Physiatrist Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question is often raised, "How much do PM&R doctors make?" While there is considerable variation based on geography, practice mix, and procedures here's some aggregate national information from:

1. Salary.com: (25th%ile: $170,602; Median: $182,123; 75th%tile: $199,607)

2. 2004 AMGA Medical Group Compensation and Productivity Survey: $184,803

3. PhysiatryJobsOnline.com

4. www.practicelink.com

Here are some other job listings:

1. American Association of Neuromusclar and Electrodiagnostic Medicine

2. American Academy of Pain Medicine

3. Virginia Commonwealth University

4. PhysicianRecruiting.com

5. Association of Academic Physiatrists

6. American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (You have to be a member to access the listings)

7. http://www.mdjobsite.com/Index2.cfm?Page=Jobs_Search (Free registration)

8. American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians

Members don't see this ad.

what is the salary for someone who did a fellowship in pm&r like pain managment, MSM, or spine??

According to the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) Physician Compensation and Production Survey for 2003:

General Physiatry:
25th Percentile $155K
50th Percentile $192K
75th Percentile $273K
90th Percentile $357K
Mean $234K

Pain Management (Anesthesia or PM&R):
25th Percentile 247K
50th Percentile 318K
75th Percentile 418K
90th Percentile 497K
Mean $335K

for comparison
General Orthopaedic Surgery:
25th Percentile 282K
50th Percentile 364K
75th Percentile 482K
90th Percentile 626K
Mean $404K

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
paz5559 said:
According to the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA) Physician Compensation and Production Survey for 2003:

General Physiatrist:
25th Percentile $155K
50th Percentile $192K
75th Percentile $273K
90th Percentile $357K
Mean $234K

25th Percentile 247K
50th Percentile 318K
75th Percentile 418K
90th Percentile 497K
Mean $335K

for comparison
General Orthopaedic Surgeons:
25th Percentile 282K
50th Percentile 364K
75th Percentile 482K
90th Percentile 626K
Mean $404K

Something that needs to be said is that many consider PM&R for the lifestyle. However, the ones earning in top 75% are not working "physiatry hours." Those physiatrists earning in excess of 300K are working their butt off. So you shouldn't do physiatry if you think you can make a lot of money and have the cush lifestyle. No one makes a lot of money without working a lot of hours(the exception is dermatology of course) You should do it because you like it because the top earners even in physiatry are working really hard. Do what you enjoy!

If you want to make a lot of money without working a lot of hours, radiology and anesthesiology might be better options for you. Physiatry is an exciting field and they are compensated well for the number of hours worked but the joke that PM&R stands for "Plenty of Money and Relaxation" is a misnomer. There are other fields like rads and anesthesiology that pay much higher. Contrary to popular opinion PM&R is not a $$$ field. Avoid it if you don't enjoy it.

Does anyone know how well medicare pays for certain PM&R procedures? For example, how much is a run-of-the-mill EMG/NCV study? How about joint injections?

Here is a salary survey of academic physicians done by the AAMC in 2004. The salary amounts include “total compensation” so that means all fringes, retirement, malpractice, paid time off, etc. Some highlights:

PM&R—Mean Salaries

Chair $204.2K
Professor $164.9K
Assoc. Prof. $149.4K
Asst. Prof. $162.9K
Instructor $154.6K

Neurology—Mean Salaries

Chair $261.0K
Professor $183.1K
Assoc. Prof. $154.4K
Asst. Prof. $130.6K
Instructor $ 83.3K

Anesthesiology—Mean Salaries

Chair $343.5K
Professor $280.6K
Assoc. Prof. $236 4K
Asst. Prof. $260.5K
Instructor $279.2K

Orthopaedic Surgery—Mean Salaries

Chair $350.5K
Professor $295.2K
Assoc. Prof. $242.1K
Asst. Prof. $242.7K
Instructor $164.4K

