Pharmacist FT vs floater

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is better? I heard bad things about being a CVS staff pharmacist, such as you have to meet the metrics, # of scripts etc. But as a floater, you have to float to different stores... and I personally don't like floating around, especially taking into account the terrible traffic.

Would anyone take floater position (driving distance ~1hr) over staff pharmacist position (need to move out to the area)?

Anyone knows if that's possible to transfer to a district closer when you've already accepted an offer somewhere further away?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. The pressure. You go in, do your job, do what the state board requires, do what the company requires, go home, and forget about it. Yes, you still have to do what is required for hitting the metrics etc, but if the guy coming in the next day is a lazy slob who can't verify anything on time, what do you care? You're a floater and it's not your store. You don't lay awake at night worrying about it.

2. The drama. If you spend 40 hours a week with the same little group of people, there is drama. People complain about each other. Techs complain to you because the PIC didn't give them a raise, or a good schedule, or the right days off. As a floater, you are sheltered from all this.

3. The people. You get to see a new group of people all the time. If you do them a good job, help out, and bust your butt, they will practically cheer next time they see you walk in.

4. Variety. You don't get stuck in a rut.

Some people will disagree, but I hated being a staff pharmacist and love being a floater.

Reactions: 7 users
1. The pressure. You go in, do your job, do what the state board requires, do what the company requires, go home, and forget about it. Yes, you still have to do what is required for hitting the metrics etc, but if the guy coming in the next day is a lazy slob who can't verify anything on time, what do you care? You're a floater and it's not your store. You don't lay awake at night worrying about it.

2. The drama. If you spend 40 hours a week with the same little group of people, there is drama. People complain about each other. Techs complain to you because the PIC didn't give them a raise, or a good schedule, or the right days off. As a floater, you are sheltered from all this.

3. The people. You get to see a new group of people all the time. If you do them a good job, help out, and bust your butt, they will practically cheer next time they see you walk in.

Some people will disagree, but I hated being a staff pharmacist and love being a floater.

good points!!!! May I ask if you are a pharmacist at CVS? How many hours do they require you to work each week?

Reactions: 1 user
I float, the commute can suck sometimes. I'm almost always going 45-1:30min out with traffic. It has it's benefits though. Seemingly lower pressure, you get to see all kinds of pharmacies and how they run, less stress with store metrics, and you can build a more known reputation if you do a good job. I'd much MUCH rather stay floating than work in a crazy store. Better to float than be locked in a crazy pharmacy as staff.

Reactions: 2 users
I float, the commute can suck sometimes. I'm almost always going 45-1:30min out with traffic. It has it's benefits though. Seemingly lower pressure, you get to see all kinds of pharmacies and how they run, less stress with store metrics, and you can build a more known reputation if you do a good job. I'd much MUCH rather stay floating than work in a crazy store. Better to float than be locked in a crazy pharmacy as staff.

Traffic here sucks all the time... I am afraid that hrs for floaters are not stable...

It all depends. Here's how I rank the jobs based on stress/hours worked/hours worked unpaid, etc:

1) Overnight FT at mid level store
2) FT Float (40 hours base)
3) FT Staff at mid level or lower store
4) FT Float (30 hours base)
5) Overnight FT at high volume store
6) PIC at mid or lower level store
7) FT Staff at high volume store
8) PIC at high volume store

Reactions: 4 users
Floater: get to leave the chaos once your shift is up, but you're first to get your hours cut, and you may be bullied into becoming staff if you're too well liked.

Staff: get to live the nightmare daily if you're placed at a bad store, but you usually get more hours and aren't usually scheduled for some shifts the day before.

Staff:: you'll stay an hour extra each day trying to do extra work without pay.

Floater:: you'll spend that time stuck in traffic. ^_^

Reactions: 6 users

As a floater if you close though expect to stay late at most poorly staffed stores. You'll close with stuff still left to do and if it's not finished people get mad. Some managers will expect you to stay an hour after closing to finish up stuff in queues or whatever else needs done that day that you couldn't finish because there is no "downtime" to do it while open.

As a floater if you close though expect to stay late at most poorly staffed stores. You'll close with stuff still left to do and if it's not finished people get mad. Some managers will expect you to stay an hour after closing to finish up stuff in queues or whatever else needs done that day that you couldn't finish because there is no "downtime" to do it while open.

To hell with that. It ain't my fault your store is run like ****. If I'm a floater, I'm out at close, period.

