Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had an interview this AM with grocery store chain in city i am looking to relocate to. Feeling positive about it but they dont hire often so im sure there are a lot of applicants. now the waiting game!

I work for wag now and have been trying to transfer for a year but my district is so short staffed and my DM always just tells me there are no spots open yet where i want to go. I have also reached out to people myself. If i end up leaving WAG i will be a little sad because i like my store and techs a lot and we are a great team but you gotta do what you gotta do. My personal life is more important and right now i have nothing in the city i work except for my job

Members don't see this ad.

i got the job, i am leaving WAG> I am so so happy omg

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The Commissioned Corps application board will look at your CV, GPA, and references. They are considering new graduates as well as those with experience, so as long as your overall application packet looks good (decent GPA, good references, a well-polished CV) , only having 1 year of experience isn't an issue. There is also a phone interview in which they will ask you some typical job interview type questions, with some emphasis on what motivates you to serve in a uniformed service. In fact, if you are too experienced (i.e. over the age of 44), you wouldn't qualify for a commission anyway, so being young (and healthy) is generally an advantage. What it mainly comes down to, though, is whether you are willing to work at either IHS, BOP, or FDA-ORA (Indian Health Service, Bureau of Prisons, or FDA Office of Regulatory Affairs). They will ask you this during the initial application process, and you basically have to give your word that you will apply and accept a job with one of those agencies. To clarify, you have to apply for jobs in these agencies IN ADDITION to applying for a commission with the USPHS Commissioned Corps, since the Commissioned Corps doesn't have the authority to simply place you where ever the needs of the service are. Therefore, they will only move forward with your application if you agree to apply and accept jobs in one of those three agencies.

The advantage of applying to jobs in these agencies as a PHS commissioned officer as opposed to a civil servant is the different pay rate and benefits you get as an officer, as well as the additional responsibilities and opportunities you'll have in advancing public health. As a PHS officer, you have opportunities to go on domestic and international deployments in response to public health emergencies (e.g. man-made or natural disasters), you also have increased mobility among the various agencies that make up the Department of Health and Human Services as well as other agencies that PHS has memorandum of understandings with (such as the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and others), which enables you to have a unique and varied career. Also, if you have an interest in serving in the Coast Guard as a pharmacist, you must be commissioned as a PHS officer first. Lastly, you get to serve your country and provide care to some of our most vulnerable citizens, and you get to wear a distinguished uniform while you do it! If any of those things appeal to you, I would encourage you to go ahead and apply - you won't know what your actual chances are until you try.

I would agree with most of this (although I'm now the civilian side). The one thing that I would really say that separates the CC from the civilian is that the CC personnel can depend on each other for a network in a way that the Civil Service cannot, and while you have broad discretion on certain matters with CC personnel, it's a group that messing with them is professionally suicidal. If you're willing to stick with the CC over a career, the rewards are far higher than what is given to civilians (which makes up for their forced overtime).

the Commissioned Corps doesn't have the authority to simply place you where ever the needs of the service are.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/215

I somewhat disagree with that assertion. "215 Part E" assignments used to be a lot more common in the old days than now. The current rules that have consent on assignments are only from Obama's (more specifically SG Garcia's) tenure which will be revoked upon the entrance of the next President or the next Surgeon General. During the old days, 215E assignments were the rule, not the exception for really hard to fill services and was used on 9/11 to detail a bunch of medical personnel (mostly physicians and nurses) to the DoD to relieve the regulars to deploy from the back line hospitals (Landstuhl and Naples) to the front. 10 USC actually has precedence, where at the discretion of the Surgeon General, you can definitely be assigned without consent on a specific personnel matter that only that person can fulfill. That's been creatively used in the past to:

"Giga, SENIOR, being the only USPHS pharmacist to regularly interact with the StudentDoctor Forums, is hereby given a directed personnel assignment to interact with StudentDoctor..."

Many of the Director Grades had at least one "assignment" during their careers as it's kind of unavoidable unless you're a real bureaucrat or avoid notice by BUPERS. In practice, this is rarely invoked for any provider, and almost never invoked for pharmacists. But I remember working with a directed assignment physician at Ft. Defiance at one point in my career as happy as the assignment dictates.

