Pharmacist or Anesthesiologist Assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacist or AA?

• Pharmacist

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Anesthesiologist Assistant

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iReii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum, but I felt like someone would know here.

I'm currently an undergraduate, first year in second semester.
I really want to set my mind on one field and focus on that early on, and I've been indecisive in between pharmacist or anesthesiologist assistant (AA).
I'm not the best at chemistry-related courses, but I do love biology, anatomy, etc.
Which field is more focused on biology/anatomy instead of chemistry?
Also, when is the right time to start shadowing/volunteering? How many hours did you guys do for both?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! Sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum, but I felt like someone would know here.

I'm currently an undergraduate, first year in second semester.
I really want to set my mind on one field and focus on that early on, and I've been indecisive in between pharmacist or anesthesiologist assistant (AA).
I'm not the best at chemistry-related courses, but I do love biology, anatomy, etc.
Which field is more focused on biology/anatomy instead of chemistry?
Also, when is the right time to start shadowing/volunteering? How many hours did you guys do for both?

Thanks!

Do you really think there's any biology or anatomy use during a pharmacy job?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would recommend shadowing both professions before making a decision.

Number of hours doesn't matter, as long as you learned a few thing from it.

I would also look at computer science. It offers pay just as good as AAs and pharmacists, better job prospects, and a better quality of life without the $200k+ in loans and 4+ additional years of schooling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If you're limiting yourself to choosing between becoming either an AA or a pharmacist, absolutely go to AA school instead. There are some rather shaky job market projections out there for anesthesia professionals, but none of the job market forecast models are predicting the anesthesia job market to have a glut of 50,000 - 66,000 AAs who won't be able to find jobs, which is actually the job market projection for pharmacists (these numbers are backed up by at least 2 gov't.-sponsored outlook papers).

However, I see that you're only a freshman in college, which means you still have time to change directions. Have you considered getting a nursing degree (BSN) and eventually becoming a CRNA? Depending on what states you want to work in and in what practice settings, you'll have a lot more options as a CRNA, and your income potential will be much greater as well. There are CRNAs who work 32 hours/week in outpatient plastic surgeons', podiatrists,' and other physicians' offices who earn over $200k/year and take NO call and never work weekends.

It all depends on what you want out of your career, but on the basis of common sense (and following the path of least resistance), at least choose AA school over pharmacy school so that you'll actually HAVE a career in the first place.

I hope it's not too late to chime in. Before you decide on either profession, I would encourage you to shadow both and then make your decision. I can attest as a current AA student that it's a very rewarding profession so long as you're okay with working in a very specific area. The work/life balance is great in both professions, but arguably slightly better for AAs from what I have seen. Another thing to take into account is that although AAs make more, school is pretty expensive, so you'll probably spend at least your first 5 years working paying back loans. Pharmacy is definitely more chemistry based, and I started volunteering/shadowing all throughout undergrad.

I hope it's not too late to chime in. Before you decide on either profession, I would encourage you to shadow both and then make your decision. I can attest as a current AA student that it's a very rewarding profession so long as you're okay with working in a very specific area. The work/life balance is great in both professions, but arguably slightly better for AAs from what I have seen. Another thing to take into account is that although AAs make more, school is pretty expensive, so you'll probably spend at least your first 5 years working paying back loans. Pharmacy is definitely more chemistry based, and I started volunteering/shadowing all throughout undergrad.

AA school might be expensive (although there are plenty of pharmacy schools that easily cost 2x as much as the most expensive AA program), but the OP should keep in mind that it only takes less than 2.5 years to become an AA, as compared to 4 years to become a pharmacist (add 1-2 more years of residency if you want to work as a hospital pharmacist). So the OP would have a solid 1.5-1.8 years' worth of a head-start on paying back her loans as compared to going the pharmacy route.

Comparing a program that takes half as long, results in a $20k-$50k higher starting salary, and has a promising job market outlook to one like pharmacy? No contest.

I just also want to chime in quickly, an AA doesn't have as much mobility because they are not recognized in all states, so if you are ok with working in set states then I say go for whatever...

I just also want to chime in quickly, an AA doesn't have as much mobility because they are not recognized in all states, so if you are ok with working in set states then I say go for whatever...
HumbleSloth is that you? We can't possibly have two people who like sloths on here.

HumbleSloth is that you? We can't possibly have two people who like sloths on here.
Nope, love sloths. Saw them the first time I ever went out of the country when I was 16 and I just love them :).

I can attest as a current AA student.....
Pharmacy is definitely more chemistry based, and I started volunteering/shadowing all throughout undergrad.
Few pharmacist told me there is more biology than chemistry in pharmacy. Especially not much organic chemistry

Few pharmacist told me there is more biology than chemistry in pharmacy. Especially not much organic chemistry

You will need 3 - 4 years chemistry (you will need 1 year general chemistry, organic chemistry & biochemistry minimum.)