Reactions: 2 users
To hell with that. It ain't my fault your store is run like ****. If I'm a floater, I'm out at close, period.
I'd stay 15-30 minutes after max, just stack the printouts nicely and clean up the counter as much as possible to ease the morning shift. Have confidence that most floaters leave it in worse state than you, so their complaints are likely mere words.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd stay 15-30 minutes after max, just stack the printouts nicely and clean up the counter as much as possible to ease the morning shift. Have confidence that most floaters leave it in worse state than you, so their complaints are likely mere words.

It is bad either way... Pharmacy is so messed up now...

Nooooo, don't print out any labels you aren't going to fill.

Nooooo, don't print out any labels you aren't going to fill.
Haha I wish, I think intercom+ prints automatically if promise time is in like ~1 hour or so.

This completely depends on the individual store. If it's one where everyone is well trained and they get along I'd go with the staff position. I've been to horrible stores where the techs fight each other, pharmacy manager plays favorites, etc. I'd rather go float vs relive that type of work environment day in and day out.

I'd love to stay an hour extra if I get paid for it. No pay? I'm going home lol

Reactions: 1 users

I'd love to stay an hour extra if I get paid for it. No pay? I'm going home lol

If I knew there were no consequences for not working unpaid I would leave at my time being due. If you leave things in the queues because it was busy and you couldn't get to them some managers will just write you up for it, essentially meaning you get in trouble if you don't work off the clock because you didn't have the staff or had circumstances resulting in not all the scripts being done.

I would alternate between staff and floating and get the best of both worlds.

This completely depends on the individual store. If it's one where everyone is well trained and they get along I'd go with the staff position. I've been to horrible stores where the techs fight each other, pharmacy manager plays favorites, etc. I'd rather go float vs relive that type of work environment day in and day out.

I agree. The problem is that I have never been to the store and won't be able to know whether it is good or not...

I would alternate between staff and floating and get the best of both worlds.

There aren't any openings around my area, even for floater position; so I had to go further away and get that staff position

If I knew there were no consequences for not working unpaid I would leave at my time being due. If you leave things in the queues because it was busy and you couldn't get to them some managers will just write you up for it.

They don't really have the authority to do that. I've only not gotten everything done one time when floating, so if it doesn't get done, it's the fault of the person that can't run their damned pharmacy.

Another sad thread. Never stay over and you cannot be written up for leaving on time.

The goal should always be staff over floater. Why would you want to add HOURS to your day? I talk to floaters regularly and they always talk about how horrible their shifts are. They constantly have to close then open getting little sleep between since they have to drive over an hour at times. I also ask about how stores are ran and most run well so don't get caught up with all these people saying every store is a mess. It's actually a very small percent. Finally you will find the job much easier when you are used to your doctors scripts and their offices. This saves a ton of time.

Another sad thread. Never stay over and you cannot be written up for leaving on time.

The goal should always be staff over floater. Why would you want to add HOURS to your day? I talk to floaters regularly and they always talk about how horrible their shifts are. They constantly have to close then open getting little sleep between since they have to drive over an hour at times. I also ask about how stores are ran and most run well so don't get caught up with all these people saying every store is a mess. It's actually a very small percent. Finally you will find the job much easier when you are used to your doctors scripts and their offices. This saves a ton of time.

If you live in a major population center, it's great. In my district, the furthest I had to travel was 40 minutes to the weird district outlier store in North Philly. Which, in my biased opinion, is the most hellish store in the history of CVS. Those days sucked. And I only went that store when the "regular" floater there wasn't available. Maybe 5 times in 6 months. 90% of the shifts I floated to were within 20 minutes of my house.

This is simple. Most retail pharmacists do not want to bear the burden of accountability. Being accountable for a pharmacy's performance, knowing the patients, knowing the prescribers, etc. Teaching techs, learning procedures etc. FFS when I "have" to float to other stores I have to teach techs stuff their PIC never taught them.

Everyones situation is different, I rarely meet a floater who enjoys it.

Umm no...don't be a pushover. Max i'll stay is 15 minutes.

Again...it's a trade-off. Floaters deal with a lot of bs but they are also not responsible for a bunch of bs...like "how many shingle shots did you do today?" kinda bs. I've been a floater, staff, and rxm and now part-time. I'd say the best gig has got to be this one guy in my district who is a steady floater between two stores. He's never at any one store long enough to be held responsible for silly metrics, disciplinary actions, and other mumbo jumbo.

I would rank..

1) staff rph
Pros: stable hrs, u know ur team
Cons: metric. And if u stuck w bad pic or techs... you're doomed.

2) overnight rph
Pros: no metric. No phone call. 7 days on & 7 days off!
Cons : all random c2 customers, switch body cycle every 7 days. You have no one to help you.

