PGY4 freaking out about retaking Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guytakingboards

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
American graduate who did 240 Step 1, 237 2CK, Passed CS.

Went for a competitive sub-specialty and had a lot of rotations fourth year that taught me no useful medicine for Step 3. Didn't match. Scrambled into gen surg prelim. Took an out-of-match spot in radiology.

Took Step 3 for the first time 2 months into PGY-2 rads. Failed with a 189. Put off the test for a long ass time. Realized applying for fellowships during PGY-4 year that a lot of programs were requiring step 3 pass for interview/requirement for fellowship. Applied with a failure on the record and a statement saying it was being retaken in December.

Started studying again, doing untimed/tumor Uworld over a month, scored in the mid-50%'s typically for about a month. Took the UWSA and got a 188 1 week before the test. Freaked out. Bought MTB and have been frantically trying to read this thing cover to cover in a week. Did all 51 CSS cases one time through. Took a week off to study.

Today is the day before the test and I freaked out again and moved the test back to the latest available date in december (12/13).

Now i've got another 11 days to study. Whats the best most high-yield way to improve my score? I noticed I was really struggling with medicine, particularly the CSS cases. On the USWA I was below average in medicine, psych and peds.

Should I buy the Archer videos? Should I buy the NBME's. Should I try to get scheduling extension and try to get to take the test in january? all thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks,

guytakingboards

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not Archer at this stage. Redo CCS from UW, and all of them, including the printable ones, not just the simulated cases. I am surprised that you score that low in medicine, with good scores in step 1 and CK... maybe refresh your memory with some skimming on FA for step1, re read again all your notes from UW, re read psych from FA step 1 which was good basics, for peds MTB 2&3 are good too...If you are not in a hurry to get the results by the end of December for your fellowship, you may want to reschedule it in January. Maybe 11 days are ok to increase your score by at least 10 points, but you can try to get an idea where you stand with an nbme in a couple of days. Good luck!

However if your fellowship is very competitive and you need to ace step 3 to get into, probably the answer to your question is obvious....

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not Archer at this stage. Redo CCS from UW, and all of them, including the printable ones, not just the simulated cases. I am surprised that you score that low in medicine, with good scores in step 1 and CK... maybe refresh your memory with some skimming on FA for step1, re read again all your notes from UW, re read psych from FA step 1 which was good basics, for peds MTB 2&3 are good too...If you are not in a hurry to get the results by the end of December for your fellowship, you may want to reschedule it in January. Maybe 11 days are ok to increase your score by at least 10 points, but you can try to get an idea where you stand with an nbme in a couple of days. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I found that uworld was consistently really difficult with the management questions. I never managed most of those conditions and don't understand how people do so well when their intern year doesn't cover most of that stuff. I'm frazzled to be honest.

I'll do the NBME in a couple of days. I think stamina is a big part of my problem because i did untimed tumor mode through the Q-bank instead of timed.