Source: Association of American Medical Colleges Data 2002-2003
Faculty with an M.D. or Equivalent Degree Receiving a Single, Fixed Salary

drusso said:
Here is a salary survey of academic physicians done by the AAMC in 2004. The salary amounts include “total compensation” so that means all fringes, retirement, malpractice, paid time off, etc. Some highlights:

PM&R—Mean Salaries

Chair $204.2K
Professor $164.9K
Assoc. Prof. $149.4K
Asst. Prof. $162.9K
Instructor $154.6K

Neurology—Mean Salaries

Chair $261.0K
Professor $183.1K
Assoc. Prof. $154.4K
Asst. Prof. $130.6K
Instructor $ 83.3K

Anesthesiology—Mean Salaries

Chair $343.5K
Professor $280.6K
Assoc. Prof. $236 4K
Asst. Prof. $260.5K
Instructor $279.2K

Orthopaedic Surgery—Mean Salaries

Chair $350.5K
Professor $295.2K
Assoc. Prof. $242.1K
Asst. Prof. $242.7K
Instructor $164.4K

Source: Association of American Medical Colleges Data 2002-2003
Faculty with an M.D. or Equivalent Degree Receiving a Single, Fixed Salary

OK, clearly I am missing something - why do associate professors make less than assistant professors?

paz5559 said:
OK, clearly I am missing something - why do associate professors make less than assistant professors?

I noticed that too. I'm not sure. I think that academic institutions might entice young faculty with slightly higher salaries, then perhaps productivity pressures or increased administrative obligations might actually result in lower compensation at the Associate Professor level.

If you are truly inspired to find out academic salaries visit an institutions Office of Business Affairs and ask for the Annual Report. It is not a secret document. Public institutions must provide this sort of information. While on an away PM&R rotation in the South I did this. The Chair of the PM&R department was paid 352K. This was actually more than the Chairs of Ortho, Anesthesiology, Opthomology, but not by much. He has been at the program quite a while >12 yrs. This also may give you an idea of your earning potential in private practice. Incidentally, I went to a physician relocation service site and put in my information to get to their job postings which was required. I guess I made it sound as though I was already practicing. I got a call from a recruiter later that same day. I told him I was a senior medical student. He talked to me for about 30 minutes about PM&R being a wide open field and that in a couple of years, when I finish residency that it would be even better. The job offer he was calling about was here in my home town. Large Ortho group in a town of 500K needed a second PM&R doc to handle outpatient referrals ie. injections, 8-5, no call, no weekends, 400K/yr. If money is your thing it is definetly out there to be made.

paz5559 said:

General Physiatry:
25th Percentile $155K
50th Percentile $192K
75th Percentile $273K
90th Percentile $357K
Mean $234K

25th Percentile 247K
50th Percentile 318K
75th Percentile 418K
90th Percentile 497K
Mean $335K

for comparison
General Orthopaedic Surgery:
25th Percentile 282K
50th Percentile 364K
75th Percentile 482K
90th Percentile 626K
Mean $404K

Do you have similar statistics for OCCUPATIONAL MEDICINE?

Unfortunately I don't have any data, but do have a colleague married to an occupational medicine physician. Occupational medicine used to make much money relative to the work since much of their work was covered under workman's comp. and/or the business that hired them had lots of money. Unfortunately, with the cost of healthcare rising so much and capitation, their reimbursement for what they do have also dropped. Unfortunately they do not do as many procedures as PM&R does (e.g. EMG, not as many peripheral joint injections, spinal injections, botox, phenol) so, in general, they cannot make as much money as PM&R with the same amount of patient contact time. However, reimbursements are very dependent on payor mix, so if you do many procedures and 40% of your patients are medicaid/uninsured/medicare, you won't get paid as much. However, back to what Novacek88 said back in 2004, DO WHAT YOU ENJOY BEST. I thought about dermatology/radiology/radiation oncology. I could have made more money per hour in those fields, but may have also committed suicide in a few years since I did not enjoy my rotations in them.

