Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope so too!! Hoping for the best for all of us waitlisted folks...

This might be a stupid question but... May 1st is the multiple deposit deadline for MD schools AKA people with multiple MD deposits will need to select just one and turn down offers at other MD schools. This doesn't have anything to do with DO schools though, right? Like theoretically, someone could be holding an MD spot but also a DO spot at PCOM.. there aren't any rules against that as far as I know. So my question is, how will May 1st result in waitlist movement at DO schools?
I think if someone gives up their spot at an MD, MD schools start WL movement and students will give up DO seats if they have them.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted today after DD, interviewed late March so not surprised

I think if someone gives up their spot at an MD, MD schools start WL movement and students will give up DO seats if they have them.

Ok that makes sense, thanks! here's to hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed late January, DD in feb. the letter said I would hear by April 26 at the very latest but still haven't gotten anything in the mail and no portal change. I'm thinking maybe today but I'm not sure if this is good or bad!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed late January, DD in feb. the letter said I would hear by April 26 at the very latest but still haven't gotten anything in the mail and no portal change. I'm thinking maybe today but I'm not sure if this is good or bad!

I'm in the same boat. Interviewed Early Feb, DD about a week after and the letter said I'd hear back by April 26 but so far nothing. Fingers crossed

Does anyone know the accepted students 2021 facebook page?

I've been pretty pessimistic these past few days. Maybe it's just the process, since graduation, since starting to study for the mcat, since the day the portal opened up, we've been painstakingly putting our lives on hold for a decision. Just wanted to apologize to everyone for my pessimism. We're all in this together and I hope everyone finds a good place.

Reactions: 5 users
Hope you guys get accepted or get off the WL because I'll be attending PCOM and I'm pretty awesome to be classmates with!

Reactions: 7 users
So I got waitlisted in March and I haven't heard from PCOM even though the DD said April 26. I'm wondering if the waitlist was my decision. Thoughts?

So I got waitlisted in March and I haven't heard from PCOM even though the DD said April 26. I'm wondering if the waitlist was my decision. Thoughts?

Yes the waitlist is your current decision and waitlisters could be accepted up until early August I believe. Then once they start classes I'm sure they'll send people the "Thank you for your interest, but..." email. So people on the waitlist can be accepted any time from now until then.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else with DD status not hear anything this week?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the class size entering this year? 250+ seems kind of insane

Can anyone tell us (DD and waitlist folks) how many students are on the 2021 Facebook class page? Just want to get a rough estimate of available spots.

I kept doing that but you can't really judge cuz the previous years Facebook pages has like 500-700 members

FB group likely has friends/families of accepted students

A lot of the people on that page are current PCOM students. You should be able to see everyone on the members list even if you're not part of the group!

JUST got my waitlist letter after DD in March. I'm all the way out in WA state, so it took a while

I just opened my waitlist letter today. Letter was dated 4/24. I REALLY hope there is a lot of waitlist movement this year, I would love to head out to PCOM!

Hey everyone! I am applying this week for next cycle. Was wondering your thoughts on my stats. I am a graduate student in physiology. I am non-trad with 8000 hours in the legal field, 500 hours in family med, and 4.0 in 2 year grad program. Should I apply here?
Undergrad 3.6
Grad.: 4.0 (all science)
Science: 3.9
Non-Science: 3.7
MCAT: 499-----DEF WEAKEST ELEMENT---don't want to retake. Most DO schools ive talked to dont have an issue with my score. I interviewed at MD schools last year with this score but it depends on the school.

Hey everyone! I am applying this week for next cycle. Was wondering your thoughts on my stats. I am a graduate student in physiology. I am non-trad with 8000 hours in the legal field, 500 hours in family med, and 4.0 in 2 year grad program. Should I apply here?
Undergrad 3.6
Grad.: 4.0 (all science)
Science: 3.9
Non-Science: 3.7
MCAT: 499-----DEF WEAKEST ELEMENT---don't want to retake. Most DO schools ive talked to dont have an issue with my score. I interviewed at MD schools last year with this score but it depends on the school.
The MCAT is a little low and could be a drawback if you're reapplying and schools don't see much of a change in your numbers. But if you are doing other things like research and volunteer, you should be ok.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point in time, I am thinking more DO than MD. This will be my first time applying DO. Do you know which DO schools put heavy focus on MCAT? I met with VCOM and Campbell and they indicated my GPA numbers would pretty much negate my MCAT.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point in time, I am thinking more DO than MD. This will be my first time applying DO. Do you know which DO schools put heavy focus on MCAT? I met with VCOM and Campbell and they indicated my GPA numbers would pretty much negate my MCAT.
NYCOM is definitely into numbers and I think PCOM as well but not as much as NYCOM. Most of who I know who go to either got at least a 28 or now around a 504 MCAT.

NYCOM is definitely into numbers and I think PCOM as well but not as much as NYCOM. Most of who I know who go to either got at least a 28 or now around a 504 MCAT.
This is really good info. I will take NYCOM off my list.

Got my waitlist letter the other day after getting a delayed decision a few weeks ago. Won't be accepting a spot on there. Lame that all of us who interviewed after February were basically just interviewing for a spot on the WL. Wouldn't have even bothered going had I known. Good luck everyone.

Got my waitlist letter the other day after getting a delayed decision a few weeks ago. Won't be accepting a spot on there. Lame that all of us who interviewed after February were basically just interviewing for a spot on the WL. Wouldn't have even bothered going had I known. Good luck everyone.
Can confirm this is false. I interviewed on one of the last days in late March, got a delayed decision, then was accepted a week ago. Not rubbing it in, just letting you know that late interview did not mean automatic wait list

Can confirm this is false. I interviewed on one of the last days in late March, got a delayed decision, then was accepted a week ago. Not rubbing it in, just letting you know that late interview did not mean automatic wait list
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I interviewed in late march and was WL end of April. I would really like to go to PCOM and am just trying to gauge my chances of getting accepted.

does anyone know the date orientation starts and classes start? i'm on the waitlist but need to know how long I might need to wait to have a final answer....

does anyone know the date orientation starts and classes start? i'm on the waitlist but need to know how long I might need to wait to have a final answer....

Aug 2nd

Thanks for confirming. One acceptance out of many waitlists. Either way, happy with where I got in. Won't be taking up a spot on the waitlist and hope someone else gets a chance to get in.

Actually I don't think we've had a single acceptance off the waitlist yet. I think only those who were DD got an acceptance

Hopefully we start hearing next week about WL movement! Seems to be the trend from last year's thread! Keep us posted if you get pulled off of the WL!

Reactions: 1 users
Actually I don't think we've had a single acceptance off the waitlist yet. I think only those who were DD got an acceptance

Hopefully we start hearing next week about WL movement! Seems to be the trend from last year's thread! Keep us posted if you get pulled off of the WL!

Thank you for your inputs! I feel like I can breathe again (sort of)..

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for confirming. One acceptance out of many waitlists. Either way, happy with where I got in. Won't be taking up a spot on the waitlist and hope someone else gets a chance to get in.
same interviewed March tenth, dd, then accepted

Just received an "Admissions cycle is complete" email from the school. They did mention that they were excited I was joining the family at the Georgia campus though.

Complete in July for this campus

Reactions: 2 users
Why did i just get emailed a request for seat deposit of $1750 by today if I didnt even know I was accepted this whole time?