Members don't see this ad :)
AA hands down. If I knew about AA before I went to pharmacy school I would have went to AA school.

Reactions: 4 users
AA hands down. If I knew about AA before I went to pharmacy school I would have went to AA school.
It's never too late! We have a few prior pharm students and some ex med students in our class.

Reactions: 4 users
How does one go through the route of applying and getting a position as an AA? I googled some schools but don't they have to go through some specialized training as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How does one go through the route of applying and getting a position as an AA? I googled some schools but don't they have to go through some specialized training as well?

There is a two year course and then a clinical year of training. Not bad at all. They are actually in high demand and make 95-180k a year. It's tough obviously, but way better than what the s hitfest pharmacy has turned into.

You apply through the centralized application service called CASAA. You need certain prereqs and GRE (or MCAT if applying to case western). Then you get an interview and are considered for admission. The admissions process is very similar to that of the med school admissions process. The program length is typically 24-30 months long depending on the school. The majority of programs either do 1 year of didactic and 1 year of clinicals in anesthesia specialties, or 1 year of clinical/didactic mix and 1 year of clinicals. The majority of AA job postings on gaswork.com show about a 130k starting +\- 15000. Lubbock, TX hires occasionally and starts at 170! Jobs are plentiful, but you are very limited to location.

Why are some schools 24 months and others 30? Accelerated? And are the accelerated super hard to get into?

It's never too late! We have a few prior pharm students and some ex med students in our class.

Did the ex-pharm students quit pharmacy school to attend the AA program, or did some of them fail out of pharm school? Pretty sure it's the former but just curious

Why are some schools 24 months and others 30? Accelerated? And are the accelerated super hard to get into?

The 24 month schools are looking to revamp their curriculums to become 30 month programs. The older programs used to be 24 months, but then started extending for the sake of the learning curve. I would say the 24 mo programs aren't any much harder to get into, but they'll be gone in 3-4 years!

Did the ex-pharm students quit pharmacy school to attend the AA program, or did some of them fail out of pharm school? Pretty sure it's the former but just curious

Of the ones I know yes they quit pharm school to go to AA school, and although we don't have any pharm school grads we have had a foreign MD grad come through our program. Our program accepts people from all backgrounds.

Of the ones I know yes they quit pharm school to go to AA school, and although we don't have any pharm school grads we have had a foreign MD grad come through our program. Our program accepts people from all backgrounds.

Good to know. My only hesitation is whether or not an AA program will accept me after I have attended an AA program without finishing and then also attended a pharmacy school without finishing (even though I left as a choice). Hopefully working as an anesthesia tech and doing more shadowing will be enough to get me reaccepted.

BTW, just out of curiosity... maybe I'm thinking of the wrong AA school here, but if I'm thinking of the right one, didn't the foreign MD grad end up getting kicked out of the AA program just a semester or two out from graduating due to acting like a psycho during clinicals (heard he got into an argument with a nurse and threw a pillow at her and also said he didn't like black people, among other things)?

Also, do you mind if I ask what state your school is in?

Good to know. My only hesitation is whether or not an AA program will accept me after I have attended an AA program without finishing and then also attended a pharmacy school without finishing (even though I left as a choice). Hopefully working as an anesthesia tech and doing more shadowing will be enough to get me reaccepted.

BTW, just out of curiosity... maybe I'm thinking of the wrong AA school here, but if I'm thinking of the right one, didn't the foreign MD grad end up getting kicked out of the AA program just a semester or two out from graduating due to acting like a psycho during clinicals (heard he got into an argument with a nurse and threw a pillow at her and also said he didn't like black people, among other things)?

Also, do you mind if I ask what state your school is in?

I would give it a shot! and MD grad you heard of is someone else. The foreign MD here in Houston that I know just started working, and is extremely nice, smart and non-racist. Im in the case western Houston program.

I would give it a shot! and MD grad you heard of is someone else. The foreign MD here in Houston that I know just started working, and is extremely nice, smart and non-racist. Im in the case western Houston program.

Definitely going to go for it, and if I don't get in this time, I'll just reapply next year
It's worth it.

@gwarm01 @msweph @steveysmith54 check this thread out a few posts up. I'm definitely not the first person to leave pharmacy school for AA school. If pharmacy doesn't suck, then why have there been at least several other pharm students who have left pharmacy school for AA school? And this is just at one school.

Definitely going to go for it, and if I don't get in this time, I'll just reapply next year
It's worth it.