For instance, Zika. It's been declared a 42 USC C247d Public Health Emergency, I got all my favorite picks from the CC to do work for me, and if the matter was forced (it wasn't as all my favorite picks are old personal colleagues who we've worked together for years), I could have forced the matter under 42 USC 215 to HHS that I need this person for their unique talent and dealing with a declared 42 USC 247d PHE and the personnel office has no grounds to refuse (or the person).

Reactions: 1 users

Where do you live and are you willing to relocate? Retail pharmacists are a dime a dozen in most areas. Make sure your resume is well polished and to the point. Are you applying to the same chain you worked with before? Would any of your previous managers put in a good word for you?

Where do you live and are you willing to relocate? Retail pharmacists are a dime a dozen in most areas. Make sure your resume is well polished and to the point. Are you applying to the same chain you worked with before? Would any of your previous managers put in a good word for you?

I live in Fl, in the Tampa Bay Area, we have several pharmacy schools here so there are many students who just graduated/are becoming licensed. Yes, I applied to the same chain for which I worked and reached out to the DM but since I left the company the DM had changed. I have reached out to my previous managers and they surely put in a good word for me but unfortunately the DM did not have anything open. I want to stay in this area but I feel now that I have exhausted my options and this is why I came on here with my post.

I live in Fl, in the Tampa Bay Area, we have several pharmacy schools here so there are many students who just graduated/are becoming licensed. Yes, I applied to the same chain for which I worked and reached out to the DM but since I left the company the DM had changed. I have reached out to my previous managers and they surely put in a good word for me but unfortunately the DM did not have anything open. I want to stay in this area but I feel now that I have exhausted my options and this is why I came on here with my post.

Yea unfortunately this is the nature of a saturated market. My only advice to you is to continue applying and ask your your friends or classmates to see if they know of any openings. If you have loans and stuff due soon, I would try to relocate. It's only going to get worse.

Hello everyone,

I am a 2016 graduate who has a few questions. Here is a little information about myself first. I began working for a big pharmacy retail chain during my senior year of high school. I was not quite sure about what I wanted to do with my future post graduation and began taking general ed classes at my local college while continuing to work for the pharmacy. During my time working at this pharmacy I became a certified pharmacy technician and I also got to meet a lot of really good pharmacists/pharmacy managers who I had great relationships with. Eventually I decided to pursue pharmacy as my major. I continued to work ~25-30 hours per week while doing all of my pre-requisites and finally applying to pharmacy school 4 years later. There were ups and downs during my time working and going to school but I managed to get through it. After being accepted to pharmacy school I had to relocate and was unable to secure a position with the company in my new location. Unfortunately, during pharmacy school I did not secure a position post graduation, and decided against doing a residency. Now, having completed my degree and having moved back to my home town I went from student to being unemployed. At first I told myself to focus on my boards and to apply for intern positions and to keep my fingers crossed for something to open up. 1 month went by with no luck, and my MPJE was coming up the following week. I took the exam - passed and continued to study for the NAPLEX while continuing to send out applications. After a couple of weeks of applying and studying for the NAPLEX I gave up trying to find intern positions and just focused on passing this exam and becoming licensed as I thought this would allow me to find employment faster. I passed the exam and now I am a licensed pharmacist. I have done numerous online applications and have contacted all of the DMs of the big retail pharmacies in town. I don't get anything back from the online applications and the DMs just tell me that they will keep my info on hand in case a position opens up in this area. Since my options here in the city are dried up I am now facing having to relocate and find opportunities elsewhere, or find some job to get me through and continue to hope something opens up here. Here are my questions:
-Have I exhausted all of my options in this area?
-Is my best next step to start emailing DMs outside of this area? and how would I approach them.
-Does my past experience as a technician count for anything?
-Is not having worked as an intern a downside that would keep employers from possibly hiring me?
-Once I do find a position, will I get some form of training or will I just be sent out to start working, I know I will at least have to learn the software.