3) floater rph
Pros: no metric. Just work ur shift and leave
Cons: tech not listening to u. All closing shifts on thurs, fri. They cut your hours first. (3-4days a week)

Hey guys. This is probably a stupid question but how does one go about finding a floater position??

Not sure about staying late, if anyone could stay late 1-2h every damn day, you will get tons of OTs, 10-20h/paycheck. Boss will call you (if you are in BFE, you get some leniency, they can't just replace you... Yet... Wait until 2020 rolls out, you will get replaced too). Staff/manager will try to kick you out as soon as your time is up, they don't want you to incur OT.

Not sure about staying late, if anyone could stay late 1-2h every damn day, you will get tons of OTs, 10-20h/paycheck. Boss will call you (if you are in BFE, you get some leniency, they can't just replace you... Yet... Wait until 2020 rolls out, you will get replaced too). Staff/manager will try to kick you out as soon as your time is up, they don't want you to incur OT.

We were salaried, donated time was an expectation. Even being salaried though if they didnt schedule you for 40 hr you didnt get paid your full salary amount :)

Hey guys. This is probably a stupid question but how does one go about finding a floater position??
Start with people you know in the area you are looking.

Check out indeed.com, glassdoor, pharmacyweek.com.

Call independents if there are any left in your area.

The market is tough this year - I wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
There is no OT for salaried floater for staying late..
Beauty of hourly pay in CA...

0 mins staying if you are salaried. If you need to stay over, they need to hire more help.

I realize this is an old post but what is PTO like? Do you give your availability or are just expected to work whenever there is a shift available? For example for a particular week can I say I'm available M/Tu/W/Th and then take F/Sat/Sun off?

here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 4.50.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 4.50.46 PM.png
    698.7 KB · Views: 103
It all depends. Here's how I rank the jobs based on stress/hours worked/hours worked unpaid, etc:

1) Overnight FT at mid level store
2) FT Float (40 hours base)
3) FT Staff at mid level or lower store
4) FT Float (30 hours base)
5) Overnight FT at high volume store
6) PIC at mid or lower level store
7) FT Staff at high volume store
8) PIC at high volume store
dude this is awesome :)

kek'd and checked

If I knew there were no consequences for not working unpaid I would leave at my time being due. If you leave things in the queues because it was busy and you couldn't get to them some managers will just write you up for it, essentially meaning you get in trouble if you don't work off the clock because you didn't have the staff or had circumstances resulting in not all the scripts being done.
you realize working unpaid is a violation of federal minimum wage laws right? technically....

I never looked at PTO closely at CVS but 14 years to get 4 weeks of PTO.... who lasts even 10 years at CVS these days starting out as a new grad, not some Longs Drugs or SavOn carryover

I never looked at PTO closely at CVS but 14 years to get 4 weeks of PTO.... who lasts even 10 years at CVS these days starting out as a new grad, not some Longs Drugs or SavOn carryover
And 4 weeks as in 20 days, not 28 days right?

And 4 weeks as in 20 days, not 28 days right?

What's the difference? Say a banker takes a week off, they are taking 5 work days off not 7.

What's the difference? Say a banker takes a week off, they are taking 5 work days off not 7.
I get that. But if by “4 weeks” you mean 4x7=28 days then in actuality you have 5.5 weeks of “time off”.

I get that. But if by “4 weeks” you mean 4x7=28 days then in actuality you have 5.5 weeks of “time off”.
Gotcha, I usually assume when people say they get 4 weeks vacation, they literally mean 4 weeks.

Yeah 4 weeks being 160 hrs

I realize this is an old post but what is PTO like? Do you give your availability or are just expected to work whenever there is a shift available? For example for a particular week can I say I'm available M/Tu/W/Th and then take F/Sat/Sun off?

It depends on your status:

If you’re prn float, you can generally just give your availability and let the chips fall where they may. You may work zero hours one pay period, or you may get scheduled every day you volunteer for. You’ll likely get no PTO.

If you’re part time float, you may or may not have some sort of set days. Taking time off will be between you and the scheduler, but usually still no PTO.

If you’re full time float, you are (or at least should be) guaranteed some minimum number of hours. You’re schedule is probably completely dependent on the needs of the scheduler. If y’all have a good relationship and the district has some flexibility at the time, you may get some ability to preference specific times. I wouldn’t count on it in general, especially when the proverbial poop hits the fan. Expect that you’ll likely work approximately half the weekends. If you want to preference a day off, you’ll probably be more successful with Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday than you would be with Friday through Monday.

In any of these, you are very likely to work a bunch of short shifts (~6hr) that are less bang for your buck than a 10-12 hr shift.