Pharmacist with 38 yr experience - take NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N42519

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a pharmacist who graduated in 1972 wanted to take the NAPLEX, how would they even begin to prepare? So much has changed in the world of pharmacy in the past 38 years - many not even taught when I got my BS.

I want to retire in Florida and would like to work "a bit" (it's a 38 year habit that I find hard to break) but I can't reciprocate my SC license.

Is there anyone out there who has taken (and passed) the NAPLEX after 30+ years? My experience was ~17 years in retail and 21 in hospital, but not all in direct patient care activities.

I glanced at the APhA Complete Review 6th Ed...if it's representative of the NAPLEX, maybe I should start practicing saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart, do you need a shopping cart"....

I would appreciate a bit of guidance here. I don't want to review for 6 months only to muster a failing NAPLEx score- HELP?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the NAPLEX in Feb. 2010 and passed.
I graduated from school 16 years ago and I was in the same position as you in starting preparation for NAPLEX exam. All my pharmacy knowledge was rusty and didn't know where to start. I finally decided to use RXprep and ApHA material for the study and had no problem with preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:
N4,

I graduated almost 21 yrs ago, and even when I agree with you, but whith your experience and a bit of dedication you can do it. I took it lightly the first time around and paid the consequences, now I must retake it and it is no shame but rather commendable that old guard pharmacists can still make it. New knowledge is always welcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation. I graduated with BS in Pharmacy '83. Past NAPLEX in '85. I am registered in KS but never practiced. Kept up license. I spent 22 years as a scientist developing pharmaceutical dosage forms after earning a PhD.

Are job prospects tough even after my plans to volunteer to sharpen skills?

Appreciate your thoughts.

If your license is still active you should not have a problem practicing you will probably need some peer help but, if you have it on inactive status I believe you should contact your BOP for CE's and depending on how long it has been maybe even some internship hours. Good luck!

I graduated 15 years ago and due to move need to re-take naplex. Having hard time w/study. So far purchased apha complete review of pharmacy and Lange's Q & A. Seems too much material to read. Afraid info won't stick to brain. Anyone having any guidance as to where/how I should focus would be appreciated

Thanks.. I'm a little confused though. Say I am licensed in TX and 3 years later want to go to FL or CA. Do I have to take the NAPLEX again???

I justed passed the Naplex in florida after graduating in 1973..Yes, it is tough. I studied Pronto pass which I believe is very comprehensive. You will need to be aggressive with math, I believe PP math was too easy, find another source. I would suggest that if you do not have current experience then volunteer in a hospital Rx. It helped me. Focus on familiarity with patient profiles. I helped someone who passed 6 months ago and was told the entire exam is profiles and math.

Thanks.. I'm a little confused though. Say I am licensed in TX and 3 years later want to go to FL or CA. Do I have to take the NAPLEX again???

Florida has reciprocity now - it changed last year. Only California remains... You should be able to use your current Naplex For reciprocity in 49 states.

Yes, Florida now reciprocates, but only if you pass a previous NAPLEX exam. Individuals prior to 1979 usually passed state exams not Naplex

It only requires a 75 to pass the Naplex. There will be 185 questions with 150 that count. 25-35 out of those will be calculations, but they count MUCH MORE than 25-35/180. If you go into the test knowing JUST the calculations, and basically GUESS on the rest of the questions, most likely you'll still pass.

The point is, you don't even have to know that much about anything else because the NAPLEX is a test of random material. Just know the calculations DOWN COLD, and you'll be fine.

Here is my breakdown when I took the test:

185 questions total (with 35 experimental questions)

30 calculations
- Knew 25-27; good guesses on 2-3; did not know 1

155 non-calculations
- knew 60-70 questions
- good guesses on 30-40
- did not know 50+ questions

My score was 118, which was 43 more points than you needed to pass. If the non-calculations count for about 0.5 points each, you'll still have some wiggle room even if you didn't know anything for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It only requires a 75 to pass the Naplex. There will be 185 questions with 150 that count. 25-35 out of those will be calculations, but they count MUCH MORE than 25-35/180. If you go into the test knowing JUST the calculations, and basically GUESS on the rest of the questions, most likely you'll still pass.

The point is, you don't even have to know that much about anything else because the NAPLEX is a test of random material. Just know the calculations DOWN COLD, and you'll be fine.

30 calculations

155 non-calculations
- knew 60-70 questions
- good guesses on 30-40

My score was 118, which was 43 more points than you needed to pass. If the non-calculations count for about 0.5 points each, you'll still have some wiggle room even if you didn't know anything for sure.

What source did you use to prepare for the calculations?

What source did you use to prepare for the calculations?

This is where I messed up. I actually didn't study this part, or else I would have gotten them all correctly....just didn't know the calculations counted THAT much until after the exam. I spent a week going over crap about disease states and honestly, less than 7-8 questions showed up from all the stuff that I studied.

I do have this 27 page document with calculations and solutions that have done wonders for people I've sent this to. If anybody else want this, please give me a PM and I'll send it out together.