I know this is a long message and I appreciate any input. Thanks.
have you tried independent pharmacy? I was in the same position as you when I graduated last year until I found an opening with an independent which gave some income

Usually I just read about people posting about their "unicorn" jobs on here

Truth is that many pharmacists are hurting right now and are underemployed or even unemployed

Reactions: 5 users
Yea unfortunately this is the nature of a saturated market. My only advice to you is to continue applying and ask your your friends or classmates to see if they know of any openings. If you have loans and stuff due soon, I would try to relocate. It's only going to get worse.

Thanks for the input

have you tried independent pharmacy? I was in the same position as you when I graduated last year until I found an opening with an independent which gave some income

Whats the best way to approach independent pharmacies? Over the phone or walk-in and talk to them, there is a few independents in the area but I never really thought that they may be looking for help.

It makes me very annoyed that students are duped by these greedy schools into thinking all is fine...I have witnessed the over-saturation of pharmacy within the last 10 years...it's been rapid and with new schools opening up like rabid vultures, I only see this problem escalating...

Reactions: 1 user
Law school is 3 years, so I don't really get what you're trying to say...

My lovely sister was accepted into multiple law schools for fall '09. She was awarded scholarships by 2 schools for $25k/year. She chose the most prestigious school, which happened to be the one giving her a scholarship and located in this city, and her out of pocket expense will be approx. $45K total upon graduation, which will be $30K more than her next-best alternative.

images

This is all good and wonderful, however, my bf's brother is an attorney who works for a successful firm in the same city, and he graduated from the state school, not the prestigious school, because it was economical.

Economics is a big factor. If people chose to ignore the economical factors surrounding their decisions, like doing residencies instead of finding a company who will train you to become a "clinical" pharmacist, then they will have to deal with the consequences...
are you oblivious to the fact that residencies are almost necessary and it's nearly impossible to find a hospital who will train you to be a clinical pharm ?!

I'm looking at all these posts, and I notice the common theme that pharmacy is horrible and you'll regret it for life. I'm just a junior, so I have time. Should I just skip out on pharmacy and work towards medical school and become a physician? It seems like everyone hates their job. :/
its less to do with hating the job and more to do with work conditions and availability of jobs...the notion that healthcare jobs are plenty is not relevant anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
its less to do with hating the job and more to do with work conditions and availability of jobs...the notion that healthcare jobs are plenty is not relevant anymore.

Yea....that was maybe true 15 years ago. Now days....there are so many mid-level providers that going to med school isn't even a sure thing with job security. Only do it if you love it. Don't go into the profession just for money or job security anymore.

Hello everyone,

I am a 2016 graduate who has a few questions. Here is a little information about myself first. I began working for a big pharmacy retail chain during my senior year of high school. I was not quite sure about what I wanted to do with my future post graduation and began taking general ed classes at my local college while continuing to work for the pharmacy. During my time working at this pharmacy I became a certified pharmacy technician and I also got to meet a lot of really good pharmacists/pharmacy managers who I had great relationships with. Eventually I decided to pursue pharmacy as my major. I continued to work ~25-30 hours per week while doing all of my pre-requisites and finally applying to pharmacy school 4 years later. There were ups and downs during my time working and going to school but I managed to get through it. After being accepted to pharmacy school I had to relocate and was unable to secure a position with the company in my new location. Unfortunately, during pharmacy school I did not secure a position post graduation, and decided against doing a residency. Now, having completed my degree and having moved back to my home town I went from student to being unemployed. At first I told myself to focus on my boards and to apply for intern positions and to keep my fingers crossed for something to open up. 1 month went by with no luck, and my MPJE was coming up the following week. I took the exam - passed and continued to study for the NAPLEX while continuing to send out applications. After a couple of weeks of applying and studying for the NAPLEX I gave up trying to find intern positions and just focused on passing this exam and becoming licensed as I thought this would allow me to find employment faster. I passed the exam and now I am a licensed pharmacist. I have done numerous online applications and have contacted all of the DMs of the big retail pharmacies in town. I don't get anything back from the online applications and the DMs just tell me that they will keep my info on hand in case a position opens up in this area. Since my options here in the city are dried up I am now facing having to relocate and find opportunities elsewhere, or find some job to get me through and continue to hope something opens up here. Here are my questions:
-Is my best next step to start emailing DMs outside of this area? and how would I approach them.
-Is not having worked as an intern a downside that would keep employers from possibly hiring me?
-Once I do find a position, will I get some form of training or will I just be sent out to start working, I know I will at least have to learn the software.

