Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is Nucleus undergoing maintenance? I'm having issues connecting. Am I the only one?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think we will hear another round of acceptances tomorrow/this week?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think we will hear another round of acceptances tomorrow/this week?

I definitely think so! Last known deposit deadline was on Wednesday last week. So we should be hearing by the end of this week!

Reactions: 2 users
I noticed someone in the Facebook group mention that there are clicker quizzes sometimes. Can any M2's confirm if this is true?

So I found out for sure about the laptop loan situation if anyone is/will be in a similar situation. I will first have to buy the laptop and then send the reciept and a COA increase form to financial aid. They will increase the total loan award up to 1200

I know this post is several months old but where did you get the COA increase form from? Also, do you think it's too late to apply for an increase considering the fact that all of my awards have been accepted? I can't seem to find a laptop that meets all of the requirements in my price bracket.

I know this post is several months old but where did you get the COA increase form from? Also, do you think it's too late to apply for an increase considering the fact that all of my awards have been accepted? I can't seem to find a laptop that meets all of the requirements in my price bracket.
There is no laptop in that price bracket with the specs they require honestly lol ! You will only recieve their set amount regardless of what you spend. You will have to cover the rest :(. I haven't purchased my computer yet and I would expect them to still increase the COA as they did not say I had to get it in at a certain time. I emailed the financial aid office and they forwarded me the specific form for the computer!

If anybody is looking for the following books please let me know. I will be starting residency in July and will no longer be needing the following. Feel free to make me an offer because these are going on a firesale!

Term 1
-Netters Atlas 5th edition, BRS gross anatomy 7th edition, Rohen Color atlas 7th edition

Term 2
-BRS micro and immunology 5th edition
-BRS path 5th edition

Misc
-Goljan Rapid Review Path 4th edition (HY for USMLE Step 1)
-USMLE roadmap neuroscience 2nd edition (excellent book)
-Saverse OMT REVIEW 3rd edition (HY review for comlex level 1)
-Guyton and Hall Medical physio 12 edition

Also if anybody is looking for quiet, safe apartment close to GA-PCOM check out Highlands at Sugarloaf. I have been living here for a couple of years and had no issues. Referral is $500.00 and I would be willingly to split it with you guys.

There is no laptop in that price bracket with the specs they require honestly lol ! You will only recieve their set amount regardless of what you spend. You will have to cover the rest :(. I haven't purchased my computer yet and I would expect them to still increase the COA as they did not say I had to get it in at a certain time. I emailed the financial aid office and they forwarded me the specific form for the computer!

Are you waiting until august to buy a computer? I'm debating doing the same thing.

Are you waiting until august to buy a computer? I'm debating doing the same thing.
I am waiting a bit longer! I am still undecided on which computer to buy and I also don't feel like putting the entire amount on my credit card yet! We wouldn't get the computer loan money until mid August or September anyway and that interest. :eek:

I am waiting a bit longer! I am still undecided on which computer to buy and I also don't feel like putting the entire amount on my credit card yet! We wouldn't get the computer loan money until mid August or September anyway and that interest. :eek:
Yeah i'm definitely getting a MacBook pro (apple user for years). So i'll probably take advantage of a back to school sale in august.

Yeah i'm definitely getting a MacBook pro (apple user for years). So i'll probably take advantage of a back to school sale in august.
ugh I dislike apple ;) but I am considering crossing over to the dark side for a MacBook pro. Still unsure as I REALLY wanted the rumored surface book 2 but since it will never make a grand entrance into the world (at least not before we start school) I will have to figure something else out! I swear I have been flip flopping on this decision for months and I need to just buy something and get it over with. Hopefully they have good sales this year!

On another note, I still haven't gotten confirmation that they have received my background check. Hopefully I get the email soon so I can stop worrying about it. :hungover:

ugh I dislike apple ;) but I am considering crossing over to the dark side for a MacBook pro. Still unsure as I REALLY wanted the rumored surface book 2 but since it will never make a grand entrance into the world (at least not before we start school) I will have to figure something else out! I swear I have been flip flopping on this decision for months and I need to just buy something and get it over with. Hopefully they have good sales this year!

On another note, I still haven't gotten confirmation that they have received my background check. Hopefully I get the email soon so I can stop worrying about it. :hungover:
My background check has been complete for almost 2 weeks and they still haven't "received" it. It boggles the mind how something electronically submitted automatically by PreCheck once complete could not have been received...

Members don't see this ad :)

I just bought the new MacBook Pro without the touch bar and I love it!! It is super nice and I got it on sale for 200 dollars off plus 100 off for Apple care so it really wasn't terrible!

Don't we have to have laptops for orientation?

Hey waitlisters, please update the forum if there is any good news today! I know we are all anxiously waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how financial aid works if you're accepted off the waitlist really late? I'm still hanging out with bated breath... but want to make sure I'm prepping for whatever I need to do. If I'm not mistaken when I tried to submit FAFSA you had to indicate a school, which I can't do yet.

