Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten accepted without noticing a portal change first?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview January...
DD in February...

ACCEPTANCE YESTERDAY!!

I never received a link to the Portal; received a snail mail letter. I checked Portal for the deposit link; the link was there but doesn't seem to be active.
Where you waitlisted after the DD?

Members don't see this ad :)
COME ONE JUST GIVE ME THE IM HALDOL/ATIVAN/BENADRYL knockout cocktail, i can't take the wait anymore!

Reactions: 4 users
Tell me about it... I keep reading updates, but I don't see any link and haven't gotten any mail.. im getting antsy.. I want to find out :(
I still have a DD letter. No waitlist or acceptance or rejection.
God damn it, if i get WL, i'll lose all hope.

On sunday, I even had a chinese fortune cookie say my hard work will pay off this week.

I still have a DD letter. No waitlist or acceptance or rejection.
God damn it, if i get WL, i'll lose all hope.

On sunday, I even had a chinese fortune cookie say my hard work will pay off this week.
When did you interview?

Has anyone gotten accepted without noticing a portal change first?

I did. When I checked Portal yesterday morning, there was no link. I received my letter yesterday afternoon (Philly Resident). When I checked Portal this morning, I saw the link.

It seems as if they are going through the DDs first and will get to those on the waitlist soon. Hang in there guys!

Hang tight ppl, traffic day is coming up! If students who are accepted at multiple schools are holding multiple seats, they will be forced to give up all but one. This may open up more slots soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well PCOMs deposit was due April 15 so anyone who didn't do it had their apps withdrawn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Could people have still paid the deposit and then decide to back out later if they were WL at a different school they wanted to go to? I'm just trying to find the slightest shred of hope to cling on to :p

Could people have still paid the deposit and then decide to back out later if they were WL at a different school they wanted to go to? I'm just trying to find the slightest shred of hope to cling on to :p

Some years see a lot of movement in July. People get accepted up through the first day of school.

NOOOOO!!

NOOO FRICKING MAIL today!
I'm crossing every single digit and my thumbs!

Doing the no waitlist prayer!
I kid you not, I went to check my mailbox three times within the span of 3 hours during the peak mail delivery hours... I tried calling, but got the voicemail

NOOOOO!!

NOOO FRICKING MAIL today!
I'm crossing every single digit and my thumbs!

Doing the no waitlist prayer!
Dude, calm down. Acceptances go out by mail, too. And try to let us waitlisters feel like there's some glimmer of hope that the WL doesn't doom us! It's not a rejection. yet.

I'm sure there are ppl who pay the second deposit of $1500 and withdraw still. PCOM is a competitive program and many students accepted here probably have MD apps in the works as well, probably waitlists. If they get pulled in they might drop the seat for the MD acceptance.

Hang tight ppl, traffic day is coming up! If students who are accepted at multiple schools are holding multiple seats, they will be forced to give up all but one. This may open up more slots soon!

when is the date for this?

Received admissions acceptance letter yesterday in the mail after delayed decision in early March. I forgot to check my mail until 9:30pm and then saw the big blue envelope. I am so pumped! Thank you PCOM for this opportunity :) Good luck to everyone waiting to hear. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlist today after DD in March. Still trying to be positive, this is my dream school!

April 30, but effectively May 1, I think.[/QUO
Received admissions acceptance letter yesterday in the mail after delayed decision in early March. I forgot to check my mail until 9:30pm and then saw the big blue envelope. I am so pumped! Thank you PCOM for this opportunity :) Good luck to everyone waiting to hear. Hang in there!

Congratulations!! I am staying positive and hoping to hear back soon as well. maybe tomorrow?

Yep. We haven't even hit traffic day yet. Here's to plenty of waitlist movement this year!

You think so? I'm on two waitlists and already started planning for the worse. Already asking my letter writers to resend letters with updates and signed up to take the MCAT again and reapply for next cycle. Would be very nice though if I got pulled off one of these and save me the hassle of going through the process again lol

I just checked my mail for the 4th time today. Waitlisted :( Kind of disheartened, not going to lie. This is my top school choice.