I know this is a long message and I appreciate any input. Thanks.

YES

Outside the area? are you serious? do you not know how saturated pharmacy is right now? Start with outside the state then try doing rural midwest/texas and alaska. PharmDs are being printed cheaply. The easy part is getting the degree. hard part is finding a job

It's virtually worthless

Yes it is a downside. This is a competitive market.

-Once I do find a position, will I get some form of training or will I just be sent out to start
working, I know I will at least have to learn the software.

Once the gap in your CV gets too big you will not get a position bc employers will think what is wrong with this guy for so many ppl to pass up on them.

You should consider going back to school for an in demand degree such as RN, NP, CRNA, PA or MD.

YES

Outside the area? are you serious? do you not know how saturated pharmacy is right now? Start with outside the state then try doing rural midwest/texas and alaska. PharmDs are being printed cheaply. The easy part is getting the degree. hard part is finding a job

It's virtually worthless

-Once I do find a position, will I get some form of training or will I just be sent out to start

Once the gap in your CV gets too big you will not get a position bc employers will think what is wrong with this guy for so many ppl to pass up on them.

You should consider going back to school for an in demand degree such as RN, NP, CRNA, PA or MD.

The job market has really gotten to the point of being so bad that if someone graduates from pharmacy school, can't find a position immediately and decides to wait a few months for one to open up in their area, and one doesn't open up by then, they will have ruined their chances of ever getting a pharmacist job and basically will have no choice but to go back to school and do something else?

The job market has really gotten to the point of being so bad that if someone graduates from pharmacy school, can't find a position immediately and decides to wait a few months for one to open up in their area, and one doesn't open up by then, they will have ruined their chances of ever getting a pharmacist job and basically will have no choice but to go back to school and do something else?

I wouldn't say ruined, but it certainly becomes harder to find a job the longer you go without working. I think it's safe to say that is true in almost every field.

I got my license 2 months ago. Can't land a job in my area so I'm getting licensed in 2 more states now. The job market is extremely tight. Many positions in my area require "1 year experience" basically to say "new grads need not even try." Despite having hospital based APPEs it's still impossible to land even overnight shifts. The saturation is real. If you cant land a job withib a month or 2 of licensure just get licensed in other states. The situation isn't going to change.

I got my license 2 months ago. Can't land a job in my area so I'm getting licensed in 2 more states now. The job market is extremely tight. Many positions in my area require "1 year experience" basically to say "new grads need not even try." Despite having hospital based APPEs it's still impossible to land even overnight shifts. The saturation is real. If you cant land a job withib a month or 2 of licensure just get licensed in other states. The situation isn't going to change.

You dropped the ball. You should have already been licensed in other states. Waiting is a very bad idea. Not only are you losing real income you are also hurting your CV. You should consider extreme rural areas.

You dropped the ball. You should have already been licensed in other states. Waiting is a very bad idea. Not only are you losing real income you are also hurting your CV. You should consider extreme rural areas.

At the time I didn't have the funds to pay over $1,000 in board + exam fees to get licensed in other states. All I can do is work with what I have at this point. I only know of 5 or so students that landed jobs in my area from my school and they all interned for many years (one of the major chains had 20 interns graduate, could only hold on to 2 from my school). The rest did residencies, are still looking, or moved to other states.

How not? it's called loan money.

I don't have a high credit limit, I don't come from a wealthy family that can loan me money, and I had used whatever excess in student loans to fund my licensing and fees which cost nearly $1,000 for my state alone. I know I likely didn't make the wisest choice in trying to get licensed here at all, but at this point I can only work with what I have right now. The thing I'd say is for everyone else to avoid the position me and many others are in. Don't attempt to find work in a saturated area at all and take whatever job offer you can, anywhere. The states I'm being licensed in I've had recruiters and a few companies contact me when I interviewed with them at job fairs regarding their districts. Go where there is a need or where companies have expressed interest in having you there, don't stick around for family, friends, or significant others and try to find work in saturated areas. For every new grad there are also 50+ experienced pharmacists also vying for the same job, you have no chance.

