Pharmacy Intern First Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaranthyn

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm about to begin my first year of pharmacy school this fall, and I'm starting to see emails and posts about pharmacy intern applications. I know our names will be sent to the Board of Pharmacy some time in August. At one of my interviews for a different school, I remember some of the students telling us NOT to work or intern during the first year. They said it would be better to use that time to adjust to pharmacy school, studying, the city (if we would be moving), etc.. So I'm wondering what your opinions are. Is it difficult to balance an internship with studying during the first year? Is that extra experience worth it? Or should I just wait to apply during the second year?

Any info would help me out a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would personally intern my first year in the summer since your first year will be important. So maybe that is what everyone means. I do believe it is difficult to balance taking 17 credits and working in your first year. And if I were you try to get into the John Hopkins Internship. Honestly students can't tell you what you can't handle. During my BS degree I worked full time and was full time in school but I made it happen. You can try work study in your first year if you need money cuz being broke in Pharmacy school sucks. You have to ask yourself what you can handle. And if you can handle doing both go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you I would personally intern my first year in the summer since your first year will be important. So maybe that is what everyone means. I do believe it is difficult to balance taking 17 credits and working in your first year. And if I were you try to get into the John Hopkins Internship. Honestly students can't tell you what you can't handle. During my BS degree I worked full time and was full time in school but I made it happen. You can try work study in your first year if you need money cuz being broke in Pharmacy school sucks. You have to ask yourself what you can handle. And if you can handle doing both go for it!

Thank you for your response! I think I will try to do an internship in the summer :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed^

Reactions: 1 users
Some people can and some people can't. But you can't really become a Pharmacy Intern till you get your license which is after finishing your 1st year. From what I heard some independents would accept you as an intern but those hours don't count towards your required hours for licensing exams.

Is the john Hopkins internship difficult during the school year? How was your experience?