Perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drew Hernandez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have 20 credits in basic courses. I am uncertain what classes i need to take to qualify or attain an applied science degree. i know a BS is more valuable? But from my research an AS seems to be a bit faster and allows qualification for an OTA or PTA progams

I see 70 credits is an average standard to attain an AS and then another 70-120 credits for a PTA progam for a total of ~140-190 credits?

I currently have NASM CPerstonalTraining/CPR/AED and 2 semesters of courses such as ENG and MATH, aquatic aerobics cert, yoga cert.

I have not finished level 2 anatomy/physiology or psychology II, i do not have physics credits either.

I am in florida and polk is nearest to me so most likely it will be a choice.

currently working out of a retirement community (55+ blair inc. communities) applying prehab and rehab movements and knowledge. Using both seated/standing/supine exercises as well as aquatic aerobics and yoga!!

thank you for your responses as advice from past experiences.

Admission Requirements | Polk State College

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need an associates degree before becoming a PTA or OTA. I'd save the money and just apply to those programs, because they themselves are associates degrees.

there has got to be a pre req to go with entering a PTA program? and a good GPA? i dont feel like im close to being able to be a PTA within 14 months

Members don't see this ad :)
At least most schools around me, there's literally no prereqs for a PTA degree. It's offered to people right out of high school. A DPT is one thing, as it's an advanced degree, but PTA is an associates degree itself. Probably gen eds built into the curriculum, but not that you need to complete beforehand.

Ok, would attending a state school make better sense than an 18 month program at Keiser university? Or with my current job can i be accepted as a PTA among physicians as long as I have complete any form of program? (Besides competing with other PTAs with prestigious schools)