Philly GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillygal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on GPRs in philly and surrounding areas?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an attending at Einstein (not weekly faculty at this time; several times a 'semester') so I am biased but also have deep knowledge of the GPR program. I was a resident there myself as well.

Einstein is a strong and vibrant program. It is well-rounded in that oral surgery, periodontics, endodontics and especially implant dentistry are all covered didactically and there is clinical experience in these areas as well. By implants I mean surgery and restoration. As an example, one two-year resident recently placed north of fifty implants in her time there.

In addition to the GPR, Einstein has endodontic and orthodontic residencies--two of the finest in the nation. Thus, there is constant exchange of ideas between these specialties and the GPR residents; it's just a walk down the hall to have instant access to residents and attendings. (Also worthy of note: the endo and ortho residents are paid as hospital residents, instead of paying exorbitant tuition to specialty programs in dental schools.)

There is OR experience and there are out-of-dental-realm hospital rotations. Einstein is a one-year GPR for about 6 residents, and there are 2 positions for second-year chief residents.

One important point--residents who attend the Einstein GPR will work hard. In my time there I worked hard and loved every minute of it; I do perceive that the workload is much increased over the years. If you want to pack a lot of learning into a dense, challenging year, then this is a fine place to do it.

Phillygal, feel free to PM me with detailed questions or if you want to see the place before formal interviews; I can arrange that.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Dr. @DentinBond, I have one question since next year I would like to apply to Albert Einstein Medical Center GPR. What's the experience of this program with international applicants?

I have a very close friend from dental school, who recently started as a part time attending for this GPR. He summed up the program very simply: it has its flaws like any program but the residents get a lot of clinical experience in all aspects of dentistry. He plans on continuing to work there part time. Personally, the friend/colleague I am talking about (without mentioning his name) is one of the best clinicians I know and works there one day a week (his day off) because he enjoys teaching and the environment this program fosters. That is a good indication about the program.