You think so? I'm on two waitlists and already started planning for the worse. Already asking my letter writers to resend letters with updates and signed up to take the MCAT again and reapply for next cycle. Would be very nice though if I got pulled off one of these and save me the hassle of going through the process again lol

I just checked my mail for the 4th time today. Waitlisted :( Kind of disheartened, not going to lie. This is my top school choice.
FutureDoC, I definitely think there's a chance. I'm not counting on it, though, you know? I'm still going to work on bringing new apps together, but I'm not writing this cycle off.

At the very least, tomorrow I'll think there's a chance. Today I'm feeling super bummed. But waitlist movement is real, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!

So I have a question and this might sound a bit stupid but by "portal" does everyone mean the application summary thing we got a link to or is it something else? I got my DD and was waiting to hear back sometime this week till I saw this being brought up. I wasn't even aware that we could see our decisions online and when I contacted the admissions department they just told me to wait for the snail mail.

So I have a question and this might sound a bit stupid but by "portal" does everyone mean the application summary thing we got a link to or is it something else? I got my DD and was waiting to hear back sometime this week till I saw this being brought up. I wasn't even aware that we could see our decisions online and when I contacted the admissions department they just told me to wait for the snail mail.
Yea it's the application summary page that lists when documents and payments were received.

Yea it's the application summary page that lists when documents and payments were received.
Thanks! I was trying to figure that out since I started hearing about it. Guess snail mail it is then

Looks like I have a long time to wait. Sound like most of their acceptance are people who interviewed in Jan and Feb. I interviewed in March and was wait listed in April. So the wait continues :arghh:

I also interviewed in January, received delayed decision in February, and haven't heard anything since. UGHHHHH this is so frustrating :(

I interviewed in late March and got my WL yesterday, but I'm also in the Philly area so I might've gotten it quick.

I don't know how they do their waitlist. My general assumption is that there's some unknowable combo of algorithms, ratings, and personal choices. Or maybe magic. Who knows. I'll just be over here looking for metaphysical intervention with SDNers past.

:diebanana:= me making ritual sacrifices to whatever gods control the fate of waitlisted medical school applicants. Will engage in idolatry and/or blasphemy for med school acceptances.

Looks like I have a long time to wait. Sound like most of their acceptance are people who interviewed in Jan and Feb. I interviewed in March and was wait listed in April. So the wait continues :arghh:
Same except interviewed in October....talk about a long wait

Got the waitlist letter today. Interviewed Feb. and DD in March

Just spoke with someone from admission. I was told that the committee can pick anyone they want from either list (wait list or DD list). There is no order. The meet they choose!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got waitlist letter. Interviewed January, DD February. I wonder what are the chances of getting off the waitlist this year....??? :(
Does anyone know how many people are put on the wait list?

Just got waitlist letter. Interviewed January, DD February. I wonder what are the chances of getting off the waitlist this year....??? :(
Does anyone know how many people are put on the wait list?
Not sure how many are on the WL but I'm hopeful we will see much WL movement after May 1st!

I interviewed early Feb, DD mid Feb and WL mid March. Still waiting to hear this week but realistically will hope for news after May 1st. Hang in there!

Same except interviewed in October....talk about a long wait

Trust me I know exactly how you feel. Interviewed early/mid october, DD in November and waitlisted in March. This wait seems like its been an eternity...

Not sure how many are on the WL but I'm hopeful we will see much WL movement after May 1st!

I interviewed early Feb, DD mid Feb and WL mid March. Still waiting to hear this week but realistically will hope for news after May 1st. Hang in there!

I hope so too!! Hoping for the best for all of us waitlisted folks...

This might be a stupid question but... May 1st is the multiple deposit deadline for MD schools AKA people with multiple MD deposits will need to select just one and turn down offers at other MD schools. This doesn't have anything to do with DO schools though, right? Like theoretically, someone could be holding an MD spot but also a DO spot at PCOM.. there aren't any rules against that as far as I know. So my question is, how will May 1st result in waitlist movement at DO schools?