@gwarm01 @msweph @steveysmith54 check this thread out a few posts up. I'm definitely not the first person to leave pharmacy school for AA school. If pharmacy doesn't suck, then why have there been at least several other pharm students who have left pharmacy school for AA school? And this is just at one school.

You're preaching to the choir. I'm in the process of getting my nursing school application together, hoping to get into one of those direct entry nurse practitioner programs and off of this sinking ship.

Dude ...no one cares. Pharmacy isn't great. But I'm certainly not quitting my 120K job working ,40 hours/week with 6.5 weeks vacation anytime soon.

(Note my salary/benefits are much different than the stats you keep mentioning)

Best of luck - I'm done arguing with you.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I can only imagine how nice it will be to earn a similar amount of PTO but with a $30k-$50k higher salary and OT opportunities (or at least the opportunity to get paid OT if you have to work off the clock). And I will save at least $60k in additional loans by making the switch now.

BTW, you yourself even said that Emory only starts their pharmacists out at $105k. The fact that you've been a pharmacist for a long time and have obviously climbed your way up the salary ladder doesn't really say much. The "apples-to-apples" comparison would be how much an AA/CRNA with the same number of years of experience as you earns. Most anesthesia groups (as you have probably seen from browsing job listings) top their AAs/CRNAs out at around $180k. Unless you're in CA, no pharmacist makes that. Period.

Last edited:
You're preaching to the choir. I'm in the process of getting my nursing school application together, hoping to get into one of those direct entry nurse practitioner programs and off of this sinking ship.

You have got to be kidding

Let everyone know when it actually happens. You're 28 and haven't accomplished anything.

I will not respond to you ever again. Peace PA

And that's how these SDN conversations always go -- people argue with me on the basis of bias and simply wanting to insist that pharmacy isn't as bad off as compared to all these other professions, and then when I offer evidence that there really are professions out there that cost half the amount of time/money as pharmacy to pursue, people either refuse to actually look at the evidence or they say, "well you won't be able to make it in that field, so it doesn't matter anyways." The truth is that some of the posters here are bitter that someone with my track record of failure STILL has the potential to move on to something better than pharmacy, and they don't want to face the reality that someone like me could ever be in a better career situation than them.

I would return in a few years with scanned-in photos of my AA degree and license to prove that I accomplished something worthwhile (I.e., not pharmacy), but I doubt anyone would even be willing to or capable of responding with anything other than a variation of "Yeah I'm not looking at that." Enjoy where your pharmacy career takes you. At the very least, if I fail out of AA school again, I know that there will always be desperate, fully-accredited pharmacy schools out there that will graciously accept my application (like I'd ever make that mistake again).

And that's how these SDN conversations always go -- people argue with me on the basis of bias and simply wanting to insist that pharmacy isn't as bad off as compared to all these other professions, and then when I offer evidence that there really are professions out there that cost half the amount of time/money as pharmacy to pursue, people either refuse to actually look at the evidence or they say, "well you won't be able to make it in that field, so it doesn't matter anyways." The truth is that some of the posters here are bitter that someone with my track record of failure STILL has the potential to move on to something better than pharmacy, and they don't want to face the reality that someone like me could ever be in a better career situation than them.

I would return in a few years with scanned-in photos of my AA degree and license to prove that I accomplished something worthwhile (I.e., not pharmacy), but I doubt anyone would even be willing to or capable of responding with anything other than a variation of "Yeah I'm not looking at that." Enjoy where your pharmacy career takes you. At the very least, if I fail out of AA school again, I know that there will always be desperate, fully-accredited pharmacy schools out there that will graciously accept my application (like I'd ever make that mistake again).

people argue with me on the basis of bias and simply wanting to insist that pharmacy isn't as bad off as compared to all these other professions"
I can pull up 10+ convos with RPHs on this site who have all told you pharmacy is bad. They told you DONT go to pharmacy school last year, they warned you! Literally everyone has agreed there are better careers out there at half the cost.
The truth is that some of the posters here are bitter that someone with my track record of failure STILL has the potential to move on to something better than pharmacy, and they don't want to face the reality that someone like me could ever be in a better career situation than them.
Who?? Because all of them have encouraged you to move on, all of them have encouraged you to get out there. Hell, a year ago they ALL encouraged YOU to STAY in AA school. They may have gotten sassy with you but every single time it's because you have told them that their career is basically garbage and throwing in their face how much more money you'll make. It's your OPINION NOT FACT that their career is terrible. But Here's a fact for you: they all are settled in their careers and are making 90k+ after taxes, while you don't know what your next move is. You can say your applying, you can say you talked to such n such and they said blah n blah, but actually getting IN and STAYING IN and GRADUATING is a different story.

Everyone here strongly hopes you move ON. Ive seen RPHs begging you to move on.
Just. Do. It.
Good luck on your application cycle.