PhD to MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread for the folks who have definitively decided to take this crazy ride! Plus, I'm tired of explaining to folks why both degrees and I'm hoping to commiserate with other (borderline insane) nontrads like me! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thought I'd start a thread for the folks who have definitively decided to take this crazy ride! Plus, I'm tired of explaining to folks why both degrees and I'm hoping to commiserate with other (borderline insane) nontrads like me! :)

Just popping in to say hello, how's the journey going? I too did the same, and further along the track and am applying for R01 stage of things. It's been a daunting, difficult, sometimes surprisingly successful and worthwhile journey so far.

Are you going traditional PhD to MD-only, or are you in a PhD program applying for transfer into MD-PhD? Either way, hello!

Members don't see this ad :)
TheTao (and anyone else in the same boat), how far along in your PhD are you and how are you going about this transition?

I'm just starting my second year in the PhD program and am applying ED to the MD program at the same institution (with blessings from mentor and program director) with a plan laterally transfer from MD to MD/PhD during MS1 or MS2.

I'm going into my 5th year. I'll be defending by June (unless this cycle doesn't go well, then I'll take a couple extra months to make a new life plan), then I'll be going MD only. My institution is not receptive to PhD to MD-PhD transfers, hence taking the most difficult route humanly possible.