This is where I messed up. I actually didn't study this part, or else I would have gotten them all correctly....just didn't know the calculations counted THAT much until after the exam. I spent a week going over crap about disease states and honestly, less than 7-8 questions showed up from all the stuff that I studied.

I do have this 27 page document with calculations and solutions that have done wonders for people I've sent this to. If anybody else want this, please give me a PM and I'll send it out together.

I have that document as well. It's 120 problems, correct? I also have pronto pass math. I'm hoping those 2 should be good enough. I just started on it and my exam is in a few days.

Hi, Got Em:
Please check the PM I sent to you, I would like the 27 pages for calculations.

Thanks a lot

After 50 years of poor maths teaching due to the 'do gooders' of the 60s, the maths questions in UK equivalent are the stumbling block for many. Any chance of sending me the pdf via a pm.
Many thanks,
johnep

Hello Got Em, is it possible also to send me those calculations. Need these so badly. I am so bad on math. Thanks in advance.

Hi, Could you please send me a pdf of the math document? Thanks so much!:)

would someone be kind enough to send a PM with the 27 pg. pdf you are talking about.
I'm a new member here and would really appreciate.
thanks and all the best to everyone here.

If anyone has this infamous pdf, could you shoot it my way? Thanks!

I made a new thread in the forum with the attachment so that everyone can find it.

Last edited:

30 calculations

155 non-calculations
- knew 60-70 questions
- good guesses on 30-40

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still paying attention, I'd like that math pdf....thanks

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still paying attention, I'd like that math pdf....thanks

Dear rph4ever,
Pdf is attached here because you asked for help....You have 1 post by now...Let's see how much you help others after you pass the board exams...Please share your tips and secrets after you pass the board exam. Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 237
If a pharmacist who graduated in 1972 wanted to take the NAPLEX, how would they even begin to prepare? So much has changed in the world of pharmacy in the past 38 years - many not even taught when I got my BS.

I want to retire in Florida and would like to work "a bit" (it's a 38 year habit that I find hard to break) but I can't reciprocate my SC license.

Is there anyone out there who has taken (and passed) the NAPLEX after 30+ years? My experience was ~17 years in retail and 21 in hospital, but not all in direct patient care activities.

I glanced at the APhA Complete Review 6th Ed...if it's representative of the NAPLEX, maybe I should start practicing saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart, do you need a shopping cart"....

I would appreciate a bit of guidance here. I don't want to review for 6 months only to muster a failing NAPLEx score- HELP?

Hi...did you ever take the NAPLEX.....I may be in a similar situation. How did it go and what study materials did you use

Hi...did you ever take the NAPLEX.....I may be in a similar situation. How did it go and what study materials did you use
Same boat here, need to pass NAPLEX and CPJE in early 2017, 21 years out from school. I plan on using RXPREP for both.

Reactions: 1 users
Same boat here, need to pass NAPLEX and CPJE in early 2017, 21 years out from school. I plan on using RXPREP for both.
same here, 21 yrs. out of school and plan to start studying in early 2017 and take the both NAPLEX and CPJE sometimes in the Spring of 2017. Would love to hear from you after your exam and maybe purchase the materials from you? Are you planning to take NAPLEX and CPJE at around the same time or are you spacing them apart? If you are spacing them apart, do you study just for the NAPLEX first and then study the law part after you take the NAPLEX? I am trying to figure out how I should prepare and when how far advance did you apply?
Thanks for any suggestion and helps.

same here, 21 yrs. out of school and plan to start studying in early 2017 and take the both NAPLEX and CPJE sometimes in the Spring of 2017. Would love to hear from you after your exam and maybe purchase the materials from you? Are you planning to take NAPLEX and CPJE at around the same time or are you spacing them apart? If you are spacing them apart, do you study just for the NAPLEX first and then study the law part after you take the NAPLEX? I am trying to figure out how I should prepare and when how far advance did you apply?

I'm in a similar situation, too. I graduated 30 years ago, practiced for 15 years then had a family and "retired" but now that the kids are grown, I'm wanting to be relicensed. Please share with me which materials are best to prepare for the NAPLEX.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm in a similar situation, too. I graduated 30 years ago, practiced for 15 years then had a family and "retired" but now that the kids are grown, I'm wanting to be relicensed. Please share with me which materials are best to prepare for the NAPLEX.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
The best and most comprehensive thing you can get is the RxPrep course, with Book, test Banks, videos, and an app. Parts of it are overkill, but the math, PK, and Biostats stuff in it are essential**. Good luck!

Hi. I know this is old thread but did you obtain CA license? I have B.S. degree in pharmacy too and want to move to CA.

Hi
Did you obtain CA license? I was searching and happened to see your thread. I am thinking about getting CA license but I heard CA BOP is giving hard time to applicants who needs to retake NAPLEX?
Thank you!

Hi
I have graduated 2004, any advise how to prepare for NAPLEX after all these years?

Hi, Could you send me the calculations and solutions?

I am also somewhat in the same boat. It's been almost 10 years I took the Naplex and need to take the CPJE as well. I bought the 2022 Rxprep book, videos and test bank. So many changes as expected and overwhelming as well...

I was wondering are there any other pharmacist in a similar situation that have taken the new 2021 version of Naplex that can offer insight as to the best way to tackle studying and performance on Naplex?

