny u boarding. We are dealing with a big gray area here. United better off just writing a check and moving on.

Also as a side note. My buddy who's a radiologist plays World Series of poker and has made $150k himself. He says 234k World Series of poker the guy won. Means he likely LOST MONEY. He texted me this after the World Series of poker

"$234K is deceiving though because that doesn't include all the losses and buy insurance"

I don't think that trespassing applies. He was allowed to board. I view im as a renter who the airline wanted to evict. Let them sue him civilly. New cell phone video showed him calmly refusing prior to the physical interaction. If I were on the jury I would nullify the judge's instructions to the contrary

I don't think that trespassing applies. He was allowed to board. I view im as a renter who the airline wanted to evict. Let them sue him civilly. New cell phone video showed him calmly refusing prior to the physical interaction. If I were on the jury I would nullify the judge's instructions to the contrary
I don't disagree AT ALL with the merits of the guy's argument. And United deserves what they get. But I can't imagine screaming and crying like a nut job in this situation. I think ultimately the outcome is great, in that he drew attention to this ridiculous issue. But he behaved like a child. My opinion.

I should clarify about resisting the police too. There are some situations where resistance is meant to send a message about something you care deeply about. You know you might get your a$$ kicked, but there's some principal involved, say stopping an oil pipeline or arguing some perceived injustice. If you're willing to accept the consequences, then go for it.

Maybe this guy had some deep principal in keeping his seat, which is not an unreasonable position to take. But screaming and crying like a child is a weird way to handle it.

But screaming and crying like a child is a weird way to handle it.
Why are you so fixated on that? You clearly have some issues.

What are you trying to hide?

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you so fixated on that? You clearly have some issues.

What are you trying to hide?

urge a real man like pooh & annie would never make those noises. not even under torture. thats what he's getting at

There's a third option in between "get up and go quietly" and "resist / fight the police" and it's passive, non threatening refusal to comply. Ghandi-style, if you will.

You will still get hauled off, but you're a lot less likely to get hurt if you aren't throwing punches, and you can still take legal action later.

There's a third option in between "get up and go quietly" and "resist / fight the police" and it's passive, non threatening refusal to comply. Ghandi-style, if you will.

You will still get hauled off, but you're a lot less likely to get hurt if you aren't throwing punches, and you can still take legal action later.

Sounds like that's how he started until he lost it.

I wonder how UAL CEO Munoz would have responded if he was "re-accommodated" before a busy day at work.

Last edited:
Btw, all those stuff about his licensing issue is a mudsmearing campaign and as far as I understand targets the wrong guy. The guy who was hurt graduated from Hopkins.

It's quite disgusting how far some people go here to put down a man who stood up against violence.

Btw, the plane was not overbooked. He was assualted, period.

Btw, all those stuff about his licensing issue is a mudsmearing campaign and as far as I understand targets the wrong guy.

Please provide link or source. The Kentucky Medical Board database indicates he has a major ding on his license and that he went to medical school at the University of Ho Chi Minh City.

Please provide link or source. The Kentucky Medical Board database indicates he has a major ding on his license and that he went to medical school at the University of Ho Chi Minh City.
Does it matter?

I'm surprised -- and maybe I shouldn't be -- about the name calling and negative comments here toward Dr. Dao.

His behavior seemed strange, to be sure. But a "dingus" who has whatever in his past is totally irrelevant to this incident. I don't think any of the players in the royal clusterf**k leading to him being dragged off the plane knew the facts that we do. If that was you, or your dad, or your mom, or whatever, you'd be f**king pissed. That is all.

I cannot provide such information prior to confirming the name of the actual passenger. Will not be able to do that until the lawsuit comes out. As you can imagine I cannot trust any statement released by United without a legal discovery process behind it.

Same thing to you. You cannot confirm any information regarding him. Except that some of the more negative stuff can be considered libel.

I noticed you are a STudent doctor network admin. Does your statement reflect the official view of the student doctor network? Just curious.

Last edited:
Dao's lawyer, Thomas Demetrio, said he plans to sue United and the authorities who manhandled his client. He said that Dao suffered a concussion, two missing teeth, a broken nose and injuries to his sinuses, and will have to undergo reconstructive surgery.

United offers to compensate passengers on Flight 3411

I don't think this doctor will need to work any more after he is done with United.

I don't disagree AT ALL with the merits of the guy's argument. And United deserves what they get. But I can't imagine screaming and crying like a nut job in this situation. I think ultimately the outcome is great, in that he drew attention to this ridiculous issue. But he behaved like a child. My opinion.

I should clarify about resisting the police too. There are some situations where resistance is meant to send a message about something you care deeply about. You know you might get your a$$ kicked, but there's some principal involved, say stopping an oil pipeline or arguing some perceived injustice. If you're willing to accept the consequences, then go for it.

Maybe this guy had some deep principal in keeping his seat, which is not an unreasonable position to take. But screaming and crying like a child is a weird way to handle it.