Does anyone know how financial aid works if you're accepted off the waitlist really late? I'm still hanging out with bated breath... but want to make sure I'm prepping for whatever I need to do. If I'm not mistaken when I tried to submit FAFSA you had to indicate a school, which I can't do yet.

You can indicate multiple schools on FAFSA, just indicate PCOM and any other schools you are waitlisted at. You can indicate up to 10 schools.

Also to everyone talking about the laptop thing... I haven't heard anything about sending in a receipt and all of that. You are allowed to take out as much as you want in loans up until the limit and you don't have to indicate what the funding is for. You will not be getting your disbursement until after classes start, unfortunately, but I know that I took advantage of tax free weekend plus student discount for my MacBook from Best Buy and I paid less than $1000 for it!

When do things get started for the first years? i.e. orientation, anything prior to that? I believe classes start on Aug. 14th, but beyond that I don't think anything is published to non-accepted students.

When do things get started for the first years? i.e. orientation, anything prior to that? I believe classes start on Aug. 14th, but beyond that I don't think anything is published to non-accepted students.

June 14th for the DO Welcome luncheon. As for Orientation, it's from August 7-11th. Attached is the tentative schedule.

Attachments

• 20170605_130855.png
    20170605_130855.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 123
Hey guys do y'all know when we get our loan money released to us?

I got a portal update today!!!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I would really love to but I can't. Because of work, the only chance I had of going up there was this past weekend, which I did to rent an apartment.

Anybody going to the Accepted Students Luncheon next week?
I am going! Is everyone wearing buisness casual clothes lol? I have nothing to wear and seriously need to shop before classes start.. I dont think they would appreciate marvel t-shirts and jeans every day. :rolleyes:

For anyone still on the waitlist. If you wanted to know my deposit is due June 14. Also, I know this question was asked before I don't know if any cares but I sent in a letter of interest before I got an interview and a letter of intent after my interview.

Any current students remember what time orientation ended each day?

Do you guys think there is still hope for acceptance or should I submit my application for next cycle already? I just don't want to waste the money to reapply and then end up getting accepted. Should I wait til the beginning of aug or just submit it now since the earlier the better? Thanks!

Do you guys think there is still hope for acceptance or should I submit my application for next cycle already? I just don't want to waste the money to reapply and then end up getting accepted. Should I wait til the beginning of aug or just submit it now since the earlier the better? Thanks!

Earlier the better is my MO. However, I do believe there is honestly still hope. It's not too late until orientation in my opinion. But I feel ya on not wanting to spend the money if you end up accepted. I do feel like it's a giant cash grab in that regard, but perhaps--and forgive me if I'm naive with the whole process--seeing you submit the primary once again would show them that you're devoted to matriculating. Maybe that would kinda boost your chances in some way, but once again that's just speculation so take that with a grain of salt. I'd say the best plan of action is to wait till July to see if anything happens, and if not, then resubmit immediately. You can always start the app and not end up sending it if you're graced with an acceptance. Hope I could help in some way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Its the time of the year where you need to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Honestly it might be best for you to take a gap between application cycles depending on your situation. Improve your GPA/MCAT/ECs whatever your weak point is.

Earlier the better is my MO. However, I do believe there is honestly still hope. It's not too late until orientation in my opinion. But I feel ya on not wanting to spend the money if you end up accepted. I do feel like it's a giant cash grab in that regard, but perhaps--and forgive me if I'm naive with the whole process--seeing you submit the primary once again would show them that you're devoted to matriculating. Maybe that would kinda boost your chances in some way, but once again that's just speculation so take that with a grain of salt. I'd say the best plan of action is to wait till July to see if anything happens, and if not, then resubmit immediately. You can always start the app and not end up sending it if you're graced with an acceptance. Hope I could help in some way!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Okay thank you! Yea I think I'll wait until July to submit it. I have pretty much everything else ready to go for it. Thanks for your input!

Its the time of the year where you need to hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Honestly it might be best for you to take a gap between application cycles depending on your situation. Improve your GPA/MCAT/ECs whatever your weak point is.
I've already been out of college for a year so I'm planning on applying again if I don't get in this time. I only applied to 3 schools last cycle so next cycle I'll apply to a lot more. I've been working on improving my application since January. I'm working towards a masters degree in public health and I'm currently working in research. So hopefully those help me out a bit! Thanks for your input! I appreciate it :)

Did everyone get the email that insurance verification is due this Friday?
I am not insured and not under my parent's plan.. any idea where to look for affordable insurance?

Accepted off the WL!

EDIT: Deposit link appeared

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users

I know someone who reapplied for the following year only to be accepted off the waitlist during orientation.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a screen for cumulative GPA at this school? I actually emailed the school, but I guess I didn't explain my question well enough...haha
I'm basically asking if there is a strict minimum cGPA in order to not waste money applying. :) Thanks!

Also, does the Nucleus access come by email or regular mail?

Last edited by a moderator: