Pharmacist IV Certification Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently didn't get a job because the contractor lady said pharmacists must be IV certified (it was an infusion gig).

Is this true? I checked the board's rules, and it seems you just need to take some CEs? What's the story in TX?

Members don't see this ad.

lmao...jesus lord...gonna need certification to mix these amox suspensions soon. oh yeah...gotta pay 300$ to keep that cert up each year.

seriously? wtf? doesn't that fall under your basic education/license?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd call "IV certification" BS, but applying for an infusion job with little to no prior experience might put you at the bottom of the stack.

Contractor lady might not know what she's talking about.

This is true, most pharmacy schools in Texas provide this now.

Please see Chapter 291, Subchapter G: 291.133 :

(I) complete through a single course, a minimum of 20 hours of instruction and experience in the areas listed in paragraph (4)(D) of this subsection. Such training shall be obtained through completion of a recognized course in an accredited college of pharmacy or a course sponsored by an ACPE accredited provider;

Once hired there will also be some on-the-job training, ours involved a DVD/Test about USP 797:

(II) complete a structured on-the-job didactic and experiential training program at this pharmacy which provides sufficient hours of instruction and experience in the facility's sterile compounding processes and procedures. Such training may not be transferred to another pharmacy unless the pharmacies are under common ownership and control and use a common training program; and

Additionally, for CE requirements:
(iii) In order to renew a license to practice pharmacy, during the previous licensure period, a pharmacist engaged in sterile compounding shall complete a minimum of:
(I) two hours of ACPE-accredited continuing education relating to one or more of the areas listed in paragraph (4)(D) of this subsection if the pharmacist is engaged in compounding low and medium risk sterile preparations; or
(II) four hours of ACPE-accredited continuing education relating to one or more of the areas listed in paragraph (4)(D) of this subsection if the pharmacist is engaged in compounding high risk sterile preparations.

There is also a requirement now for 1 hour of CE related to pharmacy law