Thanks in advance.

I have that document as well. It's 120 problems, correct? I also have pronto pass math. I'm hoping those 2 should be good enough. I just started on it and my exam is in a few days.

Hi, Got Em:
Please check the PM I sent to you, I would like the 27 pages for calculations.

Thanks a lot
Hello Got Em, can you kindly send me the answers to the calculations as well. Thank you.

Is this becoming more common that states are requiring people to retake the NAPLEX if they don't keep up their license? I knew a guy who let his license lapse and hadn't worked in pharmacy for decades. He was told he just had to do so much CE and then so many hours volunteering. This was several years ago though.

I passed NAPLEX and CPJE back in 2013. Got in a bar fight, had my license suspended by the board. Fast forward to 2021, apparently those results are invalid because they were taken before 2015… so here I am as well, having to retake exams I had already passed.
I took the NAPLEX in October, was easy. RxPrep was more than enough. Just took the CPJE on 11/22… used RxPrep (clinic/law) for that too. I probably missed 10, if I’m really unlucky maybe a few more. No idea if that is acceptable or if I will have to take it again. I guess I’ll know in 2 months or so…
Honestly, with your experience NAPLEX will be a cake walk if you brush up on some calculations. CPJE was scenario questions like, show you a Rx and ask if you would fill it, storage and control requirements, USP797/800 (basics)… You def need to know IV stability, a lot of brand/generics, and the newest guidelines for each disease state. If you’ve been practicing for that many years the drugs should be very familiar to you, but you obviously want to make sure you know MOST disease states and the latest HIV regimens. CA has some furnishing laws you should be familiar with. I admit I hadn’t practiced since 2013, but it’s like riding a bike. If you love pharmacy, it won’t be too difficult. It took me a good 6 months to get back and feel confident, but I had been working well away from pharmacy. You may not need nearly as long. Let me know if I can answer any other ?’s.

Last edited:
I passed NAPLEX and CPJE back in 2013. Got in a bar fight, had my license suspended by the board. Fast forward to 2021, apparently those results are invalid because they were taken before 2015… so here I am as well, having to retake exams I had already passed.
I took the NAPLEX in October, was easy. RxPrep was more than enough. Just took the CPJE on 11/22… used RxPrep (clinic/law) for that too. I probably missed 10, if I’m really unlucky maybe a few more. No idea if that is acceptable or if I will have to take it again. I guess I’ll know in 2 months or so…
Honestly, with your experience NAPLEX will be a cake walk if you brush up on some calculations. CPJE was scenario questions like, show you a Rx and ask if you would fill it, storage and control requirements, USP797/800 (basics)… You def need to know IV stability, a lot of brand/generics, and the newest guidelines for each disease state. If you’ve been practicing for that many years the drugs should be very familiar to you, but you obviously want to make sure you know MOST disease states and the latest HIV regimens. CA has some furnishing laws you should be familiar with. I admit I hadn’t practiced since 2013, but it’s like riding a bike. If you love pharmacy, it won’t be too difficult. It took me a good 6 months to get back and feel confident, but I had been working well away from pharmacy. You may not need nearly as long. Let me know if I can answer any other ?’s.
Regarding the CPJE, so it should be enough with the RxPrep Law course? Did you read up on the "The Script" or Weissman book? Mine is on 12/10.

I took my NAPLEX on 11/15, but no result yet. I only see status closed and two check boxes of "Purchase Rescore" and "Purchase Score Transfer". Would you happen to know if that means I passed? Waiting for snail mail sucks...

I also haven't practiced since 2014 and have to retake both exams I passed in 2012 as well.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope we will both be able to find jobs, since we have such a large employment gap. Thanks for any insight.

Regarding the CPJE, so it should be enough with the RxPrep Law course? Did you read up on the "The Script" or Weissman book? Mine is on 12/10.

I took my NAPLEX on 11/15, but no result yet. I only see status closed and two check boxes of "Purchase Rescore" and "Purchase Score Transfer". Would you happen to know if that means I passed? Waiting for snail mail sucks...

I also haven't practiced since 2014 and have to retake both exams I passed in 2012 as well.

Sorry to hear about your situation, I hope we will both be able to find jobs, since we have such a large employment gap. Thanks for any insight.
Thanks, I’m up in the bay and I’ve seen a decent amount of job postings, but I’m going to apply for some border state licenses to see if I can get remote work as well (can’t hurt).
From what I’ve seen, the two boxes haven’t appeared in CA test takers that have failed, so I think you can assume you passed… I had both and I did, but I honestly don’t know if it’s just always there or not.

CPJE I used the RxPrep CPJE for the law portion. It’s not in huge detail, but covers the big picture pretty well. And then I just used RxPrep NAPLEX to get the clinical portion done. My exam was all over the place as far as clinical so I’d just say expect anything.
There is a CPJE RxPrep FB group that is pretty good about answering questions you may have that come up. The wait for results is going to be the hardest part because I think it’s gonna be a long wait… Good luck, it wasn’t HARD, but it is a tricky exam so be sure you’re ready for the clinical as that is 90% of the exam.