I don't have a high credit limit, I don't come from a wealthy family that can loan me money, and I had used whatever excess in student loans to fund my licensing and fees which cost nearly $1,000 for my state alone. I know I likely didn't make the wisest choice in trying to get licensed here at all, but at this point I can only work with what I have right now. The thing I'd say is for everyone else to avoid the position me and many others are in. Don't attempt to find work in a saturated area at all and take whatever job offer you can, anywhere. The states I'm being licensed in I've had recruiters and a few companies contact me when I interviewed with them at job fairs regarding their districts. Go where there is a need or where companies have expressed interest in having you there, don't stick around for family, friends, or significant others and try to find work in saturated areas. For every new grad there are also 50+ experienced pharmacists also vying for the same job, you have no chance.

yeah man. sounds like you went to an expensive school and lived lavishly if you were near your federal loans. LECOM is a 3 year 27k a year school. You shouldn't have had more than 85k + 20k for food/rent in loans.

yeah man. sounds like you went to an expensive school and lived lavishly if you were near your federal loans. LECOM is a 3 year 27k a year school. You shouldn't have had more than 85k + 20k for food/rent in loans.

I lived with parents and took out the minimum possible to cover tuition and what little living expenses I had. I went to a school near family to save on room and board and also to help care for my grandmother that lives here that had a stroke as well as care for my grandfather who fell ill and passed away during my P4 year. My goal was to stay close (within an hour and a half) to still help care for family as I'm the oldest sibling and due to all my immediate family being here. But that plan isn't working so I'm working with what I got and leaving for my next best option. As far as being in school I interned with 2 companies, held leadership roles in school organizations, worked on research projects, got published, won awards for presentations, etc. The lesson is being a "model" student isn't going to trump 1 year of experience that hiring managers want to see on a CV. If your market is saturated unless you have a job offer prior to graduation don't even try.

Last edited:
I lived with parents and took out the minimum possible to cover tuition and what little living expenses I had. I went to a school near family to save on room and board and also to help care for my grandmother that lives here that had a stroke as well as care for my grandfather who fell ill and passed away during my P4 year. My goal was to stay close (within an hour and a half) to still help care for family as I'm the oldest sibling and due to all my immediate family being here. But that plan isn't working so I'm working with what I got and leaving for my next best option. As far as being in school I interned with 2 companies, held leadership roles in school organizations, worked on research projects, got published, won awards for presentations, etc. The lesson is being a "model" student isn't going to trump 1 year of experience that hiring managers want to see on a CV. If your market is saturated unless you have a job offer prior to graduation don't even try.

Sorry to hear the job market is so saturated in your area. If you don't mind, can I ask what state you're in? Even in the relatively undesirable GA city I'm from, hospitals are (at minimum) requiring 1 year of experience, or, as one local hospital recently started requiring, one year of experience PLUS a PGY-1. All the retail positions except for 2 that are currently open at CVS are also completely filled. I guess even the undesirable areas are starting to hit the saturation point, because a year ago today, there were positions posted by all the retail chains here (e.g., CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Walmart, Publix, Bi-Lo, you name it).

I had pretty much the same experience as you. Graduated in May, licensed by mid-June, and only just started a full-time job 2 weeks ago! This wasn't for lack of effort.

I didn't keep an exact tally, but I applied to ~100 job postings from April-August. I got a second state license during this process (license in hand by early Sept.) simply because my state is super saturated and I continually was getting passed up for positions (many overnight) by other candidates with "more experience", despite me having several years intern experience and diverse APPEs, just like you. Crazy frustrating.

I cringe at the thought of new students entering pharmacy school, they are going to have it even worse graduating in 4 years! I am holding on tight to the full-time job I managed to find and am more grateful every day.

You would have been much better off getting C's in all your classes and working retail and networking like crazy during pharm school. school org fluff is completely worthless; managers see right through that crap. Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama are high demand areas right now. Get licensed in one of those states.

It'll be hard to get an overnight position in a hospital without experience. That position needs someone that has been around the block because you'll often be the only pharmacist in the entire hospital and need to know a little bit about everything. You don't have anyone else to fall back on overnight if there is a crisis. That's a big reason why you'll get extra incentives like a big shift differential or 7 on/7 off to attract experienced people.

You would have been much better off getting C's in all your classes and working retail and networking like crazy during pharm school. school org fluff is completely worthless; managers see right through that crap. Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama are high demand areas right now. Get licensed in one of those states.

Arkansas is kind of a dead zone for hospital jobs though. I rarely see positions posted if he is interested in that, but I think our retail game is still pretty strong.

That said, Baptist is about to open a new hospital in Conway, which is a nice suburb about 20 minutes from Little Rock. Arkansas Children's is opening a small hospital in the Fayetteville area next year, one of the most desirable and beautiful areas of the state. Also I'm not aware of any hospitals that require residency around here. The culture is still such that we don't mind training new pharmacists to do the job.

At the time I didn't have the funds to pay over $1,000 in board + exam fees to get licensed in other states. All I can do is work with what I have at this point. I only know of 5 or so students that landed jobs in my area from my school and they all interned for many years (one of the major chains had 20 interns graduate, could only hold on to 2 from my school). The rest did residencies, are still looking, or moved to other states.

Did you try applying to federal government jobs (e.g., VA, IHS, BOP [Bureau of Prisons])? You only need to be licensed in one state and you can work anywhere in the country with a fed job.

Did you try applying to federal government jobs (e.g., VA, IHS, BOP [Bureau of Prisons])? You only need to be licensed in one state and you can work anywhere in the country with a fed job.

I applied for a position with the NIH which I knew was a long shot. I have close family friends that work for the FDA who told me to try and apply when they open apps and I plan to, I'd love to have a position there.

I applied for a position with the NIH which I knew was a long shot. I have close family friends that work for the FDA who told me to try and apply when they open apps and I plan to, I'd love to have a position there.

FDA has a few job announcements currently open that you might qualify for. As a recent PharmD grad, you have a decent shot at GS-11 rated jobs, and you might even qualify for GS-12 jobs. Just search around usajobs.gov, and if you find a job you think you'd be a good fit for, apply for it via usajobs.gov, but also definitely follow-up with your contacts at FDA and ask them if they know anything about a particular job you are interested in. Keep in mind it can take several months to come on board with the fed government (from the moment you apply to the moment you get your first pay check can easily take 6 months).

I feel for you. I wish you nothing but the best and I hope you get a Job where you are happy...I know the struggles coming from a family who cannot support your education financially.

YES

It's virtually worthless

Mr. Sloth,

I only saw your response today so sorry about my late response. I would like to inform you that I was able to stay in the area in which I was looking for employment and have landed a position. Thank you for all of your help.

Mr. Sloth,

I only saw your response today so sorry about my late response. I would like to inform you that I was able to stay in the area in which I was looking for employment and have landed a position. Thank you for all of your help.
thank me in 5 years when you burn out of retail.

thank me in 5 years when you burn out of retail.

You are being optimistic with the 5 year thought :) Anyways I'm happy to get started on my career and will try my best to stay optimistic and open minded... What path did retail end up sending you?

You are being optimistic with the 5 year thought :) Anyways I'm happy to get started on my career and will try my best to stay optimistic and open minded... What path did retail end up sending you?

the same path it sends everyone.

<spoiler>
Across the river Styx.

</spoiler>

With a pharmacy degree, you now have to think outside the box because it is not guaranteed that the retail stores will handout six figure jobs with no questions asked.

This is an example of what i mean: http://medsguides.com/

With a pharmacy degree, you now have to think outside the box because it is not guaranteed that the retail stores will handout six figure jobs with no questions asked.

You mean you made this website yourself? I'm not sure this makes the statement you mean for it to make.

Poor advice. There are thousands of pharmacy graduates each year, all earning a degree with a very narrow focus. There are only so many things you can do with the PharmD to make a good return on investment, and the vast majority of these positions are in dispensing roles. Anyone with a little computer knowledge can create a website. The right person with the right focus can even create a great online medical resource. However, the thousands of graduating pharmacists will probably need jobs in pharmacy. There is no amount of outside the box thinking that will employ all of them.