Many of the claims you've made about this man, including that he was trespassing, "crying like a nut job" and "screaming like a child" have no basis in fact.

I mean, once they told him to leave their private property and he refused, he was trespassing. That is a fact. He could be facing at least 3 federal felonies if they wanted to pursue it.

I mean, once they told him to leave their private property and he refused, he was trespassing. That is a fact. He could be facing at least 3 federal felonies if they wanted to pursue it.

Except he paid for a spot, where United is contractually obliged to fullfil. Later on it was found that the flight was NOT overbooked.

Say you drive 8 hours to a restaurant, paid for a meal, waited 3 hours, then the restaurant owner come out and say "sorry, family member is coming, I can give you a refund of your meal, or a meal ticket that you can use for one meal at a time up to a year only at my restaurant, if you don't leave, you are trespassing and I will use force on you?"

Rumors abound about a $10 million settlement offer from United. Dr. Dao may not settle for anything less than $10 million and it won't surprise me to read the final settlement is over $15 million.

This is not a fact at all. Per a few aviation lawyers, the united carriage contract allows them to deny boarding for overbooking. However, that does not include being on the plane. Once on the plane, nothing in the carriage contract mentions they can kick him off for overbooking. Furthermore, the flight wasn't overbooked.

United will be settling for a lot of money. It's not even a question. Even if they had any case vs this guy, the ridiculous PR it would garner would cost way more than a settlement.

Look at media response after the CEO called him belligerent... Now turn that to 11.

I cannot provide such information prior to confirming the name of the actual passenger. Will not be able to do that until the lawsuit comes out. As you can imagine I cannot trust any statement released by United without a legal discovery process behind it.

Same thing to you. You cannot confirm any information regarding him. Except that some of the more negative stuff can be considered libel.

I noticed you are a STudent doctor network admin. Does your statement reflect the official view of the student doctor network? Just curious.

I haven't confirmed anything. His name is widely reported in the media.

Plus another $15M from the city.

I haven't confirmed anything. His name is widely reported in the media.

Just because his name is widely reported in the media and happened to be associated to some stuff, it doesn't make it true. Especially when Dao is such a common last name.

Given that you did not deny the question I asked in my last reply, I am going to assume that your replies represent the stance of the SDN as an organization then? That those potentially libelious fact about Dr. Dao should be widely publized?

You may want to consider avoiding associating your personal opinion to your organization. Just a friendly advice.

Just because his name is widely reported in the media and happened to be associated to some stuff, it doesn't make it true. Especially when Dao is such a common last name.
Except when its not a common name among doctors practicing in Kentucky...

Kentucky: GenSearch

Given that you did not deny the question I asked in my last reply, I am going to assume that your replies represent the stance of the SDN as an organization then? That those potentially libelious fact about Dr. Dao should be widely publized?

You may want to consider avoiding associating your personal opinion to your organization. Just a friendly advice.

Friend, the news media is widely reporting that the man dragged from the plane is Dr. David Dao who practice in Elizabethtown, Ky.

Link.

Most folks on this board would agree that conviction of six felonies constitutes a major "ding" on your license.

Friend, the news media is widely reporting that the man dragged from the plane is Dr. David Dao who practice in Elizabethtown, Ky.

Link.

Most folks on this board would agree that conviction of six felonies constitutes a major "ding" on your license.

Arch,

CNBC ran a full story on the guy saying the same things as you have posted. It's now public knowledge and factual.

The Vietnamese doctor who was thrust into the international spotlight this week after he was dragged from an overbooked United Airlines flight against his will was reportedly convicted of multiple felony drugs charges in 2004.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/

Is new info about doctor dragged off United flight relevant?

Last edited:
United-pillow.jpg

Link.

Friend, I would agree with you if we can confirm this is the passenger. I am not debating whether felony charges are bad on license, that's a given. I just cannot confirm the identity of people who did this. I see that those things are just being thrown around at this guy and taken as facts and that is not right.

Right now I don't see the firm evidence that this is the case. I am done with this discussion as I don't want to get into trouble with SDN admins. I suppose if all those turned out to be false it's going to reflect badly on all of us.

Last edited:
Arch,

CNBC ran a full story on the guy saying the same things as you have posted. It's now public knowledge and factual.

The Vietnamese doctor who was thrust into the international spotlight this week after he was dragged from an overbooked United Airlines flight against his will was reportedly convicted of multiple felony drugs charges in 2004.
Assuming for a second that this is correct, who cares?!

That still doesn't give United the right to a) kick him off the plane and b) assault him. There will still be a very large settlement from this story. His personal life doesn't matter in the least.

Assuming for a second that this is correct, who cares?!

That still doesn't give United the right to a) kick him off the plane and b) assault him. There will still be a very large settlement from this story. His personal life doesn't matter in the least.

A little background does help to set the stage on who he is and if he has engaged in bad behavior in the past. But, I do agree he gets a very large settlement in the $10-$15 million range.