Here is the newer MGMA data on physiatry median salaries (based on 2004 data). Negotiation is key. Don't be afraid to ask for what you're worth. More break downs in attachment:

Geography/Respondents/Salary
East /41/$178,244
Midwest/77/$235,724
South / 30/$297,143
West / 94/ $191,488

Attachments

• Physiatry Incomes.doc
    62 KB · Views: 2,436
Curious. Any reasons why the median income of multi-specialty physiatrists in the West and South would be so much lower than their single-specialty counterparts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one know what setting do most pediatric physiatrists practice in? My bet is academia, but any private sector opportunities? Also, what is their salary range, if anyone has any idea? Thanks.

DocWiz said:
Does any one know what setting do most pediatric physiatrists practice in? My bet is academia, but any private sector opportunities? Also, what is their salary range, if anyone has any idea? Thanks.

i know a pediatric fellowship trained physiatrist in my area. This doctor works in private practice as is affliated with a major hospital. the doctor does the full spectrum of pediatric physiatry and makes around 200,000

strangedoc said:
Hi, I'm currently a PGY-1 surgical resident, and I am thinking of changing my career. I would like to go into interventional pain management. I know that there are a couple ways of going about it, but I don't know which is better. Should I go with PM&R or Anesthesia? If someone could let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Pros and Cons very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, this is a "sticky", it is meant to be a general information source for everyone visiting the forum. If you have a question, please post as separate thread. Please do not reply on this thread. thank you!

every time I mention to someone that I'm going into PMR.. they give me a "are you sure??" look.... why do you think that happens.

peduncle said:
every time I mention to someone that I'm going into PMR.. they give me a "are you sure??" look.... why do you think that happens.

don't worry about that. people can give "looks" for any specialty...

jsaul said:

thats true, but is there reason for their doubt?

peduncle said:
It is because every specialty has their own egos that cannot handle. Oftentimes, people comment from a baseless argument. In the end, you choose the field that you believe is the right fit. There was no absolute way that I could imagine that FP, IM, Gas, or Rad was a good fit for me :)

jsaul said:

This is so true. People can give you skeptical looks for any reason. In the end, who cares? Many people do not understand the full scope of PM&R either way, and when I tell them more, they usu are surprised (or don't pay any attention). I have definitely had people come up to me and say 'why didn't you choose ____ field instead?" Lots of times they are just curious.

In the end, you gotta do what's right for you. But status is not a good reason to enter a field. Sure it may be nice to be well recognized, and I feel PM&R rep is improving slowly as more people realize what it entails. But it is the lowest factor on my list. Personally, I take pride in the healthcare I deliver to pts along with the free time I'm afforded from a field that emphasizes a life outside of medicine.

My list runs like this
1. feeling that i'm making a difference
2. leisure time, work schedule
3. intellectual stim of work/resarch
4. salary
5. status among peers

Of course, everyone's list is different. If status is key, another field may be a good option.

:rolleyes:
novacek88 said:
Something that needs to be said is that many consider PM&R for the lifestyle. However, the ones earning in top 75% are not working "physiatry hours." Those physiatrists earning in excess of 300K are working their butt off. So you shouldn't do physiatry if you think you can make a lot of money and have the cush lifestyle. No one makes a lot of money without working a lot of hours(the exception is dermatology of course) You should do it because you like it because the top earners even in physiatry are working really hard. Do what you enjoy!

If you want to make a lot of money without working a lot of hours, radiology and anesthesiology might be better options for you. Physiatry is an exciting field and they are compensated well for the number of hours worked but the joke that PM&R stands for "Plenty of Money and Relaxation" is a misnomer. There are other fields like rads and anesthesiology that pay much higher. Contrary to popular opinion PM&R is not a $$$ field. Avoid it if you don't enjoy it.

very helpfull, thanks! it's something important to know

Any updates on PMR salaries?

Unfortunately I don't have any data, but do have a colleague married to an occupational medicine physician. Occupational medicine used to make much money relative to the work since much of their work was covered under workman's comp. and/or the business that hired them had lots of money. Unfortunately, with the cost of healthcare rising so much and capitation, their reimbursement for what they do have also dropped. Unfortunately they do not do as many procedures as PM&R does (e.g. EMG, not as many peripheral joint injections, spinal injections, botox, phenol) so, in general, they cannot make as much money as PM&R with the same amount of patient contact time. However, reimbursements are very dependent on payor mix, so if you do many procedures and 40% of your patients are medicaid/uninsured/medicare, you won't get paid as much. However, back to what Novacek88 said back in 2004, DO WHAT YOU ENJOY BEST. I thought about dermatology/radiology/radiation oncology. I could have made more money per hour in those fields, but may have also committed suicide in a few years since I did not enjoy my rotations in them.

I know this was originally posted eons ago, but my dad is an Occ med doc and recently informed me that he collected 99% of what he billed in 2006.

just started medical school and I have wanted to go into physiatry for about 3 years now, mainly because I worked in a chiropractic clinic for a while and became interested in rehab. I always thought that PM&R was not one of the higher-paying or well respected fields. In fact, I believed many other physicians thought it was a joke.

While being around chiropractors I realized how much money there was in that field and that profession is a joke(most of them are doing worker's comp and personal injury fraud, treating patients who were not injured and wanted a settlement for an auto injury, malingerers who did not want to return to work and live off disability, and the chiros who made beaucoup bucks).

I believed the 2 professions were similar and had my doubts about PM&R, but some of the patients I saw were truly injured and I enjoyed doing rehab on them. That is why I want to go into this field.

I would hate that some ppl would go into this field only to make money and work a 40 hour week. If that is what you want out of life then do not go to medical school. Instead, become a chiropractor and you will still be a "doctor" who earns large amounts of money. And that goes for radiology, anesthesiology, dermatology, etc. too.

just started medical school and I have wanted to go into physiatry for about 3 years now, mainly because I worked in a chiropractic clinic for a while and became interested in rehab. I always thought that PM&R was not one of the higher-paying or well respected fields. In fact, I believed many other physicians thought it was a joke.

While being around chiropractors I realized how much money there was in that field and that profession is a joke(most of them are doing worker's comp and personal injury fraud, treating patients who were not injured and wanted a settlement for an auto injury, malingerers who did not want to return to work and live off disability, and the chiros who made beaucoup bucks).

I believed the 2 professions were similar and had my doubts about PM&R, but some of the patients I saw were truly injured and I enjoyed doing rehab on them. That is why I want to go into this field.

I would hate that some ppl would go into this field only to make money and work a 40 hour week. If that is what you want out of life then do not go to medical school. Instead, become a chiropractor and you will still be a "doctor" who earns large amounts of money. And that goes for radiology, anesthesiology, dermatology, etc. too.
The following has recently been introduced into Congress, so hopefully the chiros will no-longer be able to misrepresent themselves:
The Healthcare Truth and Transparency Act of 2007, (H.R. 2260) introduced May 10 by Reps. John Sullivan, R-Okla. and Jim McDermott, D-Wash., protects patients by strengthening the Federal Trade Commission's enforcement against limited-licensed health care providers, who are not medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs), intervening when they make false or misleading misrepresentations about their qualifications, education and training.

in one of those email updates regarding medical policy / update in general I was suprised gratly that for 2007 data primary care providers reported avg incomes of 187,000

sounded high to me considering PMR is a subspecialty and some don't make that..... :confused:
sorry I don't have the link anymore. I read the email and deleted it.

in one of those email updates regarding medical policy / update in general I was suprised gratly that for 2007 data primary care providers reported avg incomes of 187,000

sounded high to me considering PMR is a subspecialty and some don't make that..... :confused:
sorry I don't have the link anymore. I read the email and deleted it.

Well I think that's good though, because Primary Care doctors should be better compensated than they have been in the past few years. :thumbup:

The median salaries of general PM&R and most of the primary care specialties are similar. PM&R still has higher earning potential. However, FPs in the south and midwest make an excellent living (even better than surgeons) which will skew the avg incomes towards 187K.

OK in the wise words of my grandmother...."fight nice kids". Spinebound had a bad day and was being unprofessional - please disregard him. Dr. Sartorius, best of luck in your search for the right medical field. If it is PMR, you will find the majority of docs very happy with their choice. You will also find others along the way that will criticize you for it....let it slide.....as cheesy as it sounds, be yourself and don't let anyone (in this forum or outside) change your mind.

First of all, allopathic/osteopathic medicine is not chiropractic medicine. Anyone who is considering chiropractic medicine isn't that bright. Medicine is evidence based. Chiropractic is based on unproven theories. Yes, chiropractic doctors claim they can diagnose, treat, etc better than real doctors (read it on their websites). When's the last time you saw a chiropractor attending to a trauma victim, performing neurosurgery, replacing hips, etc. Oh wait, they can't be on staff at any hospital :p. I mean if you believe their propaganda, they can heal everything with a few pops of your spine with their airpowered hammer. Sure they can make money if they see volume, but where do their patients come from? Attorneys, car accident solicitation. Come on, do you think that is real medicine? I do agree, chiropractic medicine has it's place. You have people who believe in that sort of stuff and don't see real doctors. Like the blue man on TV who drinks silver for his itchy skin...even though it's toxic. Does he seemed concerned? No because he is a bumpkin.

Don't be so focused on salary. If your smart you will make money in medicine. Choose something you like doing because you need to see volume. If you hate what you do, this is an impossibility. Your life will be miserable.

This is a sticky. It is meant to be a post that is full of useful information about PM&R for medical students and people considering becoming a physiatrist. The conversation is interesting but not very appropriate for a sticky. In the future, if you have a commentary, please start a new thread rather than add to the sticky. Thanks.

Anesthesiology: Pain Management

Since I can't figure out how to post this in table form, please note that the four numbers in each category represent Mean, 25th, Median, 75th, and 90th percentile, respectively:

Overall: $437,705 $337,500 $382,592 $500,000 $610,505

Eastern: $376,588 $337,500 $343,750 $489,286 $510,612

Midwest: $492,431 $341,417 $401,887 $576,078 $995,808

Southern: $480,190 $354,000 $354,000 $515,436 $933,231

Western: $416,908 $347,201 $395,523 $493,202 $663,947

just curious where that info came from.. Also curious how anesthesia pain compares to PM&R pain.. what are the differences in reimbursements? I bet this topic has been beat to death..

Since I can't figure out how to post this in table form, please note that the four numbers in each category represent Mean, 25th, Median, 75th, and 90th percentile, respectively:

j

just curious where that info came from.. Also curious how anesthesia pain compares to PM&R pain.. what are the differences in reimbursements?
As the tittle of the post states, the source is the MGMA 2007 Physician Compensation and Production Survey.

There is no data for PM&R: Pain as the MGMA does not break Pain out as a separate category within PM&R.

As the tittle of the post states, the source is the MGMA 2007 Physician Compensation and Production Survey.

There is no data for PM&R: Pain as the MGMA does not break Pain out as a separate category within PM&R.

oops.. sorry didn't even look at the title.. thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey amphaphb or anyone with the new 2007 MGMA salary info, can you post the physiatry salaries so that we can see what we are worth coming out of residency or what we hope to be to achieve with some elbow grease a couple of years out?

Does any one have the PM&R data, regualr PMR not pain.

Anesthesiology: Pain Management​

Been lurking around these boards for a while and I'm a little confused. Would PM&R with pain fellow make the same amount of Anes + pain fellow? I know that there are specific Anes fellowships, but are these figures accurate for PM&R guys who do a fellowship in pain? Sorry to ask a question about salaries (of all things), just curious.

OK, I have a question. There is a situation in many specialties, and especially PM&R and Pain, where there are large salary disparities between different regions of the country. As a rule it seems that physiatrists in the South and Midwest make tens or even hundreds of thousands more than physiatrists in the Northeast and West.

My question is: Why?? Are southern doctors seeing more patients per hour than northern doctors? Or are they somehow getting paid more per patient? Or are they working more hours? One of these statements has to be true, but which?

What can explain these geographical disparities?

OK, I have a question. There is a situation in many specialties, and especially PM&R and Pain, where there are large salary disparities between different regions of the country. As a rule it seems that physiatrists in the South and Midwest make tens or even hundreds of thousands more than physiatrists in the Northeast and West.

My question is: Why?? Are southern doctors seeing more patients per hour than northern doctors? Or are they somehow getting paid more per patient? Or are they working more hours? One of these statements has to be true, but which?

What can explain these geographical disparities?

I really don't have much authority on this subject, but I think a general explanation is the density of physician population. If you live in a more rural area (like certain areas of the south or mid-west) and are the only Pain Management (for example) doctor within 200 miles, you are going to see a huge variety and number of patients. Now, compare that to an area in the west like LA where there are a ton of doctors in a bunch of different, very specific specialties, and the payout/case load is going to be very spread out. It's kinda like how GPs in the mid-west make more because they handle everyone in the city and mix in different things like OB, derm, etc. However, in LA there would be 20 people in one specific area you could see for GP, OB, or derm. This is general ... but I think it sheds some light.

*Also, sorry for posting in a sticky. Please remove this post if it detracts from the topic.

According to what the PM&R residency director at UToledoCOM says the higher pay in the south is due to the fact that there is a higher elderly population in the south. Not many doctors have jumped on this as of yet as can be seen from the payout disparity. but dont quote me...or him...

I really don't have much authority on this
subject, but I think a general explanation is the density of physician population. If you live in a more rural area (like certain areas of the south or mid-west) and are the only Pain Management (for example) doctor within 200 miles, you are going to see a huge variety and number of patients. Now, compare that to an area in the west like LA where there are a ton of doctors in a bunch of different, very specific specialties, and the payout/case load is going to be very spread out. It's kinda like how GPs in the mid-west make more because they handle everyone in the city and mix in different things like OB, derm, etc. However, in LA there would be 20 people in one specific area you could see for GP, OB, or derm. This is general ... but I think it sheds some light.

*Also, sorry for posting in a sticky. Please remove this post if it detracts from the topic.

According to what the PM&R residency director at UToledoCOM says the higher pay in the south is due to the fact that there is a higher elderly population in the south. Not many doctors have jumped on this as of yet as can be seen from the payout disparity. but don't quote me...or him...
Far be it from me to disagree with an academic, what with his vast experience in obtaining reimbursement, but the largest variable between regions is managed care penetrance into individual markets. The less managed care, the higher your region's reimbursement, and vice versa. Your staff's analysis is flawed, as an elderly population is largely covered by Medicare, which is generally the worst payor, other than Medicaid.

The four numbers in each category represent 25th, 50th, 75th, and 90th percentile, respectively:

2007 MGMA: $176,300, $221,000, $313,300, $482,100
2007 AMGA:
$175,800, $220,000, $250,200, $285,000
2006 MGMA: $179,000, $226,100, $331,200, $524,200
2006 AMGA:
$167,600, $207,000, $239,100, $265,100

Southern Region (no, I don't have the other regions, before you ask):

2007 MGMA: $154,800, $230,400, $359,700, $409,300
2007 AMGA
: $158,800, $218,900, $252,300, $330,600
2006 MGMA: $229,900, $286,400, $399,600, $509,600
2006 AMGA
: $160,000, $200,900, $242,700. $299,500

Any idea what differences in the survey methodologies may be causing the discrepancies seen between the two surveys at the 75th and 90th percentiles?

Hi,
I found this thread to be interesting. By any chance, Does anybody how a Physicain assistant are making this field? Personal experience (friend, your own PA, etc...)