Poor advice. There are thousands of pharmacy graduates each year, all earning a degree with a very narrow focus. There are only so many things you can do with the PharmD to make a good return on investment, and the vast majority of these positions are in dispensing roles. Anyone with a little computer knowledge can create a website. The right person with the right focus can even create a great online medical resource. However, the thousands of graduating pharmacists will probably need jobs in pharmacy. There is no amount of outside the box thinking that will employ all of them.
umm they could open more schools like they have been then hire those pharmDs and keep doing this till there are like 400 pharmacy schools

umm they could open more schools like they have been then hire those pharmDs and keep doing this till there are like 400 pharmacy schools
You mean pyramid scheme? That sounds like a good idea! Each school should collect a percentage of the profit from their students who open new schools.

It'll be hard to get an overnight position in a hospital without experience. That position needs someone that has been around the block because you'll often be the only pharmacist in the entire hospital and need to know a little bit about everything. You don't have anyone else to fall back on overnight if there is a crisis. That's a big reason why you'll get extra incentives like a big shift differential or 7 on/7 off to attract experienced people.

We're having a very hard time getting experienced people at our hospital. Our last several hires have been desperate retailers, mostly recent grads. We're fairly rural I guess, but within a couple hours of Seattle/Tacoma. The 'year of experience' we ask for is really just a means to avoid paying full time wage X 3-6 months before someone can run on their own. New grads with excellent intern experience will do just fine. I don't understand our lack of applicants. Low cost of living, easy to buy 5+ acres. . .maybe I'm just a happy hick. Our last full time day shift offering netted TWO applicants who came in for interviews.

Last edited:
We're having a very hard time getting experienced people at our hospital. Our last several hires have been desperate retailers, mostly recent grads. We're fairly rural I guess, but within a couple hours of Seattle/Tacoma. The 'year of experience' we ask for is really just a means to avoid paying full time wage X 3-6 months before someone can run on their own. New grads with excellent intern experience will do just fine. I don't understand our lack of applicants. Low cost of living, easy to buy 5+ acres. . .maybe I'm just a happy hick. Our last full time day shift offering netted TWO applicants who came in for interviews.

Med and pharm students have below average biological fitness. This means they suck at dating and mating. When they finish school a disproportionate amount of pharmds are single or near single. They want to maximize their chance of reproductive success by playing the numbers game in large metros

I don't understand our lack of applicants. Low cost of living, easy to buy 5+ acres. . .maybe I'm just a happy hick. Our last full time day shift offering netted TWO applicants who came in for interviews.

Which goes to show, there will always be some jobs available, that nobody wants because of the location. Which doesn't make any sense for a single, new graduate. They need to tell their friends they will see them in a few years, then move for the job. It is far, far easier to get a job in a desired locale, once someone has some experience, than it to get a job in a desired locale for someone with no experience.

For your specific locale, El Trombopag, I think you need to accept that it is an undesirable location and that you aren't going to get applicants with experience. So offer a higher starting salary if you do ever get someone with experience, but give a lower starting salary for the pharmacist coming in with no experience. Or offer a lower starting salary, that will be bumped up once the person has completed 90 days (or even 180 days) of a probation period. Surely human resources will work with you on this.

I landed a position recently. I'd say just avoid completely saturated areas. Within a month of being licensed in 2 new states I got employment in a large, desirable metropolitan area. I wouldn't look for a job in a city with more than 1 pharmacy school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I landed a position recently. I'd say just avoid completely saturated areas. Within a month of being licensed in 2 new states I got employment in a large, desirable metropolitan area. I wouldn't look for a job in a city with more than 1 pharmacy school.

What about cities that don't actually have a pharmacy school, but where there are 4 pharmacy schools all located within a 1.5-2 hour radius?

What about cities that don't actually have a pharmacy school, but where there are 4 pharmacy schools all located within a 1.5-2 hour radius?

I guess it depends. I'd scan indeed, glassdoor, and other job posting sites to see how quickly positions get filled. In my area most were filled within a week and they typically took transfers from out of region.

Are you a hospital pharmacist or are you working retail? If retail, is it full-time, part-time or overnight?