Philippines Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a Fil-Am from the University of Florida and I'll be graduating in May 2016. Does anyone know how the application process there works? Will they take the MCAT in replace of the NMAT? Also, what are the average GPA and MCAT scores for UP and UST?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there. Congrats to you. I'm also a Fil-Am from Chicago. I went back to the Philippines for med school and got my MD from FEU in 1988. So why am I on this thread? My son just graduated from U of Wisconsin-Madison and is in the same situation as I was 25 years ago. I am helping him look into his options in the Philippines. Like you and everyone else hoping to get that MD degree from the Philippines, I wish you only the best AND it can be done!!! Trust me.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at some medical schools in the Philippines, They require 1)NMAT (only) 2)completing an undergraduate degree.
I'm in the same boat as you... I'll be graduating in May 2016 at UC Berkeley and I am looking at my options in the Philippines and possibly go there right after my graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they will not accept MCAT scores as replacement for NMAT.

As for GPAs and NMATs, UP is tougher because it's where most geniuses go. iirc, UST NMAT cutoff is 85. I don't recall if UP has a cutoff, but practically everyone in there is most likely a 90+. Grades wise, UST has a pretty broad range of magna cum laudes, cum laudes, and those with GPAs a little lower than that. UP is chock full of summas, magnas and cums lol. There are always exceptions, but that's generally how it is.

The NMAT is a national requirement, no exceptions. Philippines medical schools are excellent, but beware- you will not be allowed to practice in the Philippines unless you have PI citizenship and the number of US graduates if you're applying in the US will be nearly equal to the number of residency slots in 2020. If you go to a US MD or DO school, your chances of landing a residency will be literally ten times greater, simply because if how difficult IMGs have it.

UP is pretty much for geniuses and/or local students, from what I've heard only a handful (if that) of international students get accepted there.

NMAT is the MCAT of the Philippines, can't get around that. For UST the cutoff is supposedly 80-85, but it feels like they're not rigid on that. They administer the NMAT in Los Angeles in November if that helps.

Hi! I'm also Filipino and a first year PA student from US. I also want to go to med school after my four-year program. As I've read above, you consider attending med schools in the Philippines. I just want to know the reason why, aside from the fact that the tuition in the PH is way cheaper than in the US, especially if you decide to practice medicine back in the US. Won't it be easier to practice in the US if you attended med school in the US? Or is it better to attend med schools in the PH than in the US as long as you take the USMLE?

Also, just in case you're not aware, UP demands its students to complete a return service agreement (RSA) by serving the country for two to x years after graduation.

I am hoping for your replies. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user