PhD in social work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

After getting assistance from this crew as I progressed through my MSW (and I thank you all), I am after a long hiatus returning to this board for a new question about a new journey!

I'm considering a PhD in social work. I found quite a few part time PhD programs that could be completed while working on the side. However, they are not funded as the lowest priced one is about 60k while the highest is closer to 80k. There is a balance of programs on the in between.

I'd love to hear feedback. My reasoning is as follows:

A. I can't shake the idea of wanting to further identify as a social worker. I know the MSW is technically considered the terminal degree but right now I feel like you only live once and that closure of knowing that I received the highest possible degree in my field is something that is valuable to me. I've tried to ignore this pull but I can't. I'm passionate about this field and amd truly very attracted to this idea.

B. I want to get faculty jobs at a four year college. I do know this is possible with an MSW but I keep finding that a PhD is much more preferred.

What are your guys thoughts? is this a mistake?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All!

After getting assistance from this crew as I progressed through my MSW (and I thank you all), I am after a long hiatus returning to this board for a new question about a new journey!

I'm considering a PhD in social work. I found quite a few part time PhD programs that could be completed while working on the side. However, they are not funded as the lowest priced one is about 60k while the highest is closer to 80k. There is a balance of programs on the in between.

I'd love to hear feedback. My reasoning is as follows:

A. I can't shake the idea of wanting to further identify as a social worker. I know the MSW is technically considered the terminal degree but right now I feel like you only live once and that closure of knowing that I received the highest possible degree in my field is something that is valuable to me. I've tried to ignore this pull but I can't. I'm passionate about this field and amd truly very attracted to this idea.

B. I want to get faculty jobs at a four year college. I do know this is possible with an MSW but I keep finding that a PhD is much more preferred.

What are your guys thoughts? is this a mistake?
Just to give you a little background, I'm an LCSW finishing my last year in a DSW program. I know you provided some rationale for the PhD, but I would think even harder. What makes you attracted to an academic career? The other caution I would express is that so many people start PhD programs and don't finish. Some of them start without a real sense of what they're getting into. That can be especially problematic if you aren't funded because you leave without much to show for it and with the added debt. If you have experience in research and teaching already and you liked it (or are confident you would), then pursuing a PhD in social work could be a great idea. There is a shortage of doctorally-prepared faculty candidates in social work (Acquavita & Tice, 2015), so unlike a lot of other disciplines you might actually stand a reasonable shot at getting a gig at a professorship at a major school. The professional desperately needs people with practice experience who also want to earn their PhD and contribute to the social work body of knowledge.

Shauna P. Acquavita & Carolyn J. Tice (2015) Social work doctoral education in the United States: examining the past, preparing for the future, Social Work Education, 34:7,
846-860, DOI: 10.1080/02615479.2015.1053448

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the heads up. This is helpful to hear. If you don't mind me asking? why did you pursue the dsw instead of the PhD. I know those are never funded so how did you conclude that it would be a worthy investment? How's your experience been in the program.

Just to give you a little background, I'm an LCSW finishing my last year in a DSW program. I know you provided some rationale for the PhD, but I would think even harder. What makes you attracted to an academic career? The other caution I would express is that so many people start PhD programs and don't finish. Some of them start without a real sense of what they're getting into. That can be especially problematic if you aren't funded because you leave without much to show for it and with the added debt. If you have experience in research and teaching already and you liked it (or are confident you would), then pursuing a PhD in social work could be a great idea. There is a shortage of doctorally-prepared faculty candidates in social work (Acquavita & Tice, 2015), so unlike a lot of other disciplines you might actually stand a reasonable shot at getting a gig at a professorship at a major school. The professional desperately needs people with practice experience who also want to earn their PhD and contribute to the social work body of knowledge.

Shauna P. Acquavita & Carolyn J. Tice (2015) Social work doctoral education in the United States: examining the past, preparing for the future, Social Work Education, 34:7,
846-860, DOI: 10.1080/02615479.2015.1053448

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up. This is helpful to hear. If you don't mind me asking? why did you pursue the dsw instead of the PhD. I know those are never funded so how did you conclude that it would be a worthy investment? How's your experience been in the program.
I don't mind you asking at all. I actually work at the institution where I'm getting my DSW. The DSW program (as all or almost all are) is designed for working professionals. So with that arrangement, I'm able to work at my university and attend classes in the evening, essentially for free. I have to pay a about $300 in fees each semester + books.

Having said that, the vast majority of the people in my program are paying for it on there own. One or two others may work for the university and a few others may be getting some assistance from their employers. Overall though, the satisfaction with the program is really high. I think my cohort started out with around 21 students (you take all of your classes together, semester-by-semester), and I think we've lost maybe 2-3 and we're a year away from finishing. I haven't talked to anyone who has been through the program who felt it was a waste. It's certainly not perfect, but it's definitely helped me grow as a social worker. It's definitely more academic though. Meaning, yes you're learning about clinical work but you're not getting clinical supervision from faculty. And at the end of the day, in terms of sharpening your clinical skills there's no substitute for great clinical supervision, preferably with audio/video. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Wow. That's a great situation you have going for you. When you say essentially free is that because working the the university gives you tuition reduction? or do you mean free as in your working as you earn the degree?

If the prior, this might be something worth looking into for myself! What type of work do you do at your university?

I don't mind you asking at all. I actually work at the institution where I'm getting my DSW. The DSW program (as all or almost all are) is designed for working professionals. So with that arrangement, I'm able to work at my university and attend classes in the evening, essentially for free. I have to pay a about $300 in fees each semester + books.

Having said that, the vast majority of the people in my program are paying for it on there own. One or two others may work for the university and a few others may be getting some assistance from their employers. Overall though, the satisfaction with the program is really high. I think my cohort started out with around 21 students (you take all of your classes together, semester-by-semester), and I think we've lost maybe 2-3 and we're a year away from finishing. I haven't talked to anyone who has been through the program who felt it was a waste. It's certainly not perfect, but it's definitely helped me grow as a social worker. It's definitely more academic though. Meaning, yes you're learning about clinical work but you're not getting clinical supervision from faculty. And at the end of the day, in terms of sharpening your clinical skills there's no substitute for great clinical supervision, preferably with audio/video. Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me.

Wow. That's a great situation you have going for you. When you say essentially free is that because working the the university gives you tuition reduction? or do you mean free as in your working as you earn the degree?

If the prior, this might be something worth looking into for myself! What type of work do you do at your university?

Most schools offer free tuition for employees. I basically do crisis and threat management in Student Health. It's definitely a great situation, and I feel very fortunate! A lot of the master's level folks work on doctorates while working at the university. I have mainly seen people pursue the DSW, DrPH (Doctor of Public Health), Educational Psychology. People working in other departments sometimes go for a PhD in College Student Personnel.

Most schools offer free tuition for employees. I basically do crisis and threat management in Student Health. It's definitely a great situation, and I feel very fortunate! A lot of the master's level folks work on doctorates while working at the university. I have mainly seen people pursue the DSW, DrPH (Doctor of Public Health), Educational Psychology. People working in other departments sometimes go for a PhD in College Student Personnel.

This really sounds awesome...to the college careers page!