Pharmacy Tech Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elitehacker1337

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a pharmacy tech work only weekends so a total of like 16 hours?

I need a job and don't know if taking the PTCB/PTCE is worth it if I can't find someone in retail who doesn't want someone that can only work weekends and holidays

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I think it is possible, you'll just have to be explicit with that in the hiring process. I basically do weekends and nights. My store has a lot of parent techs so thats kind of how the cards fell, but I prefer those shifts anyway. Have you had tech experience before? I think in the beginning, even though its been ****ty, the more hours is better bc the learning opportunities. Then again, everywhere is different maybe I'm wrong.

When I first got a job as a technician they had me come in on weekdays for training with the senior tech since weekdays are the busiest and best for learning. Since my pharmacy has 3 full time technicians, I ended up working weekends, however, I did have to fill in during the week and work 32-40 hrs when they took their vacations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I first got a job as a technician they had me come in on weekdays for training with the senior tech since weekdays are the busiest and best for learning. Since my pharmacy has 3 full time technicians, I ended up working weekends, however, I did have to fill in during the week and work 32-40 hrs when they took their vacations.
Did you do this while semester? That seems incredibly taxing on school. I can only really do fri-sun

Did you do this while semester? That seems incredibly taxing on school. I can only really do fri-sun

The training on weekdays I did during the beginning of summer last year. I did cover shifts during the school year and it was stressful, but with good time management and planning ahead of time I managed to still do well in my classes. Honestly, the manager and staff pharmacist were (and still are) invested in my success so if some days I came in a little late or had to leave a little early they had no problem with it. It all really depends on the people you're working with.

Last edited:
The training on weekdays I did during the beginning of summer last year. I did cover shifts during the school year and it was stressful, but with good time management and planning ahead of time I managed to still do well in my classes. Honestly, the manager and staff pharmacist were (and still are) invested in my success so if some days I came in a little late or had to leave a little early they had no problem with it. It all really depends on the people you're working with.
Nice, happy to hear it worked for you. My schedule will involve night classes and other extra curriculars so it may not be possible for me.

Do you think it is important to apply before or after I take the PTCB? I have a week before Fall semester starts and I'm trying to study for the PTCB because other than winter break, I'm not going to be able to dedicate any time.

I'm thinking of applying before and after I get licensed assuming I pass the PTCB. I'm using Mosby's review but pharmacology is something that will take a large chunk of studying to get down.

Nice, happy to hear it worked for you. My schedule will involve night classes and other extra curriculars so it may not be possible for me.

Do you think it is important to apply before or after I take the PTCB? I have a week before Fall semester starts and I'm trying to study for the PTCB because other than winter break, I'm not going to be able to dedicate any time.

I'm thinking of applying before and after I get licensed assuming I pass the PTCB. I'm using Mosby's review but pharmacology is something that will take a large chunk of studying to get down.

Honestly, I have no idea. It really depends on the state that you live in. I live in Michigan. If a prepharm student without any experience/license gets hired the company they get hired with normally pays for all their licensure (temporary & full) and enrollment in pharmacy technician's university. You come in for either your shift (scheduled) or paid training (pharmacy tech university on your own time) and basically have one year to complete and graduate from the training program, take the exam & pass, and submit paperwork for your full license in order to continue working at the store or move up to a hospital setting. The training I did consisted of 17 units, each unit with multiple sections. In order to complete the training I had to score 80%+ on a test at the end of each section and score 80%+ on each unit exam. At the end of the training I had to take one cumulative exam over all 17 units and score 80%+ on it as well, and arrange for those official results to be sent to the Michigan Board of Pharmacy in order to receive my full license.

In Michigan that's one of three ways you can obtain your pharmacy tech license. I'm not sure if any other states do that.

Depending on whatever state you live in, they might require you to already have some sort of certification or license in order to be considered eligible for the position.

Last edited: